Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Inspire Pro with X5 no geotagging in images

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Discussion' started by Michael Asgian, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Michael Asgian

Kinda baffled... WTF? Is this a setting that's default OFF ?

2. Nick DroneBase

I'm interested, is this true?

3. Scotflieger

Using Apple's Image Capture, geotags are displayed for both still jpg/DNG and .mov files from the X5.

PS. rather than use expletives and have us guessing based on the post title, why not ask a proper question in English? You get a quicker answer.

The Editor, Kilrah and Nick DroneBase like this.
  4. Scotflieger

Just to add to my previous post, here are screen grabs from Apple's Image Capture and Adobe Bridge showing the geotag data for video and stills taken using the X5.

geotags.jpg

geotag2.jpg

5. Bart

Hello Scotflieger,

Is this correct ? Can we find the latitude, longitude and altitude data in every photo of the X5 ? Is the data for the altitude correct ? Because I can read 347m on your example and the altitude indication on a phantom for instance can vary.

Thanks in advance,

Bart

6. Scotflieger

GPS height data can never be relied on. The 347m is well above the height I was flying (max 120m) and my elevation (approx. 57m). However, this geotag is for the JPG image, the corresponding DNG image is tagged with 116.80m which I would say is correct. Other pairs are showing a 230m difference between the 2 formats within the same flight. Other flights show a 120-130m difference. This is obviously a bug.

Edited: The lat/long for both formats is the same in every case and is accurate.

7. Michael Asgian

I did another flight today and it logged all good. I wonder what happened last time...

8. Bart

Thanks for the quick reply, Scotflieger

I'm hoping that the Inspire pro would evolve to geotags with correct altitudes. For photogrammetry purposes it is advisable that the photos will be taken at the preprogrammed (correct latitude, longitude and altitude) waypoints. This would be a leap forwards.

Bart

9. IrishSights

As the barometer in an ipad is a lot more accurate I wonder has any of the SDK app crew thought of using the takeoff barometer reading as a baseline for the inflight barometer and stick those tarred values in the geotags.

10. Bart

I hope the people from Dji are looking at this thread. Because adding the ability to have correct geotags on every photo and an fpv camera in the inspire's nose would be a major improvement. Technically this would be not a great challenge for them, but a great surplus for us (pilots)

Bart

11. Scotflieger

I
    I have posted my observations on the DJI Driving Force forum - they should see it there. There is obviously a coding error between the tagging of the DNG and JPG images on the X5. I have used X3 JPG images before with MapsMadeEasy with good results. I plan to do some detailed imagery to quantify the issue. I have noticed (but can not yet verify) that the error is greater with higher aircraft altitudes.

12. Krokant

Is there a way to transfer the exif data from the .dwg files to the .jpg files? Because most photogrammetry software just doesn't accept .dwg files. It would be a quick fix. In the end this is something that should work straight out of the box. Any difference between inspire 1 upgrade and inspire 1 pro or is it just the x5 FW ?