Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

How long do you think these motors will last?

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Discussion' started by sdjackaerial, Mar 3, 2015.

1. sdjackaerial

I know the easy response is "depends on how much you fly". Ok.
    Say I fly no less than twice a week with three batteries worth of flying each time (approx 1 hr).
    Being new to RC aircraft, what am I looking for to see the motors change and give warning? I would hope I could hear a change in the motors before it falls from the sky from a motor failure. I'm assuming it can't fly with three..lol.

2. blade strike

These are brushless motors.. if taken care of they will outlast the craft.

RolandRSA and slim.slamma like this.
  3. sdjackaerial

ok, cool. Can you give any advice on taking care of them? (again--beginner here)

4. PetePerrim

In my experience with flying various types of quads and hex's, the motors will just keep on going as long as they don't get too much dust or grit in them. I've flown several hundred kilometres with my little Phantom and that baby just keeps on truckin. I check the motors relative temperatures against each other every now and again when I land and I also twirl the motors between my fingers to see if any of them feel markedly different to each other but 'touch wood' so far, so good. IMHO you're far more likely to have an ESC go postal on you without any warning than a motor.

5. InspiredOne

ESC stands for...? o_O

EDIT: Is there source where one can find all the abbreviations and their meanings for UAV flying?

6. Kilrah

Motor "electronic speed controller".

7. InspiredOne

I would have never guessed that one.

Thanks!

8. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

The motors will last forever (pretty much) - there are no moving parts in them.

The bearings wont! - On average, for this size motor (and rotational speed) bearings should be changed around every 80 hours or so - even if they are ceramic bearings.
    Bearings should be part of regular flight maintenance procedure

9. perryseyes

So out of curiosity what's the life span of the esc, how many hours approximately?

10. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

Assuming they don't fail - Indefinitely!
    The most likely thing to fail on an esc will be a FET (Field Effect Transistor) which does the heavy current switching as part of an array. These will either work.... or not, there's no middle ground. I'm afraid an esc failure means a sudden crash (not so with a hex as they can fly on five motors). Most electronic components will follow a 'bath-tub' curve failure rate which means they will either fail fairly early on in their life cycle or they will go on to be reliable.
    Certain things WILL however put them under stress and potentially contribute to a failure - fouling the props on trees, bushes etc with the motors still powered will place stress on the esc's by asking them to pass more current than they should.

11. jon b

Good thread. No dumb questions when it comes to understanding your aircraft and how to use/maintain it. Thanks!

sdjackaerial and GizaDog like this.
  12. Kilrah

The downside of electronics vs mechanics is that this cannot typically be determined.
    On something mechanical you can do preventive maintenance (cleaning, greasing, visual inspection / measurement and replace worn out or out of tolerance parts).
    None of that applies to electronics, except from a serious design error or component misuse all you can do is assume it will work indefinitely... Until it fails.
    Determining a reliable life span would be horribly difficult.

13. Rig

Rig

Can we change out our bearings without voiding any warranties or is this a send to DJI procedure?

14. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

On ALL the motors I have used thus far, bearing changes have been a very simple job. Since DJI are using the 3510/KV350 E800 motors in the Inspire there should be no good reason why bearings are not a user replaceable part - unless DJI come out with some mumbo jumbo about how it must be done by an authorised service centre, blah, blah etc..... To make money.

15. slim.slamma

Have you changed yours or is it "mumbo jumbo"?
    Reached 80 hrs?

16. unyks

That's why DJI is suggesting maintenance after 50 hours of flighttime but i don't know if changing the bearings is part of that...

Chris

17. fei8820

logically if both esc n motor no crash and nothing happen it possible live longer than human... as well all the electronic component inside... my own delta wing n mustang p51 brushless motor n esc still going strong... erm 7years already ? i have no idea how many flightime it seems it work forever if you setup correctly ~~~ and make sure there is no tiny debris rock or sand inside your motor.... and make sure it always rotate freely ... no binding ...

slim.slamma likes this.
  18. slim.slamma

10;4