Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI drone near LAX?

It’s somethin. Drone? Probably not. That jet is still 4000+ feet in the air and that object is about a mile away from them. Wonder if it crossed that guys mind that it may be another airplane. Lol

The guy is a 'photographer' but looking at the quality of the photograph appears to have taken the picture on a potato :confused:

Reactions: Scoobywrx05
if that was a drone it would have to be a half mile or less away to be able to tell it was a drone. At 180 to 200 mph, at half a mile away, it would zoom past so fast you wouldn't have seen it let alone get a picture of it, unless the other object was going 100mph in the same direction, which would also rule out a DJI drone.

This is why all news has zero credibility anymore.

And of course reading the article again reveals more inaccuracies.

“[Q]uick flight from SFO to LAX on an Embraer 175,” Pollock tells PetaPixel. “[W]e were on final approach and, being the typical ‘looker out the window’, I saw flashing lights of what I first thought was a plane. They were ahead of us and just off to the left hand side, headed our way – but not fast.

Final approach? WRONG!!! Flaps haven't been deployed. So NOT final approach and must be at 220 mph. So it would've been heading there way in a hurry!

It took a few seconds to realize the thing wasn’t a plane and that it was just hovering. Then the little flashing lights dawned on me — it was a DJI Phantom of some sort. "

It would've been long gone at 220 mph in 'a few seconds' especially when hovering..

if that was a drone it would have to be a half mile or less away to be able to tell it was a drone. At 180 to 200 mph, at half a mile away, it would zoom past so fast you wouldn't have seen it let alone get a picture of it, unless the other object was going 100mph in the same direction, which would also rule out a DJI drone.

This is why all news has zero credibility anymore.
The guy in interview said it was hovering and it took a him a couple seconds to realize it was a drone. Lol. Stupid

As a private pilot as well as having a 107 certificate, I can tell you without question that trying to find traffic below you that’s mixed in with ground clutter even after having its direction and altitude provided by ATC, can be very difficult. A drone would be quite a find. Given there are a few smaller airports along the left side of the standard instrument approach for LAX, and the photo looks more like a white blob with the photographers own description of a flashing light, which could be that of the rotating beacon of Chino or Riverside airports. A lot of haze, with low light makes my possible explanation questionable as I can’t make out an airport near the light source. Another possibility is the rotating beacon and/or strobe of another aircraft. If it was flying a perpendicular path, it might appear to be stationary to this guy.
Also, the description of “some sort of a Phantom” suggests he is only aware of that model, since the basic design hasn’t changed since inception, and he’s just trying to make himself more believable with a positive ID. Would have been more believable if he didn’t try to lay it on that thick. 99.9% this is a misidentified object with a side dish of overactive imagination, or malicious political agenda.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
channelSale