Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Horrifying crash into crowd

I’ve been hit harder with bees when riding the motorcycle. This isn’t horrific in any way. Now if it came down and blew up into a big ball of flames and killed a half a dozen people that may be horrific. If you think this is horrific you need to go back to living in your bubble.

the people hit with the spinning blades might disagree ;)

"Scratches and bruises" according to the article. I'm not trying to belittle the incident, but I think use of the word "horrifying" is a bit over the top. I would accept "unfortunate."

Reactions: jlrsn
Im guessing this incident occurred in South Korea so Horrifying means what it means to them.
We play tougher over here in the States so...
Let it go:)

Keeping em honest:)

I actually think the issue with the crash was power driven, or better said lack of. Depending on how the candy distributor was powered or the level of the battery in the multirotor. I would point it to that. I have seen allot of drone crashes and with DJI flight controllers the power failure starts with a left dip. I actually tested this on my own a few years back. The dip to the left was always common, followed but the compensation of it leveling itself to the right (At this state with out solid data I think the the aircraft is dropping the power level to the motor on the right, this drop in power, the aircraft will look like its level for a short moment and then do a death drop to the right).

I tested this allot because back in the day I did not have a good knowledge of battery characteristic and the effects on my copters so I would hover about foot of a very soft grassy area and run them down to nothing to time out my flight duration and then figure out a good safe landing time with reserve. At the time I had no idea what that was dong to the battery itself, not good but It gave me a good education on these devices. Over the years when I watch video of power failures the ones that have a dip to the left are the ones where people run the battery down to state where it can no longer the power demand. This is probably the first crash in the crowd video that I know of (
)

Looking at the video, it was not to much after the candy started to dispense before the crash took place. I would start by looking at the power throughout the aircraft being the issue.

Second of all, using a hexa is one of the worst configuration to use when it comes to copter stability. I love the way a hexa flys and over and performs but as of using it with crowd or valuable equipment I would stare away from them. Mainly be cause of the number of motors and the support each give to the aircraft, poses a risky result. In a hex configuration when you lose a motor or ESC in a position in most cases the multirotor will continue to fly but from the torque difference spin, out of control, some flight controllers can handle the situation, however I have not heard of many success stories of this resulting in good ending.

When it comes to multirotors and failures, depending on the situation I favor two side on it; A quad or an octo, in each case there is something to consider, the first is, as a pilot we should always be thinking about flight path and if something happens what is the result that is going to take place. My thought these days may be different then others but if I am taking the proper flight path then I favor a quad because in most cases if something goes wrong then I know the aircraft is pretty much dropping from where it is.

Other then a quad anything with more motors will want to fly, especially in a motor /esc failure, in that case you are asking for a device to fly out of control and possible out of parameters of the flight path, that is where the danger lies.

If you like to protect your self from a failure both setups for an octo have a decent result

A X8 configuration is the safest as of controlling while a regular octo can also handle the torque differential in most cases. The difference between the two x8 and regular octo is efficiency, and a little better torque control. The x8 is less efficient but has torque control from posing redundancy for each motor position, they are also better in high winds, while and octo is more efficient with less torque control, however it works very well also, and when a motor goes out the drone will keep flying with control.

Just food for thought, going back to the video I think the hexa crash was power derived, and whomever was doing the gimmick was not well versed in the situation and the liability involved.

Reactions: slim.slamma
I love the way a hexa flys and over and performs but as of using it with crowd or valuable equipment I would stare away from them
Good stuff!

Personally I'm not sold on an esc failure unless 2 failed simultaneously.

My production crew actually made a $15K Inspire 2 with VR camera rig eat s*** and die (literally, more on that in a moment). Inspire 2 is a remarkably stable bird, but every drone and their ESC's have limits. Crew had tandem carbon fiber arms mounted on the legs, with PixPro's at the ends. The rig's COG was balanced. As we all should know, when a quad maneuvers forward quickly, it's pitch tips in the direction of flight. Well, add one frisky Brazillian pilot in a hurry, and the COG went sideways, and that was enough to make it do a complete full-power inversion Straight Down... into a cattle holding field. No steer were harmed, but the poor Inspire 2 was broke AF and literally covered in bulls***. Total writeoff. Lesson to be learned: Read and know the FAA PHAK on loading and center of gravity before you attempt stunts like this.

Center of Gravity played a big issue IMO

Reactions: William Gaddy
Payload maybe, I have loaded my spark with 100g and it flew, that's over 30% of its total weight.
Am I
And people still think it's OK and 'cool' to fly over people and busy freeways! :rolleyes:

So what's your view on air planes flying over us, an industry which kills hundreds every year?
Cars driving next to pavements which kill thousands every year.

Seems to me those much more dangerous things are normalised.
Someone gets a scratch and a bump on the head from drones and its the end of the world?

Kinda odd no?

Last edited:
Payload maybe, I have loaded my spark with 100g and it flew, that's over 30% of its total weight.
Am I

So what's your view on air planes flying over us, an industry which kills hundreds every year?
Cars driving next to pavements which kill thousands every year.

Seems to me those much more dangerous things are normalised.
Someone gets a scratch and a bump on the head from drones and its the end of the world?

Kinda odd no?

I've asked those questions dozens of times in dozens of forums and nobody seems to have a logical answer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stonecentreaus