Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 uncontrollable spin

Reached the same limit too, however i got the control back with ATTI.

M 04m 01s 189.6 ft 387 ft Mode Mode changed to Sport
N 04m 07s 253.9 ft 269 ft Warning Gimbal Yaw Reached End Point
O 04m 08s 254.6 ft 307 ft Warning Gimbal Roll Reached Movement Limit
P 04m 29s 249.3 ft 421 ft Warning Landing gear lowered.Obstacle Avoidance Disabled.
Q 04m 45s 248.7 ft 421 ft Mode Mode changed to Atti
R 04m 47s 249.0 ft 423 ft Warning Flight Mode Set to Atti:Set flight mode to GPS to ensure safety.
S 05m 14s 236.2 ft 123 ft Warning Warning:Abnormal compass function or GPS signal detected. Aircraft switched to ATTI mode.
T 05m 15s 236.2 ft 122 ft Mode Mode changed to Sport
U 05m 17s 236.5 ft 118 ft Warning Gimbal Yaw Reached End Point
V 05m 22s 226.7 ft 94 ft Warning Gimbal Yaw Reached End Point

btw, I dont have the the quick-spin enabled. Disabled it after the first time, so it's not that..

So It got stuck in a spin twice during the same flight?
RTh looks like the solution for now.
Did anyone have the tracking feature enabled or normal mode?
I too was in sport mode when it happened.

I also had uncontrollable spin but was flying in sport mode over the sea so had no chance to recover before it spun into the water. Recovered Inspire 2 and found it was missing the whole prop, motor and foot but don't know if that happened when it hit the water or if that came off during flight which caused the crash.
DJI haven't acknowledged that it's a manufacturer fault yet. It could be that the epoxy bonding let go off the carbon fibre frame, or the quick-spin during fast flight is too much for the a/c to handle?
I'm surprised and disappointed that DJI aren't more concerned that they might have a problem here

My I2 went into an uncommanded spin yesterday, fortunately, not at great height or distance, and in an open area. It h ad been flying for around 90mins prior to the spin without any problems.

Once I realised it wasn't just the camera spinning or spotlight pro having a fit, I was able to stop the spin by flicking the flight mode switch in to atti mode and back to p-gps. After that, there was no ability to yaw the aircraft unless the gimbal was put into free mode, or the flight mode set back to Atti.

I was able to fly the I2 back and land without further issue. Aircraft shutdown and reboot cleared the issue and it flew again for another 30 mins after without any further problems showing up. All sensors showed ok on the ground, the area was open fields with no metal to cause problems.

After looking at the flight logs last night, the I2 reported a compass error at the point it entered the spin, either the compass error caused the spin, or was caused by the spin... which I couldn't tell you. Quick spin was enabled, but wasn't activated in this case as the gimbal was in follow mode and was locked to the aircraft nose. Iirc, I'm pretty sure Spotlight Pro was in use and was set for composition mode but hadn't been triggered as the subject was just about to enter the tracking box. The I2 had just been repositioned with left/right roll to align it with the path of the object to be tracked, and from the video footage, it had been in a stable hover for a second or so before the spin occurred.

I have had compass errors thrown up in flight before, but they've not put the I2 into a spin, and have cleared when resetting the flight mode through atti and back to p-gps. In this case with the spin occurring, I didn't see the on-screen warning this time as my attention was on the video feed going nuts, and then on the aircraft to see what it was actually doing! I don't recal the compass as the aircraft never moves far enough e-w to need it, so a bad cal isn't the problem in this case!

Overall flight time on the aircraft is around 51hrs 20min, and 319 miles flown.

Healthydrones only shows the compass error message in the log, with everything else showing no problems.

Quick spin and crash for me today also. Later i'll grab the DAT files and post video. I was in a large arena and getting up to speed flying in atti mode. Did about 15 min of flight and as I was bringing it in to land - crazy spin - smash. I'll post logs and video soon. Quick spin was off.

My I2 went into an uncommanded spin yesterday, fortunately, not at great height or distance, and in an open area. It h ad been flying for around 90mins prior to the spin without any problems.

Once I realised it wasn't just the camera spinning or spotlight pro having a fit, I was able to stop the spin by flicking the flight mode switch in to atti mode and back to p-gps. After that, there was no ability to yaw the aircraft unless the gimbal was put into free mode, or the flight mode set back to Atti.

I was able to fly the I2 back and land without further issue. Aircraft shutdown and reboot cleared the issue and it flew again for another 30 mins after without any further problems showing up. All sensors showed ok on the ground, the area was open fields with no metal to cause problems.

After looking at the flight logs last night, the I2 reported a compass error at the point it entered the spin, either the compass error caused the spin, or was caused by the spin... which I couldn't tell you. Quick spin was enabled, but wasn't activated in this case as the gimbal was in follow mode and was locked to the aircraft nose. Iirc, I'm pretty sure Spotlight Pro was in use and was set for composition mode but hadn't been triggered as the subject was just about to enter the tracking box. The I2 had just been repositioned with left/right roll to align it with the path of the object to be tracked, and from the video footage, it had been in a stable hover for a second or so before the spin occurred.

I have had compass errors thrown up in flight before, but they've not put the I2 into a spin, and have cleared when resetting the flight mode through atti and back to p-gps. In this case with the spin occurring, I didn't see the on-screen warning this time as my attention was on the video feed going nuts, and then on the aircraft to see what it was actually doing! I don't recal the compass as the aircraft never moves far enough e-w to need it, so a bad cal isn't the problem in this case!

Overall flight time on the aircraft is around 51hrs 20min, and 319 miles flown.

Healthydrones only shows the compass error message in the log, with everything else showing no problems.

Can you post log files for this ?

One question I have is what firmware version did all of you having issues have on your I2 at the time of the failure? Could be a commonality between everyone. Could be the version of firmware.

Thanks for posting and for tips on how to recover.

Mine is latest version .0100 or whatever it is. As far as i can remember, I've had Compass errors show up on all versions of firmware, but this is the first time it's spun. On some occassions after it's chucked the compass error, it's then reported being in a no-fly-zone (nearest was 20 miles away!) and other silly stuff like that, other times it reports the compass error and is totally fine. No rhyme or reason to it for mine. on all occasions it's done it, the imu/compass readings were fine before take-off and after restarting. No metal nearby, no compass recal before the error either.

Happened to me today. Did a scouting mission to check out heights and stuff, no problem. Loaded a Litchi mission. Started mission and flew about 5 minutes into a 15 minute mission and the camera went nuts and the Inspire started spinning out of control. Terminated the mission and the Inspire stopped spinning. Returned home manually and landed safely. Restarted the Inspire with a fresh battery and ran the mission again. The mission completed without a problem. Two other flights after that and no problem. Logs show nothing at all. Video below. Inspire 2 Zenmuse X5S with the Olympus 45mm

I will try to get my video posted today. The difference between nuclearheli's spin and my was that my spin was at least 100 RPM - mad spinning. First time it started less than 3 feet off the ground in atti mode just after I triggered landing mode. The I2 touched down and shattered all the props as I tried to shutdown with both left stick down right/retrun to home button and both sticks down and in. (CSC) Just got new props today and will see if I destroy this thing for good ....

Last edited:
@NickU , @enprod , @nuclearheli The .DAT file for one of these flights could help determine the cause of these incidents. I don't own an I2 and can't provide detailed instructions about retrieving the .DAT. But, look here to see how it's done with the Mavic. Since the .DAT will be large it can't be attached to a post You'll need to Dropbox or GoogleDrive it and post a link.

Last edited:
Having searched through this forum. The case seems to started on early June. During that time the firmware version was .0330 which was released on April 12th, Dji Go 4 4.0.7. There was no report since until start of June. Probably the bug is in the app library because this affected Litchi too. Just my guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BetseyHene