Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Help my thermal stupidity?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have what I know is a rather silly question, but I feel I have done so much research now that my brain as just mixed it all up. So, I thought I would ask you all for a simple (ish) answer....:)

I am starting up a Agri survey company in the UK, but have a limited budget, we have an Inspire 1 and want to start doing IR crop surveying for small local farmer (not fixed-wing surveys, for those of you on the other side of the pond!). I know there are many products out there, but my confusion lies in thermal.... so the question is:

Can I do IR crop surveying with a thermal camera, does it record in IR?

I know about MapIR and SlantRange etc, but just trying to get the most bang for my buck and do the best job I can until i can afford to upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your help and input, just got a brain freeze and need to hear from a range of other people.

Cheers

Wingers

Hi guys,

I have what I know is a rather silly question, but I feel I have done so much research now that my brain as just mixed it all up. So, I thought I would ask you all for a simple (ish) answer....:)

I am starting up a Agri survey company in the UK, but have a limited budget, we have an Inspire 1 and want to start doing IR crop surveying for small local farmer (not fixed-wing surveys, for those of you on the other side of the pond!). I know there are many products out there, but my confusion lies in thermal.... so the question is:

Can I do IR crop surveying with a thermal camera, does it record in IR?

I know about MapIR and SlantRange etc, but just trying to get the most bang for my buck and do the best job I can until i can afford to upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your help and input, just got a brain freeze and need to hear from a range of other people.

Cheers

Wingers
To answer your question, yes. BUT! Is it the best bang for your buck? Probably not. What crop are you flying? What is the goal for the grower? Are you interested in just developing an NDVI for the grower? If so your best bet to start might be the modified X3 NDVI camera and using Drone Deploy. That will set you back $1300 vs $10,000 for a true thermal sensor like the XT. Ag is difficult and moving at breakneck pace. We are quickly learning the even our Ebees with Sequoias are yesterdays tech.

To answer your question, yes. BUT! Is it the best bang for your buck? Probably not. What crop are you flying? What is the goal for the grower? Are you interested in just developing an NDVI for the grower? If so your best bet to start might be the modified X3 NDVI camera and using Drone Deploy. That will set you back $1300 vs $10,000 for a true thermal sensor like the XT. Ag is difficult and moving at breakneck pace. We are quickly learning the even our Ebees with Sequoias are yesterdays tech.

Thanks Cptn,

We're looking at mainly surveying apple orchards and vineyards at the moment in the UK. So NDVI is our plan, if we can get away with a modified X3 that will give us what we need then great. Once we start to move forward we can invest more. interesting about Ebees and Sequoias!
What are you using at the moment? we have looked at SlantRange but that is expensive licencing for the software!
Ross

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stonecentreaus