Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is it possible to get permission to fly at an airport?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to buy a DJI drone for business purposes and was wondering if it is possible to fly at an airport.

Firstly, let me say I am very familiar with aviation and the FAA, regulations, safety, rules etc. and I know I am wanting to do the opposite of what most people with a drone want to do. My goal is going to be to go to an airport, setup the drone, setup a grid for the drone and autonomously fly it in a pattern so that I can stitch together the images and make an ultra high definition map. I would normally use satellite imagery but that only goes to 40cm resolution and Digital Globe wants $400+ for 10sqkm, with a drone I can do it nearly for free and at 1cm resolution, the drone would pay itself off in one project. I am going to use this map for creating a flight simulator airport for sale.

From what I understand I think the airport manager has the say so in terms of what is allowed and what is safe, and from my understanding I can talk to an airport manager, get the go ahead and with supervision and probably on a low traffic day, fly a drone at an airport and it be perfectly fine. I think asking a manger and getting permission is pretty likely, and that it doesn't endanger anyone, the odds are higher of a bird hitting an aircraft and a drone under supervision would be perfectly safe.

I have read that many airports even allow RC aircraft to fly at them, so I don't see an issue as long as I ask.

I just want to see what people think that are more familiar with drones first before I go off buying one.

Welcome to the InspirePilots forum, @BigCapitalist. The answer is yes, with the necessary with authorization, credentials, and responsibility. Depending on the airport classification, DJI's FlySafe GeoFencing could have a restricted zone for the airport which would not let you take off on the airport grounds. You would then need to submit an unlock request here: DJI FlySafe Unlock Request. Prior to going about the unlock, you would need to have documentation (likely a letter of authorization) from the airport manager or tower and direct contact information to confirm validity. It should be said out of general recommendation that you should have plenty of ample flight time to ensure you can operate safely under Part 107.

Happy to help with any further questions, don't hesitate to reach out. Best of luck and see you around the forum. Cheers!

Okay! That is what I was thinking but needed to research into it a little more just to be sure. I have been wondering if there was going to be a way to keep drones away from certain areas, that's pretty neat that they found a way to do it. Most likely there wont be a geo fence around the smaller airports that I would need to go to, although even if they are it is good that I can get a zone unlocked if I need to. Later on I may try to get to larger regional airports, but I am not quite sure with the extra traffic that it would be allowed. The majority of airports that I will try to map (maybe 2 a year) will have no towers, just a manager and low traffic so it is good to know I wont have to go through a lot of ridiculous regulations as long as I can get permission, which is likely. Even if I have to provide information to unlock an area and be able to fly at an airport then it is better than nothing!

I actually just realized I am on the wrong forum haha. I am looking at buying the Phantom 4 as the Inspire is probably not needed for my use...

Would you recommend the Phantom 4 Advanced or Pro? Are the extra sensors worth the price increase?

Thanks!

Reactions: Advexure
Okay! That is what I was thinking but needed to research into it a little more just to be sure. I have been wondering if there was going to be a way to keep drones away from certain areas, that's pretty neat that they found a way to do it. Most likely there wont be a geo fence around the smaller airports that I would need to go to, although even if they are it is good that I can get a zone unlocked if I need to. Later on I may try to get to larger regional airports, but I am not quite sure with the extra traffic that it would be allowed. The majority of airports that I will try to map (maybe 2 a year) will have no towers, just a manager and low traffic so it is good to know I wont have to go through a lot of ridiculous regulations as long as I can get permission, which is likely. Even if I have to provide information to unlock an area and be able to fly at an airport then it is better than nothing!

I actually just realized I am on the wrong forum haha. I am looking at buying the Phantom 4 as the Inspire is probably not needed for my use...

Would you recommend the Phantom 4 Advanced or Pro? Are the extra sensors worth the price increase?

Thanks!

Check how DJI has the GEO zone of the airport classified here: DJI GEO Zone Map

Only difference between P4 Pro and Advanced are the rear sensors that the P4 Advanced is lacking. Rear sensors are nice to have but at the end of the day I can't say on the P4P that I've personally used rear all that often. Only other aircraft from DJI that has rear is the Mavic Air now. Going with the P4 Advanced is a nice way to save a few hundred bucks and you are not sacrificing any imaging quality. Any specific questions pertaining to your operation and aircraft selection feel free to PM or email [email protected].

Reactions: BigCapitalist

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu