Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Focus Wheel 2 mount

Reaction score
Website
goaerial.media
My focus wheel 2 and the FW2 mount arrived yesterday from Advexure. The FW2 and the mount seem to have about 1/8 of an inch of play when is it tightened all the way down. On the mount where the tightening knob screws into, it seems to be too long and the anti slip plates will not engage. There is a larger anti slip in the box for the mount, but that seems to be for the older focus wheel. The solution might be to file the tightening mount for the tightening screen down so that it is below the slip plate on the mount.

Now we know where the engineer that designed the original red props ended up at.

I think that issue is because there are two different arms and two different wheels and mixing doesn't work easily. One arm has the cable within it, and the other has no cable. The wheel has pins to contact the one with the cable within it and the other doesn't and the bodies are different. If your seller doesn't supply the "matched pair," this becomes an issue.

There's also some cable with the unpinned wheel that won't fit into the RC unit too which takes another special cable. Really is a Hodge-podge of parts and the need to get the correct DJI part numbers to do it right. DJI probably should have boxed the wheel with the correct arm/cable and made the arms a separate matter for a second control RC.

I think one supplier here mentioned 4 wheels now for i1 and i2 and who knows how many arms and cables. Confusing, so be aware.

I think that issue is because there are two different arms and two different wheels and mixing doesn't work easily. One arm has the cable within it, and the other has no cable. The wheel has pins to contact the one with the cable within it and the other doesn't and the bodies are different. If your seller doesn't supply the "matched pair," this becomes an issue.

There's also some cable with the unpinned wheel that won't fit into the RC unit too which takes another special cable. Really is a Hodge-podge of parts and the need to get the correct DJI part numbers to do it right. DJI probably should have boxed the wheel with the correct arm/cable and made the arms a separate matter for a second control RC.

I think one supplier here mentioned 4 wheels now for i1 and i2 and who knows how many arms and cables. Confusing, so be aware.
I did get the FW2 mount with the cable and the Focus Wheel 2. Filing down looks like a simple fix.

I did get the FW2 mount with the cable and the Focus Wheel 2. Filing down looks like a simple fix.

Option may be to put a washer under the tightening knob's wheel too if you don't want to file or grind on the threads.

We had exactly the same problem, narrowed the issue down to the same place, but we didn't want to try to modify a brand new product that should have fit correctly out of the box so we sent it back for a replacement...hopefully they don't *all* have this problem...does anyone else here have the "Handwheel 2"? Do you have this problem?

Reactions: Fly Gary
We had exactly the same problem, narrowed the issue down to the same place, but we didn't want to try to modify a brand new product that should have fit correctly out of the box so we sent it back for a replacement...hopefully they don't *all* have this problem...does anyone else here have the "Handwheel 2"? Do you have this problem?
This doesn't sound good for their QA and the batch of new releases. I posted this also on the I2 FB group to see if any of the other early purchasers have the same issue.

Reactions: Shawn Esplin
Here are a couple possible solutions and what I did... Remove the step down insert from the center of the rosette on the focus wheel with large flathead screwdriver, followed by removing the rosette (4 screws). I initially tried to simply reinstall the step-down insert from the back side of the rosette and reinstall. This gave satisfactory results with locking the rosettes together to prevent any movement but I felt that the contact with the spring pins could still be too light. I removed it again and ground down the face of the step-down insert leaving just enough face to still allow tightening with a screwdriver and still inserted it from the back side of the rosette and reinstalled. Solved the problem, only modified a $2 generic insert which can be had at any camera shop. Also by mounting it through the backside of the rosette, this will eliminate the possibility of unscrewing the step-down when removing the focus wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_9181.JPG
    IMG_9181.JPG
    906 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9180.JPG
    IMG_9180.JPG
    846.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9179.JPG
    IMG_9179.JPG
    833 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9178.JPG
    IMG_9178.JPG