Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I2 on offshore rigs

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has done offshore rigs flying ? I'm used to do it with my P4P, but my client is asking for higher quality footage, so I'll have to take the I2 out to sea. I've done litterally hundreds of hours of P4P chasing our LNG tankers on open seas (nerve-wracking at first, because the ships does 17kt and will not slow down for yo ***) but tons of fun with some heart-wrenching moments (P4P will usually go crazy at one point or another during the flight from this humongous metal mass out on the water) but I was able to bring home everytime.
However, I'm quite aware of the compass error thing with the I2, so I know I'll have to take off from a boat. Have you guys noticed any strange behavior around large metal masses with the I2 ?

I have been curious about the handle grips ... might that help with compass calibration and hand takeoff/landing?

It does help to catch it back in sure. For compass calibration not so much. I've done hundreds of take offs and landings from boats, wether with the P4 or the I2 and it's important to have a trained person handling the drone while taking off and also a good view of the wind direction in order to avoid a new haircut...

Hand grips help but with or without grips it is best to have a second person doing the catch. I know this not always possible but is the best method. I nearly cut my thumb off once :)

Jesus-Maria ... How many times it's been discussed and concluded to death by legions of DJI drone warriors before: DO NOT CALIBRATE THE COMPASS IN A PRESENCE OF MAGNETIC INTERFERENCES!!!!!!!
Calibrate once in a good place and leave the calibration alone! Once airborne and several meters away from steel structure, the compass warning must go away ...

Filming a marine installations or huge vessels from above means flying in heavily radio polluted environment. Radar (not the steel structure) is the main reason for messing with drone positioning system. Launching from a wooden/plastic table should eliminate magnetic interference well enough, hand catching by a second person usually helps. Perform quick and persistent take off, be prepared for sudden switch to ATTI at any moment during flight ...

Jesus-Maria ... How many times it's been discussed and concluded to death by legions of DJI drone warriors before: DO NOT CALIBRATE THE COMPASS IN A PRESENCE OF MAGNETIC INTERFERENCES!!!!!!!
Calibrate once in a good place and leave the calibration alone! Once airborne and several meters away from steel structure, the compass warning must go away ...

Filming a marine installations or huge vessels from above means flying in heavily radio polluted environment. Radar (not the steel structure) is the main reason for messing with drone positioning system. Launching from a wooden/plastic table should eliminate magnetic interference well enough, hand catching by a second person usually helps. Perform quick and persistent take off, be prepared for sudden switch to ATTI at any moment during flight ...
Welcome to my world! ??

It's not a question of calibrating compass in presence of magnetic interferences as they are absolutely everywhere, rather being able to take off from a metallic structure with an I2. It's possible with a P4P though but I understand that the I2 won't allow take off.

It's not a question of calibrating compass in presence of magnetic interferences as they are absolutely everywhere, rather being able to take off from a metallic structure with an I2. It's possible with a P4P though but I understand that the I2 won't allow take off.
Exactly! I2 will not start the motors while Compass Error message is present. There is no way out of it, calibrating compass is the only option, whether you like it or not. Callibrating on the oil rig might proof to be a challenge indeed.

Exactly! I2 will not start the motors while Compass Error message is present. There is no way out of it, calibrating compass is the only option, whether you like it or not. Callibrating on the oil rig might proof to be a challenge indeed.
No, Marian, no and no again! Compass calibrating in a suspected presence of magnetic/radio interference is a suicidal decision. Calibrating WITHOUT a suspected magnetic interference is another story, as many of us is facing this dreaded requirement so often with various DJI drones (not me). But if I will see this message on an oil rig, I will either: 1. Try to launch a back up drone, 2. Take the risk and proceed WITHOUT compass calibration, 3. Abort the mission ...

Reactions: Donnie Frank
No, Marian, no and no again! Compass calibrating in a suspected presence of magnetic/radio interference is a suicidal decision. Calibrating WITHOUT a suspected magnetic interference is another story, as many of us is facing this dreaded requirement so often with various DJI drones (not me). But if I will see this message on an oil rig, I will either: 1. Try to launch a back up drone, 2. Take the risk and proceed WITHOUT compass calibration, 3. Abort the mission ...
You are not listening. I did not suggest to calibrate the compass on the rig. But launching while Compass Error message is present is not possible! You can NOT take your option 2, proceed and take a risk etc. The drone won't let you take-off!! So the only option is to find a spot on the rig where the error will go away, calibrate or abort the mission. If there is a strong magnetic interference present, the calibration will not be possible anyway and as such you won't be able to take off.

