Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

iPad Mini Gen 4

Reaction score
New Inspire 2 owner here.

I have an iPad Mini 4 which I used to fly my old Inspire 1 without any issues. I am also using the same iPad Mini fly my Phantom 4 Pro flawlessly.

Well, yesterday I took the I2 for a spin for the first time. The AC flew flawlessly, except that at times I saw a message on the screen "CPU overloaded - performance may be reduced" something like that, can't remember the exact wording of the error message and there was a bit of lagging but not much. Isn't the iPad Mini Gen 4 not powerful enough for the I2?.

Aside from that the Inspire flew like a charm, what a flying beauty.

The mini 4 (current) has been fine to fly for most. Do you turn your iPad off completely when not using it? Are you relatively up to date with the OS?

The mini 4 (current) has been fine to fly for most. Do you turn your iPad off completely when not using it?

No, I do not turn off the Mini 4 when not using it. I don't think I have ever done that. That maybe part of the problem?.

QUOTE="tibook, post: 161463, member: 38438"]
Are you relatively up to date with the OS?[/QUOTE]
No I am not up to date with the OS, for the last few days the Mini4 has been prompting me to update to 10.3.3

I was also thinking I should remove DJI Go 4 App and re-install it, should not hurt.

Ok I will try that first.
From the hardware stand point the iPad Mini 4 is capable to run DJI Go App 4 to fly the I2, correct ?
It isn't the best but it works fine for now. The iPad Air 2 works better and the new iPad 2017 as well.

I'm flying a Mini 4 as well and a while back I had the CPU overload issue. After a DJI Go app or two the error has not returned. My Mini 4 is only used for my Spark, Mavic, and Inspire 2. Nothing else other than the basic Apple apps are on it.

Reactions: mpaerial
I'm flying a Mini 4 as well and a while back I had the CPU overload issue. After a DJI Go app or two the error has not returned. My Mini 4 is only used for my Spark, Mavic, and Inspire 2. Nothing else other than the basic Apple apps are on it.

I updated the iOS in the iPad Mini 4, it was prompting me to update to 10.3.3 and ignored the message for a while. Also took the opportunity to re-start the device, I never turn it off.

I flew the I2 yesterday afternoon, despite been a hot day (104 deg F) and the iPad getting really hot, no CPU overloaded error messages. Of course the outside temp was making the iPad get really hot.
When I landed the I2, the batteries were hotter than normal and the motors pretty hot to the touch, was flying in an open field in the sun.

As far ahead as apple silicon is, I'm sure the mini 4 is about as capable as what's in a CS, if I had to bet. The CPU overload is probably something that can be improved with code optimization, and could be a result of buggy code that gets addressed later on.

As far ahead as apple silicon is, I'm sure the mini 4 is about as capable as what's in a CS, if I had to bet. The CPU overload is probably something that can be improved with code optimization, and could be a result of buggy code that gets addressed later on.

The CPU overload seems to have been fixed with the last few updates. I have not had it sense.

SanCap,

If you are incompetent, everyone here should pack it in. You are one of the most highly regarded and experienced participants on this forum.

DJI has not fixed the problem, and they do not choose to provide a rational explanation or update.

SanCap,

If you are incompetent, everyone here should pack it in. You are one of the most highly regarded and experienced participants on this forum.

DJI has not fixed the problem, and they do not choose to provide a rational explanation or update.

Barry, Thank You for the nice comment! Unfortunately I do not expect this issue to ever be corrected, with as long as it has been going on and all the aggravation it has given people like us that depend on our systems on a daily basis, I think we have been forgotten by DJI. I would really like to be proven WRONG!

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but it was more than coincidence that this occurred simultaneously with the release of the Crystal Sky.

Initially that was a passing thought... now I wonder. What a great way to sell their own monitors!

I use both and can not disagree with you. Two totally different units with different issues of there own. Neither is perfect but fortunately I have the opportunity to use both side by side, and pick and choose which one I want use for the situation. I wish it was different.

I turned my iPad mini 4 on today with the I2 and before I even started the motors I had a CPU overload warning! Maybe I am incompetent in operating a mini 4 and an I2 :)

SanCap, no need to go passive-aggressive. I should have been more specific in saying that as far as the CPU overload warning is concerned, it seems to be fixed for me. Prior to the last GO app update I was getting the CPU overload warnings but I don't get them anymore. Not to say it won't come back but as of right now I am flying without any warning indications. Not sure if its code related or the fact that the Mini 4 is simply being overwhelmed by trying to process all of that data. No idea, but I don't think (my opinion) that DJI is doing anything nefarious.

To further add, I am not sure if it is an environmental issue as well. For me, I am flying out over the sea most of the time and the temperature is around 18 degrees C., (welcome to the Finnish summer), and the humidity around maybe 50% or so. When I did get the error, it was only during the day. I fly a lot at night under similar conditions and haven't once seen the error occur. I am also using the Mini 4 when I fly my Mavic and have not encountered the warning.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegetour