Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I2 X4S newbie - flying during windy days

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've a question concerning the behaviour of I2 while flying in windy days.
I noticed when I2 reaches about 50/60 meters high, the horizon of FPV camera is very inclined towards wind direction: is that normal?
Shouldn't I2 IMU compensate and try to keep the FPV camera as much as possible straight?

Calling back I2 closer to me, I could see that FPV is not mis-aligned and the whole aircraft is really inclined towards wind direction, and the inclination changes (disappear) when I turn in in front of wind direction.

Such aircraft inclination may be considered as normal behaviour facing at windy conditions?

Ciao
Paolo

In my experience, yes it's quite normal - the fpv camera compensates for some roll, but not all.

I think the idea with the FPV cam not showing a fully compensated view is to help give the pilot feedback on what the aircraft is actually doing - there's an artificial horizon shown in the fpv feed which shows the degree of roll/bank, but it is also helpful to see a degree of roll through the fpv feed - it helps indicate how hard the aircraft is working against the wind.

For example, I've used the fpv to monitor the aircraft bank/roll to help me turn the aircraft heading into the wind direction (i.e. where it's more or less level) so that the camera underneath then has a reasonably level and stable platform to work from when doing camera pans or straight down work over a ground point.

In my experience, yes it's quite normal - the fpv camera compensates for some roll, but not all.

I think the idea with the FPV cam not showing a fully compensated view is to help give the pilot feedback on what the aircraft is actually doing - there's an artificial horizon shown in the fpv feed which shows the degree of roll/bank, but it is also helpful to see a degree of roll through the fpv feed - it helps indicate how hard the aircraft is working against the wind.

For example, I've used the fpv to monitor the aircraft bank/roll to help me turn the aircraft heading into the wind direction (i.e. where it's more or less level) so that the camera underneath then has a reasonably level and stable platform to work from when doing camera pans or straight down work over a ground point.

Thank you!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalyst