Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 VPS vs Inspire 2 VPS

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm dreaming, or if it was a feature of an older firmware for the Inspire 1, But I can remember flying about 5 feet above the ground with my Inspire 1 heading up the street and as the street level would rise, the Inspire 1 would rise to keep its 5 foot distance above the ground (Using VPS).

With my Inspire 2, I noticed that if I try the same exact thing, the inspire will keep its same altitude and not rise up as the road level increased therefore triggering the obstical avoidance when the street level raised high enough.

Can someone chime in on this and let me know what they have experienced?

I think that the I1 had a GPS built into the RC and thus could follow the RC in altitude is it was changing. The I2 has no built in GPS but with the ad-on GPS it will do the same thing I found that out in recent flight testing.

I think that the I1 had a GPS built into the RC and thus could follow the RC in altitude is it was changing. The I2 has no built in GPS but with the ad-on GPS it will do the same thing I found that out in recent flight testing.
It didn't rely on the GPS in the RC as the RC was stationary at the time. I'm talking about starting at one end of the road, and flying uphill, the Inspire 1 would actually rise up to ensure it maintained the same height over the roadway. Of course this only worked if you were 6 to 10 feet high as the VPS needed to see the ground

The I1 VPS makes it follow the terrain (but only adjusts for a few feet). When I have VPS switched on, it clearly follows the slope of the lake bank when I fly to the water, over the beach at a few feet high. At least that is what it always did and why I normally have it switched off when flying low over the lake.
Unless DJI changed VPS behaviour which I never noticed.

Reactions: Alastair
The I1 VPS makes it follow the terrain (but only adjusts for a few feet). When I have VPS switched on, it clearly follows the slope of the lake bank when I fly to the water, over the beach at a few feet high. At least that is what it always did and why I normally have it switched off when flying low over the lake.
Unless DJI changed VPS behaviour which I never noticed.

This is exactly what I have noticed with the Inspire 1 as well. But with the Inspire 2 it does not do this... The inspire 2 will maintain its height no matter what. I liked that feature because I create car commercials for a local dealer, We use to follow the vehicle down a private road to film it driving. we were low enough that the Inspire 1 would climb / descend as needed to follow the roadway.

With the Inspire 2 I have to constantly adjust the height when the road elevation changes.

No it wasn't a dream. This happened to me with the I1. I was in the process of shooting a sign. On the approach to the sign there was a ditch. I was approximately four feet off the ground when I started the move toward the sign. As I flew over the ditch it suddenly dropped catching me completely by surprise. I instinctively pushed up on the left stick in reaction and discovered upon repositioning the craft that it was following the contour of the ditch. It actually worked to my advantage, as the finished shot turned out to be more dynamic with the AC automatically rising up, as I approached the sign.

No it wasn't a dream. This happened to me with the I1. I was in the process of shooting a sign. On the approach to the sign there was a ditch. I was approximately four feet off the ground when I started the move toward the sign. As I flew over the ditch it suddenly dropped catching me completely by surprise. I instinctively pushed up on the left stick in reaction and discovered upon repositioning the craft that it was following the contour of the ditch. It actually worked to my advantage, as the finished shot turned out to be more dynamic with the AC automatically rising up, as I approached the sign.

I think it was a great feature, I used to so often you wouldn't believe. Most people are talking about flying High and Far.. Sometimes those low shots close up to the subject (In a safe way of course) turns out amazing.

I don't think it would be too difficult for DJI to add that as a feature of the Inspire 2, and just put a software switch to turn it on / off.

Thanks for all your observations on this feature of the I1. I too hope it can be made available on the I2 someday.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen