Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 zoom camera

ARF

Reaction score
just had a response from DJI confirming that the z30 won't be able to be used. I know all the others cameras wouldn't work but hoped this might. The other point is that they were not aware of any other zoom cameras being prepared for inspire 2.

With the added stability, obstacle avoidance etc it's quite well placed for inspection work, it just needs a camera or lens with a good zoom.

Why not put the X5S camera on the Inspire 2? You can use either the Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm/3.5-5.6 HD, or the Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm/4.0-5.6

The range would be equivalent of 18-84mm on a 35mm camera depending on the lens on the X5S sensor.

I agree with ARF..........in addition to good zoom I'm hoping for Flir as well, but it remains to be seen what DJI will do with this one. DJI could very well stay the path of Photo/Video only on the I2 but I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Right out of "The Wirecutter"

For Pictures of People

Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.8

This 90mm-equivalent lens offers the perfect focal length for taking head-and-shoulder portraits. It’s sharp, fast to focus, and delivers beautiful results.

Last edited:
Hi All,
Can anyone please advise if Lumix G X VARIO 35-100mm/F2.8 can be used for x5s gimbal, if adding a counter weight at the back of the gimbal for balancing? It is a inner focus zoom lens...

Last edited:
The F2.8 version of the Lumix 35-100 would be better in low light and cost 900 +-, the F4-5 version is half its weight and costs 300+- if light is not an issue. There is a good ISO range on the 5s camera so I would be looking at the F4-5 version for inspection because you can push the camera capabilities a little and save on the weight of the lens.
That being said.......we still don't know if either of these will fit.

Reactions: garyd103
Bad part of the z30 zoom camera is it is only 2 megapixels (ugh!). You might get a better image by cropping off the newer 20 megapixel cameras even with a shorter lens. Less telephoto vision shake too.

That is true Casey for stills, however the idea of only 2MP on the z30 allows for fast streaming of video for monitors on the ground for real time inspections and directions from ground people to the pilot for re-positioning etc.
At least that is what I have gleaned from information/comments out there.

Bad part of the z30 zoom camera is it is only 2 megapixels (ugh!). You might get a better image by cropping off the newer 20 megapixel cameras even with a shorter lens. Less telephoto vision shake too.

Another indicator that it was definitely meant to be more of an inspection type lens with the 30X optical zoom is the fat that it only shoots JPGs - on DNG or RAW photos of any type.

So, when someone says this is a 30x zoom, that refers to the range of the zoom. For example a 3mm to 9mm zoom would be 3x. But so would a 20mm to 60mm.

So just knowing that it is 30x really doesn't tell you what the focal lengths are to compare it with the above lenses.

Looking over the DJI specs

Zenmuse Z30 - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO - DJI

It doesn't seem to list the focal lengths. Googling hasn't given me the answer either.

The reason I ask is that with a 2.1mp sensor you are not getting that many pixels on the subject.

Maybe a 12mp sensor at 90mm (i.e. the Oly 45mm lens) gets more pixels on the distant object than a 2.1mp sensor does at 200mm (or whatever the zoom equivalent is).

RMUS has recently posted some great looking video of the zoom - it looks fun. But until someone can point out the actual focal lengths we can't really compare the z30 with the above lenses.

On a monitor at 72 dpi a 2mp image is approx 14 x 28 inches utilizing a 1:2 crop. Plenty enough for inspection work. You may not get very nice prints at 300 dpi. But Storage for viewing will take little hard drive space. The z30 is for Inspections.........
What I can't figure out is why is it soooooo expensive.

@FromAbove

Here's a good video on how to balance a lumix 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 lens on a X5 camera

and even a video on a Lumix 45-150mm

Happy balancing:)
Thanks a lot. Seen that too. Kinda shame that I cannot figure out how to make scalable counter weight.
Also thanks to the other comments.
Smooth flight in the holiday season.

just had a response from DJI confirming that the z30 won't be able to be used. I know all the others cameras wouldn't work but hoped this might. The other point is that they were not aware of any other zoom cameras being prepared for inspire 2.

With the added stability, obstacle avoidance etc it's quite well placed for inspection work, it just needs a camera or lens with a good zoom.
Funny this is posted cause I was just noticing on b&h how similar the gimbal connector looked just like the connections on the I2. Sad that it won't work but good ideas below. I just have a v2 but I'm buying an x5 soon and a couple lenses. Glad you guys like the olympus 14-42 because that's what I'm considering buying first, if not that 45mm. Thanks for the info

My bad guys. I got carried away reading and forgot I was commenting on an inspire 2 post. I was talking about my i1 . Have a great Xmas everyone

they are very stupid to bring out all those previous cameras, z30 , z3 , XT camera and then make a state of the are drone and have them redundant. Very very poor thought process there. I am sure they could make an adapter if they really wanted to, as the previous cameras mentioned are all self recording and dont need the I2 internals for camera recording like the new ones made for the I2.
OR
Its a massive money grab AGAIN like making different batteries for the M100 to the M600 and inspire, that just screams greed to me.

Why not put the X5S camera on the Inspire 2? You can use either the Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm/3.5-5.6 HD, or the Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm/4.0-5.6

The range would be equivalent of 18-84mm on a 35mm camera depending on the lens on the X5S sensor.
I believe the added weight of the longer lenses puts the gimbal out of balance, which can only be compensated with more weight...argh. Perhaps I'm wrong??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu