Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Johnson Valley California Off-road fun

Reaction score
Hey all,

Little nervous posting my video here. Lots of good shots/cuts on this board.

Having some fun with my Inspire chasing my cousin around while he drives my Yamaha YXZ. The shots aren't perfect and there's plenty of room for improvement so please feel free to give constructive criticism. Id appreciate it. (Song at the end is by DEVO - Gut Feeling [SlapYourMammy]

Thanks for watching.

Regards,

Bill

Too long. Take those various angles you added toward the end and cut them into some the first 3 minutes, ditch the rest (shortening the video) and it will improve the video considerably. Minute and a half max!

Also, a second GoPro aimed at the drive from the front would have helped, too.

Reactions: Bill Houk
Hey all,

Little nervous posting my video here. Lots of good shots/cuts on this board.

Having some fun with my Inspire chasing my cousin around while he drives my Yamaha YXZ. The shots aren't perfect and there's plenty of room for improvement so please feel free to give constructive criticism. Id appreciate it. (Song at the end is by DEVO - Gut Feeling [SlapYourMammy]

Thanks for watching.

Regards,

Bill
What a great place to be able to fly.

Some amazing footage and good flying which I imagine was beyond effective VLOS at times. I agree that a variety of short clips work best, it seems that our brains like to see a change of scene after a few seconds.

Did you use an X3 or X5 camera? Couldn't quite tell looking at the Inspire but I struggle to see the difference in videos anyway.

Awesome, I was just down there for King of the Hammers earlier this year - super cool spot! Too bad no drones allowed when I was there, for good reasons of course...
Agreed it is long and another GoPro angle or two would help, but the shooting is pretty sweet!

Yea, what a great place to fly..some cool shots, congrats! For me, it's the audio. GP audio was always in my ears, like I was still beside the driver even when you cut into the air shots. Take's down to 50% or so... it's just me. Nice location though! Thanks for sharing!

Too long. Take those various angles you added toward the end and cut them into some the first 3 minutes, ditch the rest (shortening the video) and it will improve the video considerably. Minute and a half max!

Also, a second GoPro aimed at the drive from the front would have helped, too.

100% disagree!!!!

I think there's a great mix of in-car and drone footage that work together to show what's going on. The in-car video gives you the perspective of the driver and the drone footage puts it into the landscape/setting.

****, that F1 race I just watched should have been cut to one and a half minutes so they don't repeat (laps) -- so boring!

Absolutely wonderful video and very well flown...

Brian

Great job syncing the 2 video streams with the audio stream. That's important, especially when you're seeing wheel spin and the motor revving.. Othewise it would look out of place.

Like inspired 1 said, I find that the normal attention span for people watching videos is max 90 seconds.

The only critic I would have is that you want to try to get the exposures and colors to match between cameras. It looks like the Inspire footage was under exposed and doesn't match the Go Pro's exposure. You can usually correct in almost any editing software. It's hard to get the exposure on the inspire because in bright daylight, it's hard to see the tablet screen sometimes. So you want to use the Histogram so you can see the exposure values. It's better to be under exposed than overexposed.

Also be careful of your VLOS when posting videos because that raises red flags. In this video it looks like you're well past your line of site. I know the inspire has a long range, but FAA has dictated that you can't flight BVLOS for good reason, except in your location there shouldn't be ANY reason not to (no one for miles around).. :(

Everyone has to start somewhere and even though it is not a professional million dollar video it doesn't matter. 8 years ago the average joe would not have been able to even think about pulling a video like that off. Nice job either way keep it up and have fun.

Great job syncing the 2 video streams with the audio stream. That's important, especially when you're seeing wheel spin and the motor revving.. Othewise it would look out of place.

Like inspired 1 said, I find that the normal attention span for people watching videos is max 90 seconds.

The only critic I would have is that you want to try to get the exposures and colors to match between cameras. It looks like the Inspire footage was under exposed and doesn't match the Go Pro's exposure. You can usually correct in almost any editing software. It's hard to get the exposure on the inspire because in bright daylight, it's hard to see the tablet screen sometimes. So you want to use the Histogram so you can see the exposure values. It's better to be under exposed than overexposed.

Also be careful of your VLOS when posting videos because that raises red flags. In this video it looks like you're well past your line of site. I know the inspire has a long range, but FAA has dictated that you can't flight BVLOS for good reason, except in your location there shouldn't be ANY reason not to (no one for miles around).. :(

It's hard to see if he actually flew beyond LOS but it would be wise to avoid doing so.

I hate to be that guy that has to constantly point out that not everyone has the attention span of a gnat on crack and once again the video gives you both in car footage as well as drone footage that gives another perspective of the car and it's movements but also provides a wider view that puts the car in the scene. The scenery there reminds me a bit of the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine.

I wonder if in another generation or two the attention span has dropped to nano seconds and videos lasting more than a single frame would be considered boring. We had someone post a video here a while back that had quick cuts with scenes lasting only a fraction of a second and after about 20 seconds I needed to close it or risk motion sickness. There were those here that applauded him. To each his own...

Brian

Nice job! That being said, I've gotten the same critique on the lengths of the cuts on my own videos. A shorter and faster paced cut is probably better for general consumption.

I've also experienced a challenge in matching up exposures of two cameras. In my case, I'm using the osmo as a dash cam in my Maverick, and since I'm using a polar pro nd8 filter on one and a 16 on the other, it leads to quite the mismatch. I need to invest in another set so I can use a matching pair for simultaneous shots. Did you use any filters on your cameras?

Nice job! That being said, I've gotten the same critique on the lengths of the cuts on my own videos. A shorter and faster paced cut is probably better for general consumption.

I've also experienced a challenge in matching up exposures of two cameras. In my case, I'm using the osmo as a dash cam in my Maverick, and since I'm using a polar pro nd8 filter on one and a 16 on the other, it leads to quite the mismatch. I need to invest in another set so I can use a matching pair for simultaneous shots. Did you use any filters on your cameras?

"A shorter and faster paced cut is probably better for general consumption."

Why?

If you have two cameras shooting video at the same time you probably need two sets of ND filters. I went to B&H and purchased an 46mm ND2, ND4, ND8 and ND16 as well as a step up ring (37mm-46mm) and the total was less than $80. I later added a 46mm UV filter for those times the light is too dark to warrant a ND filter and in order to maintain proper balance.

The ND2, ND4 and ND8 were from Hoya and the ND16 was a Tiffen.

Brian

"A shorter and faster paced cut is probably better for general consumption."

Why?

Because the hard fact of the matter is not everyone is as enamored with each and every shot of our video as we are.

KEY: Always leave your audience wanting more. That way, they're much more likely to come back.

The pace of the video--faster or slower--should be determined by the subject matter.

This is all very good information! I seriously appreciate the advice given by all of you!!

A little background on this video. The original reason I put this together was to show people how the new modified shocks were working vs the stock setup. One of the main reasons for the longer shots. This was for a different forum that's dedicated to the YXZ1000r. While I was putting the video together I also tried to be a little creative and cut back and forth from the Gopro / i1 and add music etc.. Since I was using the Inspire, I thought I'd share the video here as well and I'm glad I did because some useful information has been provided by you guys.

fab72 - I used the ND filter that the i1 came with on the X3. The Gopro did not have a filter. The Gopro is now set to protune and the X3 in D-Log. This should make things a little easier in post.

Raptorman - I do intend on picking up a set of ND filters for both cameras. Thank you for the suggestion.

InspiredOne - We did change the gopro to aim at the driver but it probably would have helped if we actually hit record to capture that angle. Instead, I have footage of the camera being removed from the mount and placed in the case. Hahahahaaa DOH!

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. Very much appreciated!

Bill

Because the hard fact of the matter is not everyone is as enamored with each and every shot of our video as we are.

KEY: Always leave your audience wanting more. That way, they're much more likely to come back.

The pace of the video--faster or slower--should be determined by the subject matter.

It does not matter what the subject is or medium used there will never in the history of the planet be anything that everyone agrees on!

OK, with that out of the way let me point out that you made my point for me with the statement "The pace of the video--faster or slower--should be determined by the subject matter." I'd add that knowing your audience matters to. One of the most popular sub topics on Youtube are train videos and the folks that like/love train videos are particularly insensitive to video length as many/most of them are 15 minutes and often longer or even much longer. That might not fly with millennials but for the audience the like train videos the idea that it needs to be kept to 87 seconds and needs 40 different scenes is anathema.

So, while many on THIS board may feel a need for short, fast paced videos clearly many others are not so limited in attention span.

This particular video, as I point out once again, shows both in-car and drone footage and as the OP pointed out he was looking to see the way the shocks performed so HIS intentions were not YOURS. Should he have edited the video to meet YOUR needs?

Brian

It does not matter what the subject is or medium used there will never in the history of the planet be anything that everyone agrees on!

That's a given.

OK, with that out of the way let me point out that you made my point for me with the statement "The pace of the video--faster or slower--should be determined by the subject matter." I'd add that knowing your audience matters to. One of the most popular sub topics on Youtube are train videos and the folks that like/love train videos are particularly insensitive to video length as many/most of them are 15 minutes and often longer or even much longer. That might not fly with millennials but for the audience the like train videos the idea that it needs to be kept to 87 seconds and needs 40 different scenes is anathema.

No one here has made such a suggestion. I've seen videos/movies over three hours long, which I liked immensely. So what's your point here? What makes a long video/movie palatable is how it's put together.

So, while many on THIS board may feel a need for short, fast paced videos clearly many others are not so limited in attention span.

It has nothing to do with attention span and everything with what constitutes good film editing. This is a public forum. That must be taken into account. If not, you make get replies you don't like--comes with the territory.

This particular video, as I point out once again, shows both in-car and drone footage and as the OP pointed out he was looking to see the way the shocks performed so HIS intentions were not YOURS.

A video done for one's own needs and one done for general consumption are, far, far, far more often than not, two entirely different videos. How long does it take to determine "the way the shocks performed"?

Should he have edited the video to meet YOUR needs?

Ironically, the OP is far more open to suggestions that you appear to be. After all, he did say "please feel free to give constructive criticism. Id appreciate it." I did. You appear to be the one who is having issues with "needs."

InspiredOne - We did change the gopro to aim at the driver but it probably would have helped if we actually hit record to capture that angle. Instead, I have footage of the camera being removed from the mount and placed in the case. Hahahahaaa DOH!

I feel your pain! :( Been there, done that more times that I'd care to admit.

That's a given.

No one here has made such a suggestion. I've seen videos/movies over three hours long, which I liked immensely. So what's your point here? What makes a long video/movie palatable is how it's put together.

It has nothing to do with attention span and everything with what constitutes good film editing. This is a public forum. That must be taken into account. If not, you make get replies you don't like--comes with the territory.

A video done for one's own needs and one done for general consumption are, far, far, far more often than not, two entirely different videos. How long does it take to determine "the way the shocks performed"?

Ironically, the OP is far more open to suggestions that you appear to be. After all, he did say "please feel free to give constructive criticism. Id appreciate it." I did. You appear to be the one who is having issues with "needs."

He made a video to see how the car performed -- you and others felt a needed to play armchair director whereas I was more than happy to complement him!

Brian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oharac