The purpose of compass calibration is to take a drone's own magnetic interference into account. Do it once on a farm field and forget it until the app is clearly demanding re-calibration! Some systems will require calibration frequently, some will not. No way to predict that. But - assuming properly calibrated compass - no drone will take off from a rebar reinforced driveway, period. It's a well known fact. Lift her off the ground a meter or two, however, and off she goes ...

The purpose of compass calibration is to take a drone's own magnetic interference into account. Do it once on a farm field and forget it until the app is clearly demanding re-calibration! Some systems will require calibration frequently, some will not. No way to predict that. But - assuming properly calibrated compass - no drone will take off from a rebar reinforced driveway, period. It's a well known fact. Lift her off the ground a meter or two, however, and off she goes ...
Unfortunatelly that is not the case to those of us who are bombarded with the frequent Compass Error message. Moving the drone to another location won't help !! I get this dreaded message anywhere and anytime. The only way out of it is to calibrate. Fortunately for me I can do it safely as there is no magnetic interference where I fly. I just calibrate and proceed with mission. The compass holds for a while and then the message pops up again, so I calibrate again. No other option, I am affraid...One of the quirks of my I2 I've learned to accept and live with...

You are not listening. I did not suggest to calibrate the compass on the rig. But launching while Compass Error message is present is not possible! You can NOT take your option 2, proceed and take a risk etc. The drone won't let you take-off!! So the only option is to find a spot on the rig where the error will go away, calibrate or abort the mission. If there is a strong magnetic interference present, the calibration will not be possible anyway and as such you won't be able to take off.
I stand corrected ... Do I? No, because further down your reply you suggest the option of compass calibration anyway, and this is a big NO ... So, the only option for a stubbornly grounded Inspire 2 on the oil rig is to abort :( ...

I stand corrected ... Do I? No, because further down your reply you suggest the option of compass calibration anyway, and this is a big NO ... So, the only option for a stubbornly grounded Inspire 2 on the oil rig is to abort :( ...
I said that compass calibration on the rig might be a challenge indeed.
I think we are dealing here with two scenarios and hence the misunderstanding.
Scenario one
Compass error given because a genuine interference detected. Solution, move the drone to area without the interference and take off from there.
Scenario two
Compass error given for a no particular reason due to a FW glitch or a quirk or whatever. In this case no moving drone to another location will help. The only option is to perform the compass calibration. Doing it on the rig might prove to be a challenge. But if completed somewhere succesfully the drone should take off from that spot just fine.

two.options

Last edited:
If you do or will do this regularly I’d go with a solution like no limit drones. Eliminate the nagware so you can do real work without these insane variables DJI foists on us. Especially off shore- it’s the perfect environment.

If you do or will do this regularly I’d go with a solution like no limit drones. Eliminate the nagware so you can do real work without these insane variables DJI foists on us. Especially off shore- it’s the perfect environment.
Unfortunately you have not the slightest idea what we are talking about ...

Unfortunately you have not the slightest idea what we are talking about ...
You’re pretty arrogant and not at all helpful.
With NLD and changing the hidden parameters in assistant 2 you can alter the thresholds or disable any warnings including the compass.

I'm wondering if anyone has done offshore rigs flying ? I'm used to do it with my P4P, but my client is asking for higher quality footage, so I'll have to take the I2 out to sea. I've done litterally hundreds of hours of P4P chasing our LNG tankers on open seas (nerve-wracking at first, because the ships does 17kt and will not slow down for yo ***) but tons of fun with some heart-wrenching moments (P4P will usually go crazy at one point or another during the flight from this humongous metal mass out on the water) but I was able to bring home everytime.
However, I'm quite aware of the compass error thing with the I2, so I know I'll have to take off from a boat. Have you guys noticed any strange behavior around large metal masses with the I2 ?
The P4P has the highest compressed bitrate of 100Mbps. The next step up is RAW. Your client wants RAW footage for an oil rig???? That seems like a huge overkill. All you will gain is greater color space and dynamic range. From a strictly "forensics" point of view, none of these carrots matter. What are they looking for? What do they think they will be gaining by shooting RAW?

Perhaps they want higher resolution? 4K not good enough?

D

Last edited:
You’re pretty arrogant and not at all helpful.
With NLD and changing the hidden parameters in assistant 2 you can alter the thresholds or disable any warnings including the compass.
Please can you explain to the less knowledgeable how to do this? I'd be interested, as my compass in I2 is giving me these frequent compass errors and requests for calibration, all of that for a no apparent reason

Please can you explain to the less knowledgeable how to do this? I'd be interested, as my compass in I2 is giving me these frequent compass errors and requests for calibration, all of that for a no apparent reason
Yesterday I had a very bad mood caused by awfully tasting coffee :) ... Anyway, instead of messing with FW (which may render a catastrophic outcome), why don't you try to replace a compass module? It may be as simple as that ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu