Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Getting DJI no fly zones unlocked

Reaction score
Hey chaps

How easy it the process to get areas unlocked with DJI?
I have a job to do quite near and airport and when at site today just powered up Inspire Pro and she was grounded. However I managed to get the mavic up by selecting ignore when prompted where the Inspire did not give me the option.
It is literally right on the edge of the DJI no fly zone on the App.
Not under flight path though.
For the actual job I shall be contacting ATC to get a NOTAM set up of necessary.
Just needed to get a quick shot of site to make sure I'm able to edit out a large tree that shall cause a problem to post production results.
Bit naughty, but I was happy that flight was safe and did a RA before hand and my pre flight checks and had permission from the council where who owns the site.

But back to original question. I see there is a section on the DJI App to unlock areas but wondered how people have got on with doing it and how long it takes as want to use my Inspire Pro for the Job not the Mavic .
Thanks.
Dave

Hi again Dave,

Go to the Dji geosystem map page on their website - DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

This explains the various levels of unlocking but it sounds like it could be a restricted (red) zone in which case you'll need to email [email protected] explaining what you want to do, they will then ask for:

Your DJI account email
Aircraft type and SN
Remote controller SN
Location of flight and GPS co-ordinates
Unlocking radius required
Date(s) and times for unlocking
A copy of your passport as ID
A copy of your PFCO
A copy of your client request for services (Purchase Order) at the location and on the date(s0 specified
You will also have to sign and return a disclaimer.

They will then come back to confirm that an unlock code has been issued and you then need to boot up a/c and rc with an internet connection and download the unlock licence via the geosystem area of GO. I believe this can be done on-site if you're confident of having a mobile internet connection but if you don't have a cellular ipad then do the download at home beforehand.

I went through this in June but ended up not flying due to poor weather so I can't say weather it did or didn't unlock when on-site, but the unlock licence downloaded okay.

I should allow at least seven working days for this process and more if there is a Chinese public holiday involved.

Hope this helps,

Simon

Reactions: MrTVR
Hi again Dave,

Go to the Dji geosystem map page on their website - DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

This explains the various levels of unlocking but it sounds like it could be a restricted (red) zone in which case you'll need to email [email protected] explaining what you want to do, they will then ask for:

Your DJI account email
Aircraft type and SN
Remote controller SN
A copy of your PFCO
A copy of your client request for services (Purchase Order) at the location and on the date(s0 specified

They will then come back to confirm that an unlock code has been issued and you then need to boot up a/c and rc with an internet connection and download the unlock licence via the geosystem area of GO. I believe this can be done on-site if you're confident of having a mobile internet connection but if you don't have a cellular ipad then do the download at home beforehand.

I went through this in June but ended up not flying due to poor weather so I can't say weather it did or didn't unlock when on-site, but the unlock licence downloaded okay.

I should allow at least seven working days for this process and more if there is a Chinese public holiday involved.

Hope this helps,

Simon

Hi Simon.
Many thanks for such a descriptive reply.
Very helpful.
When the time comes I shall do it. Funny that the Mavic managed to do it.. ?
Although I would rather do it the right a legal way and would go ahead as it's not worth the risk.
Thanks again.
Dave

Hi again Dave,

Your DJI account email
Aircraft type and SN
Remote controller SN
A copy of your PFCO

Hope this helps,

Simon
Thank you, Simon.

What is a PFCO?

Bob

Simon,

Sorry to bother but you are now my GOTO expert on this.

If I just want to fly in a Yellow or Enhanced Warning (Green) zone do I need to go through the above steps?

Do you have a link to a page where this is all explained so I don't have to bother you in the future?

Bob

Hi Simon.
Many thanks for such a descriptive reply.
Very helpful.
When the time comes I shall do it. Funny that the Mavic managed to do it.. ?
Although I would rather do it the right a legal way and would go ahead as it's not worth the risk.
Thanks again.
Dave
The No Fly Map asks for your drone model, so it is possible that a Mavic will have different zones than an Inspire. I don't see a difference on the current maps, however. More likely (just a guess here) you have recently updated the firmware on the Inspire, but not on the Mavic.

You go thru a lot of trouble to get your FAA 107 Lic... and you know you have to get permission (FAA PERMISSION) to fly in their Air space or near their air space.. So who the Hell does DJI think they are in deciding to allow you or not to fly in or near that Air space. FAA is all the permission you need.. I don't need DJI 's authority , and I do agree with lots on other forums that DJI need a class action suite on this matter.. They should just ask for your FAA reg.. and unlock your Bird PERIOD.......

Everyone should just calm down. The Green Warning Zones only generate a Warning, and can be dismissed. That's not much different than the warning a car GPS gives. The Green Enhanced Warning Zones and the Yellow Authorization zones can be dismissed almost as easily. If you have a cell service connection you can get the authorization on-site, or even while you are in the air. If you only have have a WiFi tablet, then you can do it during your pre-flight planning; that authorization is good for 3 days. What is left is the RED RESTRICTED ZONES. Even then, you can get an unlock code through email. I hear from others that it takes about 7-10 days to get that processed; I have had no reason to do that myself. I have experience trying to get a Part 107 waiver, and that takes a minimum of 30 days, with no assurance that you will in fact get the waiver.

The process for a RESTRICTED ZONE is no different than a fence. If I want to go in that area I need authorization and a good reason to have the gate unlocked.

There is a reasonable explanation why DJI is doing this; in fact I view it as a service to users. Although I believe reports that drones are not following airspace rules to be bogus or at least overblown, the FAA is getting 100 reports a month of drones violating airspace rules. Check it out at UAS Sightings Report

It takes a lot of work to figure out which airports require what sort of clearance. Having a program that lets me know makes my life easier. If you want further explanation how the Zones work, take a look at my blog at No Fly Zones | RosePatents | Robert Rose Soon I will have a blog post up explaining how to get the authorization needed for each zone.

DJI and the FAA definitely could have explained this all much better, and on that score they deserve all the complaints that they are getting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu