Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

is there something wrong with my X5s when shooting RAW?

So i just got the my I2 all ready for RAW 5.2k. I did a quick flight to test. I used After effects to color grade and i noticed a lot of pixelation/artifacts especially in highlighted areas. Please see the clip below:

At first I thought maybe it was from burned pixels on the sensor, but the ProRes and the h.26x footage do not have this. Should I have my I2 returned? after spending all this money for RAW recording, it is definitely disappointing.

any advice is welcomed.
This is ain't right. What was your workflow to YT from DNG Raw?

I just read you said the pixelation was in the raw stills. Did you use a LUT to covert it?

Let me know what all of your settings were. It's definitely wrong.

Even what you are calling good looks massively pixelated to me. There is something wrong with your camera I would bet. Mostly likely a bad sensor (put generically since I have no idea).

Last edited:
I'm sending my camera in. Hopefully it will get fixed.

My workflow from dng to YouTube is this:

Convert the dng files in davinci. When I convert the dng I use the luts from cinema5d.com. I use the raw to Log lut. Then in a next node I use the arri logc to Rec 709 just because I like the look. Then I render at 4444xq.
Then I create a project in fcpx import the 4444xq file and the share it on you tube.

Reactions: Inspire1vision
Fwiw, I received my ssd today and put it through a test run. Not seeing any of the artifacts your footage displayed in any of the codecs. The 5.2k raw is particularly stunning.

Fwiw, I received my ssd today and put it through a test run. Not seeing any of the artifacts your footage displayed in any of the codecs. The 5.2k raw is particularly stunning.

Thanks. Rub it in!!!

I just sent it back via ups today. Hopefully it gets resolved. I wonder if it is actually the cinecore 2.0 that is faulty?? Isn't that on the inspire drone itself? I hope I don't have to send the drone in later. They just had me send be x5s.....ugh.

I'm sending my camera in. Hopefully it will get fixed.

My workflow from dng to YouTube is this:

Convert the dng files in davinci. When I convert the dng I use the luts from cinema5d.com. I use the raw to Log lut. Then in a next node I use the arri logc to Rec 709 just because I like the look. Then I render at 4444xq.
Then I create a project in fcpx import the 4444xq file and the share it on you tube.

Hi Smoak,

Not related to your pixel issue but to general processing. Has you made a color space/gamma adjustment to the RAW settings before you used the RAW to LOG LUT?

Hi Smoak,

Not related to your pixel issue but to general processing. Has you made a color space/gamma adjustment to the RAW settings before you used the RAW to LOG LUT?

Not usually. I just take the the raw footage as is and apply the cinem5d raw to log lut to it to get it as close to arri Alexa logc profile.

Not usually. I just take the the raw footage as is and apply the cinem5d raw to log lut to it to get it as close to arri Alexa logc profile.

Hi,

The fellow who made that LUT noted that it was designed to be applied after a colorspace/gamma change to Blagmagic Film in Resolve. Give that a try before applying. It will save your whites, etc.

Last edited:
Hi,

The fellow who made that LUT noted that it was designed to be applied after a colorspace/gamma change to Blagmagic Film in Resolve. Give that a try before applying. It will save your whites, etc.

Yes. I do that. I didn't know that was what you meant. I thought you asked if I colorgrade
The footage prior to applying the lut.

Yes I did change it to black magic, clicked highlight recovery, etc. sorry for the confusion

Yes. I do that. I didn't know that was what you meant. I thought you asked if I colorgrade
The footage prior to applying the lut.

Yes I did change it to black magic, clicked highlight recovery, etc. sorry for the confusion

Got it. What steps are you taking after that? I am getting a very different result from those steps with your file.

As I'm still waiting for my **** SSD, I haven't had the pleasure, but shooting in raw, the same rules apply. Very important to "not clip highlights", especially if you plan to have a "darkened" sky look. "Regular" gammas build a knee into the curve that lets the highlights roll off in a pleasing way, hiding most clipping. But Raw encoding exposes the limits of the sensor in many ways...and if Go4 is showing the "raw" data versus applying a gamma during shooting, the first most common mistake someone would make would be to overexpose, as a correctly exposed Raw, with no gamma applied should look very dark.(I really doubt DJI is showing unadulterated raw through the app, it's probably some sort of log they are applying, but regardless protecting the highlights is just as important in raw as in any other mode). Lets see your DNG and hopefully that will shed some light on this.

Wow! thanks for sharing! I did not know that! Very helpful! thank you!

So i just got the my I2 all ready for RAW 5.2k. I did a quick flight to test. I used After effects to color grade and i noticed a lot of pixelation/artifacts especially in highlighted areas. Please see the clip below:

At first I thought maybe it was from burned pixels on the sensor, but the ProRes and the h.26x footage do not have this. Should I have my I2 returned? after spending all this money for RAW recording, it is definitely disappointing.

any advice is welcomed.
Don't know if this is still an active thread, but as of 3 days ago, I am experiencing the same thing. Oddly though only in the prores codec, not the raw. You can see/read more here including links to samples. Help? Dancing black and white dots.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephaineL