Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Determining Airspace by Address

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a resource that can tell you the airspace based on US address? The b4UFly app does not work for Part 107 pilots. It seems to be targeted at hobbyists. I tried AirMap, but it does not include accurate up to date Class E surface area information needed for UAS pilots restricted by Part 107. Is there a way to superimpose satellite imagery on sectionals at SkyVector? Any other resources out there I'm missing?

There are lots of areas I need to operate near these Class E extensions to Class D and I would rather not ask for authorization or waiver if not necessary. I noticed today the DJI GO app mistakenly said I was in a Class E area, which I know to be false. When near the edge I just want to be sure.

I think the best thing you can do for now is use Google Earth to determine the GPS coordinates of where you want to fly...then, use the SkyVector center GPS pip and put that on your intended flight location.

I'd be interested if anyone has another suggestion, though!

Last edited:
Foreflight will do exactly what you are asking for, it is a paid subscription and is very powerful. It has the charts like Skyvector and lets you overlay street, satellite and several other maps. Weather, lightning, tfr's, signets, it is all there.

I never noticed that pip. Great solution! I was able to draw the class e borders in Google Earth using the coordinates of the corners. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Sweet! Thanks!

I confirmed DGI GO is off by at least 500 feet on the KAPF Class E extension boundary near Golden Gate.

Yes, DJI Go, B4Ufly and AirMap etc are all useless and should not be relied upon for proper mission planning if you are operating commercially.
They are simply not accurate enough and are riddled with incorrect information.

Reactions: Jason1234
Yes, DJI Go, B4Ufly and AirMap etc are all useless and should not be relied upon for proper mission planning if you are operating commercially.
They are simply not accurate enough and are riddled with incorrect information.

Agree. If we are going to go on about being "FAA certified remote pilots" then we should act as professionals and learn to use aeronautical charts rather than silly apps. Sky vector is updated and free. This is a general comment Jason, not addressed at you.

Agree. If we are going to go on about being "FAA certified remote pilots" then we should act as professionals and learn to use aeronautical charts rather than silly apps. Sky vector is updated and free. This is a general comment Jason, not addressed at you.
I totally agree, but aeronautical charts as they exist today do not provide the granularity needed to determine with precision whether you are within controlled airspace, and with UAS feet and inches can make a real difference. What should really be published is the center point and radius of every controlled airspace and the corners of rectangular and odd shaped areas.

If you so close to controlled airspace that "inches" concern you then err on the side of safety and assume you are in controlled airspace and follow procedures, like any professional pilot would.
I was being facetious about inches, but if I'm called out on a moment's notice for an urgent job at a property that is near The boundary, time becomes an issue. The technology is there to solve the problem. That's all I am saying. Aeronautical charts for an aircraft are not the ideal tool for a remotely controlled aircraft with an operator on terra firma. I recognize the charts are the official source, so until something more modern and suitable comes along, of course conservatism is the best course of action.

Second the motion for Chart Bundle!

As another example, for a map like below (I used the NYC area), download Google Earth, first -- then go to Google Earth 3D Airspace. Download the ".kmz" file for the US, and then drag and drop it on to Google Earth app (while it's open). Just bear in mind that I'm certain this KMZ is not kept up-to-date, and you should always use the actual VFR Sectional Charts to make any decisions. It does not have current NOTAMs nor TFRs (I use Skyvector.com and DUATS for an up-to-date review).

Below, I've removed all Class Bravo and Charlie layers that are above 400 ft AGL, to give you an idea of the airspace. Basically, anything in the shaded volume you need ATC clearance and/or a waiver.
Once you learn how to read a sectional chart the volume of the symbols and lines on it will appear in your mind's eye. I used this to bone up on my understanding of airspace classification before my Part 107 exam.

You can also click to remove and re-insitute the TAC or VFR chart layer to see the actual terrain and zoom in on your proposed flight location. I'm waiting for someone to provide up-to-date subscriptions for this kind of 3D data, though. (All someone needs to do is ping DUATS every hour with a bot, and use a little Python code to generate the volumetric data.... any takers?) Also the outlines in Chart Bundle can be layered on as well. Pretty nifty.

upload_2016-9-4_16-18-36-png.9772

Reactions: unmannedsky
^ this would make a killing. I wish that info was in the B4UFLY app. It would actually be useful then.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeatriceFo