Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I2 v I1. Which one for Boats and coastal flying

Reaction score
Hello All - over the past two summers I’ve been flying Phantom 4 and P4Pros for pleasure and work filming boats on Lake Michigan (which, for those who aren’t familiar, is very much like an inland sea).
I would like to get away from the props in my video when I’m chasing the boats at high speed and would like to have a drone that can fly faster and handle heavier wind. The boss - my wife has now given the clearance to upgrade. At this time I would only be authorized for the x4s camera if going I2.
Any recommendations on which Inspire to go with?

I have had the I1 and moved up to the I2 with no regrets. The I2 will out fly the I1.
The X4S is essentially the same camera as the P4P but with 360 yaw.
Always room to upgrade. X5S cameras are going at reasonable rates used since some are moving up to the X7.
I have seen then go for $1400 with lens recently.

I have had the I1 and moved up to the I2 with no regrets. The I2 will out fly the I1.
The X4S is essentially the same camera as the P4P but with 360 yaw.
Always room to upgrade. X5S cameras are going at reasonable rates used since some are moving up to the X7.
I have seen then go for $1400 with lens recently.

Thank you for your thoughts. Any problems with the “Red Props”?

I moved on to the folding CF props that Florida Drone Supply sells.
T-Motor Folding Props - Winglet Style - Custom for Inspire 2
Never take them off, don't have to remember to lock them or figure which ones go where. 5% of the cost of my investment.
I look at it like this: My car came with cheap tires. Didn't make it a bad car, it just needed better tires.

its more like if a car maker couldn't get their rims to fit correctly on their car ;) it's annoying that DJI couldn't get the props and prop locks to a tight enough tolerance to prevent the rattle. same thing with the focus wheel...... I think every i2 owner was bit by the red prop rattle...

I agree that they did a poor job on the props and mounts. But, like most of their products, they were rushed to market. That is how DJI maintains being First in so many categories.
Every time I flew with the stock props I was worried that one would fly off or vibration would damage something. (Arm / tube joints)
That is all gone now and the peace of mind that has followed was worth every penny.
Now I have complete confidence in the AC.
I have forgiven DJI!

I agree that they did a poor job on the props and mounts. But, like most of their products, they were rushed to market. That is how DJI maintains being First in so many categories.
Every time I flew with the stock props I was worried that one would fly off or vibration would damage something. (Arm / tube joints)
That is all gone now and the peace of mind that has followed was worth every penny.
Now I have complete confidence in the AC.
I have forgiven DJI!

May I ask, what is the heaviest wind you have flown in? And how did it handle? Also, have you flown in any of the cold weather? How did the batteries take it?

30mph sustained wind with 45mph gusts. Handled it well.
In cold, the batteries are self heating and stay at 55-60 degrees Fahrenheit.

Reactions: KranMc
Flying in the cold is no issue. As mentioned above self heating batteries.

I’m in the mountains in Utah flying right now at about 16 degrees yesterday without issue.

Flying in the cold is no issue. As mentioned above self heating batteries.

I’m in the mountains in Utah flying right now at about 16 degrees yesterday without issue.

Awesome. I get alerts all the time that batteries are too cold on my P4P. Two years ago I had an auto land occur with a P3P in 40 degree weather. I’ve never trusted any of the batteries fully again.

How do you deal with snow and blowing snow where you are? Avoid it? Not worry too much?

Another key point is that the I2 has 2 cameras. One for Pilot (FPV) and one for Photographer. Pilot can see where it is going leaving camera operator to yaw anywhere he desires. While the FPV camera is of poorer quality (720P) is is only intended to show the pilot where he is headed.

How do you deal with snow and blowing snow where you are? Avoid it? Not worry too much?

I have never flown while snowing. I know some people will, but I have no desire with an Inspire.

Blowing snow isn’t a big issue, it’s typically pretty low to the ground or off of peaks/ridges. The peaks/ridges I treat like a snow storm and don’t fly in them. Ground snow I take off behind a wind break.

May I ask, what is the heaviest wind you have flown in? And how did it handle? Also, have you flown in any of the cold weather? How did the batteries take it?

Hello,
I live in Sheboygan WI, and fly an I2. I was hired this last summer to video a sailing regatta off Sheboygan. My I2 flew flawlessly, in winds as high as 22 KTS...with consistent 24 min flight times with no issues...very impressive. I think just from a runtime stand point, and being 1 mile from shore, the I1 wouldn’t have cut it..just my two cents. And launching from a boat was out with 3-4 foot seas, which required me to launch from shore.

Reactions: Advexure and KranMc
Hey Guys. I was just about to chime in on this thread when I realized that everyone helping KranMC is an FDS client. That was a lot of fun for us to realize as we read through the posts...thanks to all the great members on this forum lending a hand to people whenever they can. Happy New Year everyone and if there is anything FDS can help add to this thread just let us know!

Hello,
I live in Sheboygan WI, and fly an I2. I was hired this last summer to video a sailing regatta off Sheboygan. My I2 flew flawlessly, in winds as high as 22 KTS...with consistent 24 min flight times with no issues...very impressive. I think just from a runtime stand point, and being 1 mile from shore, the I1 wouldn’t have cut it..just my two cents. And launching from a boat was out with 3-4 foot seas, which required me to launch from shore.

Holy smokes, 1 mile offshore? You felt comfortable enough to zoom that much $ out there? That is a great flying machine!!!! Love it.

Hello,

Were you flying the 5s camera or the 4s?

Hey Guys. I was just about to chime in on this thread when I realized that everyone helping KranMC is an FDS client. That was a lot of fun for us to realize as we read through the posts...thanks to all the great members on this forum lending a hand to people whenever they can. Happy New Year everyone and if there is anything FDS can help add to this thread just let us know!

FDS - you and the crew are great. Happy New Year to you, too! I know you guys sell various props for the I2, but can the original props be used without running into the red prop issue?

Having used both the I1 & I2 for offshore work, launching from the deck of a moving vessel I would strongly recommend the I2 for the following reasons:

1. Dual batteries, IMU & compass means the I2 is less likely to fall in the drink!

2. The I2 is more stable and responsive which makes it much easier to launch & recover from a moving platform.

3. Wind speeds are often much higher out at sea than on land so the higher speed capability of the I2 is helpful.

4. The I2 seems to have less compass issues around large steel objects which us useful if you’re launching from a steel vessel.

5. Personally I find the 10-15 minute flight time of the I1 frustrating in comparison with the 20+ minutes available on the I2

6. Self heating batteries, very useful when operating in the cold North Sea!

I could go on but you get the idea...

The only advantage offered by the I1 is that it’s cheaper to replace if you do drop it in the water. However, if you are a competent flyer that is very unlikely to happen and if it did your insurance should cover it.

Go for the X5S from the start if you can. It will provide much better images and the benefits of a decent selection of lenses.

Reactions: Advexure and KranMc
Hello,

woah 24 minutes, must be nice.. I typically get 18 minutes with my i2 / X5S, but I'm flying at about a mile above sea level :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondZogue