Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2range

I really don't understand why anyone would send a $5000 drone further than they can see it. I have seen videos where they are beyond visual range that that just doesn't make sense to me because you are at risk of losing the drone and you will have no idea where is unless you have a GPS tracker on it. 500 m is the maximum our insurance is covered for so there is no point in going any further.

I never will again, thats for sure! Had to perform this test for the first time. Waaay too stressful.

That's what insurance is for. Takes the stress out of flying and allows more enjoyment. Where I live, the islands and sea are well beyond line of sight. If I want to take shots of the shoreline, I can buy a Spark or use my Mavic.

I really don't understand why anyone would send a $5000 drone further than they can see it. I have seen videos where they are beyond visual range that that just doesn't make sense to me because you are at risk of losing the drone and you will have no idea where is unless you have a GPS tracker on it. 500 m is the maximum our insurance is covered for so there is no point in going any further.

My insurance covers complete drone loss. I have piece of mind and spend more time enjoying and less time worrying. Not everything I see is within 500 meters. Sometimes yes and most times not so I check the surroundings and make sure I am within the allowed flight limits as prescribed by Finnish law, and the local airports and away I go.

Yeah well in the UK we have really strict laws and if you go over 500 m you get have the potential to get clobbered by the CAA besides why risk a $5000 drone

Yeah well in the UK we have really strict laws and if you go over 500 m you get have the potential to get clobbered by the CAA besides why risk a $5000 drone

I don't live in the U.K. So as long as I obey Finnish flight laws, and exercise common sense, I am allowed to fly safely. Also, as I stated, I have insurance that covers my drone against loss, I so am not worried. It is only a drone after all and for me, it's a hobby. I spend more time flying and photographing, and videoing and less time worrying about how far away the drone is. As long at I can see it on my iPad or other table device I am good to go. I had an iPad crash/reboot once. I immediately initiated the RTH as I no longer had a view of where the drone was.

i fly mine out of sight all the time i like the unknown feeling im planing on getting
CONQUER ANTENNA SYSTEM and push it even further; in an open field obviously

I don't live in the U.K. So as long as I obey Finnish flight laws, and exercise common sense, I am allowed to fly safely. Also, as I stated, I have insurance that covers my drone against loss, I so am not worried. It is only a drone after all and for me, it's a hobby. I spend more time flying and photographing, and videoing and less time worrying about how far away the drone is. As long at I can see it on my iPad or other table device I am good to go. I had an iPad crash/reboot once. I immediately initiated the RTH as I no longer had a view of where the drone was.
I thought Finnish law was 150m/492ft maximum height agl and within line of sight at all times (being able to see something on an iPad doesn't count as LOS)
A word to the wise - Your insurance which you seem to be relying on will not pay you a penny/dime if it is determined that at the time of loss you were flying outside of your countries UAV laws/regulations which if you are operating BVLOS you will be.
Underwriters will keep the premium and void the policy.
Good luck.

Reactions: DaBone
I thought Finnish law was 150m/492ft maximum height agl and within line of sight at all times (being able to see something on an iPad doesn't count as LOS)
A word to the wise - Your insurance which you seem to be relying on will not pay you a penny/dime if it is determined that at the time of loss you were flying outside of your countries UAV laws/regulations which if you are operating BVLOS you will be.
Good luck.

First hit when I used Google..
Tom's Tech Time - Drones, Reviews, Comparisons

Good luck.

The school that certified me also has an insurance underwriter. The rules in Finland are/have changed. The current height limit is 150m in uncontrolled airspace, but in controlled airspace, it depends on the air traffic control center and their height restrictions. I call prior to every flight to let them know I am in the air. My telephone number and data is automatically recorded. As for BVLOS, when I showed the instructor how I was able to track the drone via the iPad and the "built-in" RTH features, there was no problem with BVLOS especially when I only do it out over the sea. If it crashes and the insurance company won't pay, then I will pay out of my pocket to get a new one with the X7S; but considering the certifying instructor wasn't concerned, neither am I.

The school that certified me also has an insurance underwriter. The rules in Finland are/have changed. The current height limit is 150m in uncontrolled airspace, but in controlled airspace, it depends on the air traffic control center and their height restrictions. I call prior to every flight to let them know I am in the air. My telephone number and data is automatically recorded. As for BVLOS, when I showed the instructor how I was able to track the drone via the iPad and the "built-in" RTH features, there was no problem with BVLOS especially when I only do it out over the sea. If it crashes and the insurance company won't pay, then I will pay out of my pocket to get a new one with the X7S; but considering the certifying instructor wasn't concerned, neither am I.

That say´s more about the instructor, then anything... I have several times needed to go down or home, because of low flying airplanes and helicopters out in the archipelago. Not forget big eagles and other birds..
So if you hit a bird, the drone goes down and maybe hit a sailer or a fisherman in a small boat.. no risk assessment.

Not sure when this was published but there have been some very recent "no fly" zone postings and some discussions about POS registrations.

From the Finnish Transport Safety Agency
Trafi.fi - FAQ

"26. How far can I fly with a remotely piloted or model aircraft?

An exact distance has not been determined, but the aircraft must be controllable at all times. Depending on the prevailing weather and lighting conditions, the aircraft must be flown sufficiently close to the remote pilot, RPA observer or model aircraft pilot so that other traffic and obstacles can be detected and the need for any avoiding action determined reliably by direct visual contact without any visual aids.
Typically, the distance should be around 500 meters at maximum, taking into account the size of the aircraft. Small aircraft need to be flown closer, whereas larger aircraft may possibly be flown further, provided that the conditions listed above are met.
The use of an observer in model aircraft flying is only allowed with an exemption granted for First Person View (FPV) competition activities."

That say´s more about the instructor, then anything... I have several times needed to go down or home, because of low flying airplanes and helicopters out in the archipelago. Not forget big eagles and other birds..
So if you hit a bird, the drone goes down and maybe hit a sailer or a fisherman in a small boat.. no risk assessment.

I can understand your point clearly. About 6 weeks ago I had to report a helicopter that was flying below the 50m restriction for the area I was in. I called the ATC and held on while the ATC operator chewed out the helicopter for flying too low. Also, the ATC controller had informed the helicopter that there was a drone (me) in the area and that I was at max (50m) and to be aware. The helicopter didn't I guess but he did leave the area after getting an ear full from the ATC. As for risk assessments you really have only a few options: 1. Don't fly and thus no risk at all. 2. Know the area where to fly (out over the sea for me) and what is in the environment. I never overfly boats or people on the sea and should I take a photo or two, I am well away from them.

From the Finnish Transport Safety Agency
Trafi.fi - FAQ

"26. How far can I fly with a remotely piloted or model aircraft?

An exact distance has not been determined, but the aircraft must be controllable at all times. Depending on the prevailing weather and lighting conditions, the aircraft must be flown sufficiently close to the remote pilot, RPA observer or model aircraft pilot so that other traffic and obstacles can be detected and the need for any avoiding action determined reliably by direct visual contact without any visual aids.
Typically, the distance should be around 500 meters at maximum, taking into account the size of the aircraft. Small aircraft need to be flown closer, whereas larger aircraft may possibly be flown further, provided that the conditions listed above are met.
The use of an observer in model aircraft flying is only allowed with an exemption granted for First Person View (FPV) competition activities."

And.... I have the Trafi regulations. Maybe I didn't make it clear but the person providing the training works with Trafi to create the regulations. He had never actually seen an Inspire 2 and how it flies as well as the safety features. With this in mind, he saw no problem with me flying BVLOS and using my iPad to see what is in my area.

And.... I have the Trafi regulations. Maybe I didn't make it clear but the person providing the training works with Trafi to create the regulations. He had never actually seen an Inspire 2 and how it flies as well as the safety features. With this in mind, he saw no problem with me flying BVLOS and using my iPad to see what is in my area.

What is the instructor's name? Shouldn´t be hard to get him kicked in no time .. if that's right.

If he hasn´t seen the security features in the Inspire, he probibly not seen a drone in recent years. It is important to stay up to date. ;)

But the security features do not help if you fly as you do. You have no idea what's happening from the side. Is there any low flying plan? A bird you do not see? Etc. etc ... You have zero vision except for the way the camera is watching.

What do you think happens if a small propeller plane flies into an Inspire 2? Or if after a bird crash the drone falls into a small fishing boat?

So, how about some risk assessment? Didn´t learn that?

Reactions: DrMrdalj
What is the instructor's name? Shouldn´t be hard to get him kicked in no time .. if that's right.

If he hasn´t seen the security features in the Inspire, he probibly not seen a drone in recent years. It is important to stay up to date. ;)

But the security features do not help if you fly as you do. You have no idea what's happening from the side. Is there any low flying plan? A bird you do not see? Etc. etc ... You have zero vision except for the way the camera is watching.

What do you think happens if a small propeller plane flies into an Inspire 2? Or if after a bird crash the drone falls into a small fishing boat?

So, how about some risk assessment? Didn´t learn that?

Who appointed you lord Trafi and determiner of all that is correct? And to get someone kicked because you deem it so. Have you considered your ego is a tad bit over inflated? You live in Sweden so live by those rules (nice way of saying mind your own business) and let other countries figure it out for themselves. The other option is to apply for a job with the EU and make policy then.

As for risk assessment, by your standards the Inspire should stay in a box on the shelf. Or don’t charge the batteries because they may explode. Or don’t start the motors, a propeller could fly off and hit someone. Or you could get it in the air and get a fly away and it could reek havoc on a global scale. Or it could become self-aware and start hunting all life forms. As for my risk, I’m out over the sea at 50m even though I am allowed to fly higher, away from people, boats and you.

Are we done here?

Me.. ;)

During the years I have been flying drones, there have been no major differences in Swedish and Finnish law, as far as drones are concerned.
And the paragraph I cited before shows that too.

A drone is to fly, but with understanding.

In Sweden we will have new laws from 1 januari, some changes for better and worse.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegetour