Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Crazy Idea? Convert DJI S1000 to x5 and DJI GO?

Reaction score
Website
www.airnashville.net
When I first decided to "go pro" as a UAV operator a few years back, the real pro solution was an S1000 flying a Zenmuse with Cannon 5Dmk3 underneath and a full Pelican case of support equipment. The Inspire 1 came along and I started using my S1000 less and less. Then the Phantom 4 Pro and the Inspire 2 were incorporated into my fleet and, now it's been in the hanger for a couple of years. I've seen where some of the independent dealers have been converting S1000 to fly with DJI GO and use an x5 or other DJI camera solution. Does anyone on this forum have any personal experience with this? If nothing else, it would be a great sales prop.

Thanks in advance!

Can be done very easily now with the below and I know one unit flying an X5R with good results.

DJI A3 or N3 Flight Controller
DJI Lightbridge 2
X Series Adapter
Then you can use X3/X5/X5R or XT Camera.

You can also add DJI Rtk or turn the Controllers into the Pro with multiple IMU’s and GPS units for the A3 and N3.

Reactions: Dr. Ifly Drones
Yea actually did this on a custom airframe we designed and had cut from sheets of carbon fiber. We installed an A3 and LB2. The LB2 unit gives us 2 HD video feeds back to the DJI Go App if we want both of them for something. We installed a regular 2 axis gimbal because the purpose of this copter was to carry a large DSLR with a big lens. We then installed the M600 channel expander unit on the DJI remote controller to give us extra knobs and switches to integrate some camera control and gimbal control. We even used the DJI Tuned Propulsion System (although we could have used KDE or T-Motor for ESCs and Motors). We run it on regular LIPO batteries instead of the DJI batteries. It would also be an incredibly simple switch from the big gimbal and camera we are using to the X3 / X5 / X5R / XT. It is essentially the same internal components as the M600.

If you are interested in photos or want a hand talking through the conversion of your S1000 just let us know. We would be happy to help.

Yea actually did this on a custom airframe we designed and had cut from sheets of carbon fiber. We installed an A3 and LB2. The LB2 unit gives us 2 HD video feeds back to the DJI Go App if we want both of them for something. We installed a regular 2 axis gimbal because the purpose of this copter was to carry a large DSLR with a big lens. We then installed the M600 channel expander unit on the DJI remote controller to give us extra knobs and switches to integrate some camera control and gimbal control. We even used the DJI Tuned Propulsion System (although we could have used KDE or T-Motor for ESCs and Motors). We run it on regular LIPO batteries instead of the DJI batteries. It would also be an incredibly simple switch from the big gimbal and camera we are using to the X3 / X5 / X5R / XT. It is essentially the same internal components as the M600.

If you are interested in photos or want a hand talking through the conversion of your S1000 just let us know. We would be happy to help.

First, thanks so much for sharing this information. When I look at the parts I see the N3 costs less than a third of the A3 controller. Is the N3 an option and aside from redundancies, is there a big reason to go for the A3 vs N3 controller? Also, DJI sells the LB2 unit with a controller and I have plenty of the standard DJI controllers. Is there a way to get the LB2 without the expense of yet about RC in my purchase?

Can be done very easily now with the below and I know one unit flying an X5R with good results.

DJI A3 or N3 Flight Controller
DJI Lightbridge 2
X Series Adapter
Then you can use X3/X5/X5R or XT Camera.

You can also add DJI Rtk or turn the Controllers into the Pro with multiple IMU’s and GPS units for the A3 and N3.
Mad, I'm intrigued by this idea. I've looked over the prices to purchase the parts and there is a huge disparity between the costs of the N3 vs A3 controller. I have no experience with the N3. Do you have any insights?

Thanks Again!

First, thanks so much for sharing this information. When I look at the parts I see the N3 costs less than a third of the A3 controller. Is the N3 an option and aside from redundancies, is there a big reason to go for the A3 vs N3 controller? Also, DJI sells the LB2 unit with a controller and I have plenty of the standard DJI controllers. Is there a way to get the LB2 without the expense of yet about RC in my purchase?

Sadly the LB2 remote is not the same as any of the other DJI ones, while physically it looks the same it’s a different protocol to all of the other systems and as such they are not compatible.

As for the N3 Vs as A3 it’s comes down to many aspects, the A3 is professional level controller so the sensors and everything should be of a higher quality but tbh an N3 with 1 A3 Pro kit added should be a really solid setup. .

Sadly the LB2 remote is not the same as any of the other DJI ones, while physically it looks the same it’s a different protocol to all of the other systems and as such they are not compatible.

As for the N3 Vs as A3 it’s comes down to many aspects, the A3 is professional level controller so the sensors and everything should be of a higher quality but tbh an N3 with 1 A3 Pro kit added should be a really solid setup. .
Thanks! I had hoped that the LB2 would work with a stock DJI controller since I have about 5 of them laying around... Maybe I can find a buyer for the Zenmuse gimbal and the 2 Futabas that it currently uses not to mention the Cannon 5Dm3 and it will take some of the sting out of it. I'm a little confused on the N3; will it work with the LB2? I think I can stomach a couple of grand to get this back into regular use and by my calculation the LB2 w/RC + N3 + X series mounting plate and gear would come in just above that. I've got plenty of cameras I can mount so, no need for another of those... yet.

Thanks! I had hoped that the LB2 would work with a stock DJI controller since I have about 5 of them laying around... Maybe I can find a buyer for the Zenmuse gimbal and the 2 Futabas that it currently uses not to mention the Cannon 5Dm3 and it will take some of the sting out of it. I'm a little confused on the N3; will it work with the LB2? I think I can stomach a couple of grand to get this back into regular use and by my calculation the LB2 w/RC + N3 + X series mounting plate and gear would come in just above that. I've got plenty of cameras I can mount so, no need for another of those... yet.

Lightbridge 2 works with A2 and Wookong-M as well.

That is correct.
Thanks! Well, I went ahead and ordered a LB2+RC unit and the X-series adapter. The LB2 looks to be a 15-30 day wait but, the X-series adapter plate will ship Monday. Guess I'll spend some time pulling the big Zenmuse off the airframe this afternoon since it's so cold outside. This would be lots of fun with 45 minute capacity from a single battery and I have 3 huge batteries for the S1000 that would provide close to 3.5 hours of flight time!

Reactions: cheebs
Thanks! Well, I went ahead and ordered a LB2+RC unit and the X-series adapter. The LB2 looks to be a 15-30 day wait but, the X-series adapter plate will ship Monday. Guess I'll spend some time pulling the big Zenmuse off the airframe this afternoon since it's so cold outside. This would be lots of fun with 45 minute capacity from a single battery and I have 3 huge batteries for the S1000 that would provide close to 3.5 hours of flight time!
This is fun stuff! We definitely enjoyed the build of ours. If you want a LB2 Air and Ground Combo I am pretty sure we can send you one on Monday - you would probably get it Wednesday instead of waiting 2-4 weeks. Just let us know...otherwise give us a shout if you need a hand with anything as you put it all together.

This is fun stuff! We definitely enjoyed the build of ours. If you want a LB2 Air and Ground Combo I am pretty sure we can send you one on Monday - you would probably get it Wednesday instead of waiting 2-4 weeks. Just let us know...otherwise give us a shout if you need a hand with anything as you put it all together.
Thanks so much FDS! So, the A2 will work with the LB2 combo? If so, please send me a PM letting me know your price on the LB2/RC combo.

Also, if you have the X-series mounting plate kit I would just as soon purchase all from you.

Thanks so much FDS! So, the A2 will work with the LB2 combo? If so, please send me a PM letting me know your price on the LB2/RC combo.
I am out of the office right now but am nearly 100% certain we could ship both to you on Monday. I can confirm that (and price) as soon as I am back.

I’m almost 99.9% sure you can not use the X series camera with the A2, it’s A3 and N3 only as far as I am aware.

You also do not have access to the flight controller data/settings on A2 though the Go app either.

Last edited:
I’m almost 99.9% sure you can not use the X series camera with the A2, it’s A3 and N3 only as far as I am aware.

You also do not have access to the flight controller data/settings on A2 though the Go app either.
Thanks Mad_angler1. I certainly don't know for sure but, the folks at FDS are trying to help and I'm going to pose that question to them before I pull the trigger. If the A3 is necessary and in looking at youtube, what little I've seen so far, the builders all did use an A3. If that's the case then I will have to replace my existing A2 to the tune of about $1K USD. Certainly not my wish but, if I have to I will. Right now I have an airframe that I spent about $8K on and it sits in my shop. Thanks again for your help in this. I've spent most of this day learning and asking questions. One of the reasons I come to only this forum is because of the exceptional willingness of members to help one another out.

I am out of the office right now but am nearly 100% certain we could ship both to you on Monday. I can confirm that (and price) as soon as I am back.
Looking forward to that information. Also, can you address whether or not the A3 is necessary for the LB2 or if the A2 already installed would work? Thanks again!

After even more research I think I've figured out why the A2 won't work and the A3 is required. The A2 has 4 channels while the A3 has 8. I can't tell if the N3 would work, yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drbhutaniclinic