Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

iPad overheating

Reaction score
Has anyone had problems with their iPad overheating during flight? Admittedly it gets hit in Florida, but I've tried to stay in the shade while flying and my iPad overheats frequently, giving an overheat message - says it must cool down before use.

I've used my iPad by the pool in direct sunlight before and never had a problem. It's only using DJI GO app during flight. I even tried it holding an ice pack against the back of the iPad once and still couldn't keep it cool enough!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: SanCap
Ugh. I swear I searched first, but now see there are other threads on this common issue. Sorry.

I am in AZ, so I have the same concerns. My iPad gets very hot when I am flying. I have never had it shut off, but it is a thought that I keep in the back of my mind.

I've got 2 iPad mini's in my GPC case, so sometimes I alternate between them when on site.

Ugh. I swear I searched first, but now see there are other threads on this common issue. Sorry.

No worries - yes there are numerous threads about IPad temperature and overheating.
The DJI Go app works the processor extremely hard and therefore pushes up the internal temp especially when the external ambient temp is high.

Has anyone had problems with their iPad overheating during flight? Admittedly it gets hit in Florida, but I've tried to stay in the shade while flying and my iPad overheats frequently, giving an overheat message - says it must cool down before use.

I've used my iPad by the pool in direct sunlight before and never had a problem. It's only using DJI GO app during flight. I even tried it holding an ice pack against the back of the iPad once and still couldn't keep it cool enough!

Maybe some thing like this?

Umbrella.jpg

It's a bit pricey as laptop type coolers go, but it seems to be plausibly compatible with the tablet cradle on the controllers (at least with an iPad Pro 9.6 inch). Obviously it wouldn't work with an iPhone 6s. :)

I agree, pricey and the only review of the product was less than stellar.
I have one of those folding cardboard sun shields that only makes my iPad retain more heat which I stopped using till it gets really cool outside. There has to be some type of heat sink that will draw or transfer the heat away, just have to keep searching.

Its not recommended to fly when the Temp is over 95 Degrees F, its bad on the batteries the motors and the tablet/phone, I have had the tablet over heat in Florida when the Temp has been 87. Its a combination of what people have said above, the tablet processor working hard and the outside air temp. Lets facet, tablets and phones were not built to fly drones. As opposed to icing it, get some cool/cold packs.

Its not recommended to fly when the Temp is over 95 Degrees F, its bad on the batteries the motors and the tablet/phone, I have had the tablet over heat in Florida when the Temp has been 87. Its a combination of what people have said above, the tablet processor working hard and the outside air temp. Lets facet, tablets and phones were not built to fly drones. As opposed to icing it, get some cool/cold packs.
Unfortunately for those of us in Arizona summers, 95 degrees is just a nice cool night :eek:. I have had to fly at the edge of the temp envelope (104) and it shut down after about 45 minutes (in the shade). Job required I only fly at 11am, it was a prison expansion construction job and the warden would only permit flights at lunch time with inmates indoor. Next time I plan to store the Ipad inside a ziploc bag inside my cooler on the way to the site to keep the temp. cool at least at the beginning of the job. We'll see if this works. Thank God it is beginning to cool....

Try this ...

Optimising your iOS iPad / iPhone for use with GO App.

Regardless of your iOS iPhone or iPad version or series, the following tip will optimise your iOS iPhone / iPad for maximum memory and performance when using GO App.

1. Unlock your iPhone / iPad and go to home screen.
2. Hold down the power button until the message “Slide to Power Off” appears.
3. Release Power button and hold down the Home button for six seconds so it returns to the App screen.
4. Now start GO App and enjoy maximum memory and performance from your iOS iPhone and iPad.

Enjoy and safe flying
Lynh Phan

Reactions: John Archer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EthanV875