Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Flying in Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pandemonic1, Sep 2, 2016.

1. pandemonic1

Hello everyone!

I am planning to take my IP1 X5 from Europe with me to Los Angeles next week, and I was just wondering it it's possible to get some aerial shots of Downtown LA legally without worrying about authorities? I was thinking about taking off in places like Vista Hermosa Park or McArthur Park. Is it possible, or banned? I just don't seem to find many videos from Downtown LA, so I figured it might be forbidden. Of course I am responsible pilot, and I know how to prepare safe flight. Actually, it would be good to know how it is in Los Angeles in general. Should I be worried about police? To be honest, I have no idea how it is in USA right now. I would appreciate any input on this one from local flyers!

2. brad90631

In LA City you are unable to take off or land from any public property.

3. pandemonic1

That's really crazy... So how are the people flying inside of LA City?

4. Dave Armbrust

By taking off and landing from private property.

5. Jason1234

Aside from local rules about takeoff and landing sites, you must register your UAS. Visiting foreign nationals must register their UAS upon arrival in the United States on the FAA website. You cannot fly for commercial purposes of any kind unless you hold a Part 107 remote pilot certificate.

If you are planning to fly for recreational purposes, start here:

Fly for Fun

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6. White Airwolf

Police anywhere really have no jurisdiction over how or if you fly your drone. They are not the governing body. The only time they can stop you is if you are seen flying recklessly.
    Just get the proper FCC 107 or SFOC (Canada) first before you leave home.

7. Jason1234

They may have no jurisdiction on flying, but they most certainly have jurisdiction on takeoff and landing sites, and they can enforce other laws like trespass, privacy and harassment laws.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk