Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

CPU Overload Warning

Reaction score
If you've been on the DJI Forums lately, you've noticed the growing trend with the latest Inspire 1 firmware of the CPU Overload Warning alert even on some of the newest of iPad devices...

I was wondering if anyone here is having the same issue. I know I am and it's hit me hard recently, I run an iPad Mini 2 and it doesn't take more then 5 - 10 minutes before it's making my video cut out and screen respond poorly.

Only have experienced motor overload warning, but never the CPU overload warning so far... When it's about motor warning, just slow down for a while it's enough....
But CPU overload warning must be totally different thing, maybe the cooler inside it is not working and it is over-heating the unit??

Weird, I upgraded to the latest firmware (like many others on the DJI website/forum) and using my iPad I get a CPU Overload warning and it causes issues w/ the video display.

wait a minute, is it an Ipad CPU overload warning, not the bird CPU right? if so, check the videos on the memory card if the video it is OK then it's the new application version too heavy for the ipad 2 (**** consumer system) they force us to keep spending everyday more and more!!!!

wait a minute, is it an Ipad CPU overload warning, not the bird CPU right? if so, check the videos on the memory card if the video it is OK then it's the new application version too heavy for the ipad 2 (**** consumer system) they force us to keep spending everyday more and more!!!!

Yeah, it's the new application. It's not just the iPad 2 though, some people went out and dropped big bucks on the new iPad Pro and are still having issues.

I'm on iPad mini 2 and getting the error as well. I'm also getting compass error/no gps switch to attic error. Quite annoying. I've debated iPad Pro but talked myself out of it due to cost and it not being a curative.

I also am having the problem. Strong up and down signal bars but horrible video. I hope DJI reads these posts.total screen freezing.

I've had the same issue and fly for a television show full time. Out of 100 approximately flights this season about 25 had this problem bad enough to make the video link barely usable, and just pointing the camera in the general direction and hoping for the best produced just enough luck to keep me employed. So well motivated by that, I did some extensive testing and this is what I came up with...

As I believe it is a bug in go4 that causes more heat than normal in "l" devices, I took care of the more technical things first, like dumbing down the iPad so absolutely no other applications were running in the background, (there are a lot of settings that keep things running in the background, and it takes a long time, so just selecting a couple of off switches is far from making it as docile as possible, a few big ones I listed here ) no Wi-Fi, airplane mode, no video cache, and depending where I am operating, selecting the best RF band/channel for good measure. Even though I've tested that particular option extensively, sometimes auto is the most appropriate. Your mileage may vary as they say.
I operate mostly in Southern California, but travel to other states as the Shoot schedule dictates, but we are in the middle of a particularly hot summer right now, and I get maybe 1 flight before it's unusable, so my absolutely low-tech solution was just to deny the iPads the heat they seem to want.

I borrowed my daughters insulated lunch bag with an ice brick, and while keeping the iPads in their cases, and wrapped in a plastic bag to help avoid condensation brought them
out just before the flight, and returned them when we moved between set-ups. The result, crisp clean video.
Hope this helps, I look forward to any other solutions or suggestions anyone might have.

Cheers,

Joe

Reactions: Nola DroneWORX
I'm predicting more trouble like this as DJI pushes their Crystal Sky display. All of these device problems started when that was released

Reactions: Lloyd
are people seriously having issues with they iPad pros? I just about bought two 10.5" yesterday and am considering but at 1200 each that would be a HUGE loss if they couldn't handle DJI's updates

I have had that error often/lately on my ipad 10.5, i typically just ignore as it doesnt seem to affect my bird in any negative way, although it does make me a bit nervous.

I'm not purchasing anything until there is a def concensus of what works and doesn't. Not going broke because these people play thier games.
I'm not quite sure how it's legally ok for them to have control as they do over an and users product as far as NFZ goes. This is a decision that should be left to the pilot. Esp with us who are commercial.

After seeing a you tube video about the problem, it was also aligned to Go4, suggesting to turn off video caching and hardware encoding.
I tried the same and were running two batteries without any issues. Before I changed it I had that CPU warning already on the table making some settings.

I don't say it's a fix but it might work as a workaround until DJI fix it.

I am running the go app as I have an inspire 1 x5r and it is un useable with iPad minis and has progressively gotten worse I have been trouble shooting this problem for months and have tried clearing the iPads video caching and hardware encoding to no avail. I am currently using iPhone 6s x2 but even they have become glitchy I.E. Lag and black screens. I would like to wait it out as Shannon has suggested but I too need to fly for business purposes and can not afford to stay grounded.

it is nut that after all this investment they have bricked my system due to firmware upgrades. I am scared to purchase an iPad Pro and really don't want a clear sky monitor. I am feeling forced to purchase clear sky which just makes me feel like this is being done intentionally to steer people towards there Newley delivered monitor. I am super unhappy! not sure what to do. may have to bight the bullet and buy there Bull**** monitor.

Anyone with any proven thoughts on the subject? I would greatly appreciate any and all advice.

I am running the go app as I have an inspire 1 x5r and it is un useable with iPad minis and has progressively gotten worse I have been trouble shooting this problem for months and have tried clearing the iPads video caching and hardware encoding to no avail. I am currently using iPhone 6s x2 but even they have become glitchy I.E. Lag and black screens. I would like to wait it out as Shannon has suggested but I too need to fly for business purposes and can not afford to stay grounded.

it is nut that after all this investment they have bricked my system due to firmware upgrades. I am scared to purchase an iPad Pro and really don't want a clear sky monitor. I am feeling forced to purchase clear sky which just makes me feel like this is being done intentionally to steer people towards there Newley delivered monitor. I am super unhappy! not sure what to do. may have to bight the bullet and buy there Bull**** monitor.

Anyone with any proven thoughts on the subject? I would greatly appreciate any and all advice.

I'm with you on the whole Crystal Sky issue, I get more use out of the iPad then a dedicated monitor for the drone.

Just went and bought two Samsung galaxy s3 tablets hoping that maybe it was partially just an apple app issue and they were better then the iPad mini but still dropped signal and the app kept shutting down. at a cost of 1700 dollars that is not cool! I will be returning but where does that leave us, crystal sky??

Just went and bought two Samsung galaxy s3 tablets hoping that maybe it was partially just an apple app issue and they were better then the iPad mini but still dropped signal and the app kept shutting down. at a cost of 1700 dollars that is not cool! I will be returning but where does that leave us, crystal sky??

Well you see, that's my concern. If they're doing this on purpose to hope that everyone rushes out to get a Crystal Sky then their asses better get in gear and start pumping it out and tell us that as well. Also, my concern with going with the Crystal Sky is you end up limit yourself in terms of versatility. I like the fact that I can go fly the drone, download some media to my iPad for my client so I can preview it with them and do things as such. In addition, being able to work on the road and utilize applications is a plus, my tablet also does my mileage tracking and other business related functions.

Tried again today with my Ipad mini 2. I have disabled video caching and hardware encoding. I'm running the latest FW on my Inspire 1 and I'm on 3.1.13. Notably is I have only the GO and the GO 4 app installed. Other than that it's a clean iOS install. I did run a couple of batteries on my P4. Then one TB48 battery in my Inspire 1. I had no issues. Temp was 24 Celsius and partly cloudy.

You having the CPU overload issues. Do you use the devices solely for the GO app or do you have other apps as well? And did you try disable video caching and hardware encoding in the app?

Tried again today with my Ipad mini 2. I have disabled video caching and hardware encoding. I'm running the latest FW on my Inspire 1 and I'm on 3.1.13. Notably is I have only the GO and the GO 4 app installed. Other than that it's a clean iOS install. I did run a couple of batteries on my P4. Then one TB48 battery in my Inspire 1. I had no issues. Temp was 24 Celsius and partly cloudy.

You having the CPU overload issues. Do you use the devices solely for the GO app or do you have other apps as well? And did you try disable video caching and hardware encoding in the app?

I have no disabled hardware encoding nor disabled video caching. I use my iPad for more then just the Go Application because well - it's a multi purpose tablet as it is designed to be and according to DJI, it's a acceptable device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegetour