Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Course Lock for Inspire 2?

Reaction score
I have had the Inspire 1 since it first came out and Love it... I just recently received my Inspire 2... I ordered the premium combo with X5S and I also ordered the X4S, I received the Inspire 2 from Adorama and the X4S but there has been some type of mixup with the X5S and I have not received it yet. I live and fly in a heavily mountainous region of Central Idaho near the Salmon and Snake Rivers... In order to get the shots that I want for my videos I have to fly a considerable distance from where I am standing to get the views... As a result, sometimes I get disoriented as to the direction the Inspire is flying... With the Inspire 1 and DJI GO App it's easy to get it back by just flipping the switch to F and selecting course lock, However with the Inspire 2 and the DJI GO 4 App that option is not currently available... On the DJI forum one of the members believes that it will eventually be added via a future firmware upgrade - I hope he is correct! In the meantime what are your suggestions regarding orientation... The FPV view really doesn't help me determine that when the drone is in the mountains or flying down a curvy river and even though I can see the drone it is pretty much just a spec, can't make out the green or red lights... How do y'all deal with that situation without course lock? I don't want to use return to home unless absolutely necessary because I will loose my shot... Any suggestions would be very welcome...

I have had the Inspire 1 since it first came out and Love it... I just recently received my Inspire 2... I ordered the premium combo with X5S and I also ordered the X4S, I received the Inspire 2 from Adorama and the X4S but there has been some type of mixup with the X5S and I have not received it yet. I live and fly in a heavily mountainous region of Central Idaho near the Salmon and Snake Rivers... In order to get the shots that I want for my videos I have to fly a considerable distance from where I am standing to get the views... As a result, sometimes I get disoriented as to the direction the Inspire is flying... With the Inspire 1 and DJI GO App it's easy to get it back by just flipping the switch to F and selecting course lock, However with the Inspire 2 and the DJI GO 4 App that option is not currently available... On the DJI forum one of the members believes that it will eventually be added via a future firmware upgrade - I hope he is correct! In the meantime what are your suggestions regarding orientation... The FPV view really doesn't help me determine that when the drone is in the mountains or flying down a curvy river and even though I can see the drone it is pretty much just a spec, can't make out the green or red lights... How do y'all deal with that situation without course lock? I don't want to use return to home unless absolutely necessary because I will loose my shot... Any suggestions would be very welcome...
1. Look at the radar screen and the triangle graphic of the aircraft, that gives orientation
2. Fly back along the straight line plot to home position
3. Pull up the map and fly back to the blue dot
4. Learn to orientate your aircraft at a distance by practicing orientation techniques using right stick input and yaw.
5. Any of the above

Reactions: dec and DaddyDe
One thing to be aware of Ed (and I don't know if this was the case with the I1), on the I2 you can either have the 'radar' or the map on screen, not both. I've been used to having the radar in the bottom LHS and the map bottom RHS of the screen with the P4, but on the I2 the FPV pilot feed is bottom RHS and either the radar or map bottom rhs. You can't drag the map around to have radar/map/fpv on the bottom :( .

One way...the FPV cam view does show an attitude roll indicator bar and also has a small yellow circled H on the horizon to indicate the home point which moves around as you yaw the aircraft. I've not quite worked out yet what denotes the Home point being behind you as opposed to being in front though as the H is always visible IIRC! I have found it usefull when getting used to the aircraft handling doing rapid turns and have been trying to quickly get bearings once I've finished the manouvre.

The other way...the map display always shows a straight green line from the ac back to the RC, if you put the tip of the aircraft arrow pointing back down that green line, then it'll be heading 'home' as opposed to away - you don't need see the nav lights. Don't use the green view fan from the aircraft as that denotes the x4s or x5s's view, not the aircraft's.

So, your best bet is to pull up the map, orient the aircraft so the arrow points back along the green line to the controller, then switch it back over to radar view, maximise the FPV, see what's ahead and try and navigate back towards the yellow H on the horizon - avoiding cliffs/trees etc on curves along the way.

Hope that makes sense and helps!

Reactions: DaddyDe
One thing to be aware of Ed (and I don't know if this was the case with the I1), on the I2 you can either have the 'radar' or the map on screen, not both. I've been used to having the radar in the bottom LHS and the map bottom RHS of the screen with the P4, but on the I2 the FPV pilot feed is bottom RHS and either the radar or map bottom rhs. You can't drag the map around to have radar/map/fpv on the bottom :( .

One way...the FPV cam view does show an attitude roll indicator bar and also has a small yellow circled H on the horizon to indicate the home point which moves around as you yaw the aircraft. I've not quite worked out yet what denotes the Home point being behind you as opposed to being in front though as the H is always visible IIRC! I have found it usefull when getting used to the aircraft handling doing rapid turns and have been trying to quickly get bearings once I've finished the manouvre.

The other way...the map display always shows a straight green line from the ac back to the RC, if you put the tip of the aircraft arrow pointing back down that green line, then it'll be heading 'home' as opposed to away - you don't need see the nav lights. Don't use the green view fan from the aircraft as that denotes the x4s or x5s's view, not the aircraft's.

So, your best bet is to pull up the map, orient the aircraft so the arrow points back along the green line to the controller, then switch it back over to radar view, maximise the FPV, see what's ahead and try and navigate back towards the yellow H on the horizon - avoiding cliffs/trees etc on curves along the way.

I found your explanation EXCELLENT!

Reactions: DaddyDe
1. Look at the radar screen and the triangle graphic of the aircraft, that gives orientation
2. Fly back along the straight line plot to home position
3. Pull up the map and fly back to the blue dot
4. Learn to orientate your aircraft at a distance by practicing orientation techniques using right stick input and yaw.
5. Any of the above

Thank you "Ed"... Very Helpful and I very much appreciate the guidance...

Wow! Excellent Feedback... Thank you very much for taking the time to put this together. This is extremely helpful to me and may save me from loosing one of my birds. I truly appreciate the feedback and hope that others like me might find your advice helpful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EthanV875