Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK LTA and TTA areas

Reaction score
Does anyone have any links to accurate military low flying maps.

Im sick of using the tiny one off the .gov website or from my training manual. It has no reference locations etc so is useless for quick reference.

Its only a matter of time before this causes a dispute i think. Can you see the areas on the premium skydemon?

Cheers
Mick

Curious as to why do you need an accurate map for them?

The main ones to avoid are mid Wales snowdonia (Mach loop etc) and the lakes which get low level almost daily, and if you watch the notams you get a fair idea when exercises are going on and you're more likely to get low mil traffic elsewhere.

Reactions: giumick
No real reason, i would of just liked at least an a4 size from them for a tad more accuracy.

Are you just tracking your notams on sky demon and AIS? Ive heard of folk not using AIS but its your proof of checking at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drone_Video
I use a mixture of skydemon and notaminfo.com to source the notams, and making a note of the notam details in flight logs.

I use notaminfo quite a bit as it can be set to show a local area and to show notams up to 7 days ahead (obviously they have to already be in pipeline to appear). The local area map is useful as I live under a mil route that concentrates traffic into and out of several T/RAs and popular low fly areas as they try to stay out of civ ctr/cta's - even if a notam doesn't directly impact me, it gives me additional warning that extra mil traffic may be around, especially if there are exercises upcoming. Skydemon isn't quite so useful in that respect as it's not quite so easy to see a broad overview of a wide area.

I've never really found the need for exact geographical boundary on the LFAs, other than to know which one I'm in as sometimes a notam just refers to a general LFA number - usually for things like pipeline surveys. That's why I was wondering why you where after them!

Reactions: giumick
I use a mixture of skydemon and notaminfo.com to source the notams, and making a note of the notam details in flight logs.

I use notaminfo quite a bit as it can be set to show a local area and to show notams up to 7 days ahead (obviously they have to already be in pipeline to appear). The local area map is useful as I live under a mil route that concentrates traffic into and out of several T/RAs and popular low fly areas as they try to stay out of civ ctr/cta's - even if a notam doesn't directly impact me, it gives me additional warning that extra mil traffic may be around, especially if there are exercises upcoming. Skydemon isn't quite so useful in that respect as it's not quite so easy to see a broad overview of a wide area.

I've never really found the need for exact geographical boundary on the LFAs, other than to know which one I'm in as sometimes a notam just refers to a general LFA number - usually for things like pipeline surveys. That's why I was wondering why you where after them!

Ive been using notam info too, its very handy isnt it but as it says at the site to they hold no accountability for accuracy so you need your nailed on source (AIS)

As regards LFAs i just want a better map really like i said as the .gov one looks really unprofessional and small. The LFA section seems more to ease angry residents. Maybe im just nit picking

Reactions: NickU
LFA's - wouldn't really sweat it, you're either in one or you're in another :confused:o_O:D:D Main thing is to make sure to know where your local DA & RA(T)s are so you don't get lit by a Typhoon or Apache, or have a squaddie tapping you on the shoulder asking if you've seen the red flag 'cause some s*d's pinched it :eek:.

As to sources, so long as you've made reasonable efforts to check and yup, a couple of different sources is useful. Thing with notams is that they can appear at short notice, so even if you've checked you can still miss one - eg if a TRA is needed for SAR ops. Hopefully the presence of approaching blue lights nearby might warn you to that tho'!

Any website is always going to have a disclaimer, I'm sure if you dig enough there'll be one on the AIS somewhere :rolleyes::D. If they're trying/want to nail you for something, then they'll find some way regardless of if you checked the ais or not.

LFA's - wouldn't really sweat it, you're either in one or you're in another :confused:o_O:D:D Main thing is to make sure to know where your local DA & RA(T)s are so you don't get lit by a Typhoon or Apache, or have a squaddie tapping you on the shoulder asking if you've seen the red flag 'cause some s*d's pinched it :eek:.

As to sources, so long as you've made reasonable efforts to check and yup, a couple of different sources is useful. Thing with notams is that they can appear at short notice, so even if you've checked you can still miss one - eg if a TRA is needed for SAR ops. Hopefully the presence of approaching blue lights nearby might warn you to that tho'!

Any website is always going to have a disclaimer, I'm sure if you dig enough there'll be one on the AIS somewhere :rolleyes::D. If they're trying/want to nail you for something, then they'll find some way regardless of if you checked the ais or not.

I like typhoons i must say but dont like the idea of one ever gracing my inspire haha.

It could not bring the old girl down though. A well kept secret of the inspire 1 was that the usb port on the tail can power a chaff launcher. ;)

Cheers Mick

with due respect Dave, that's for the TTA's - it doesn't tend to give much other detail on other LFAs which is why you really need to keep an ear out for the RA(T)s and DAs for when they're active and for when exercises are going down. Some areas tend to have LL traffic all the time - like LFA11/12/13/17.

As an example, there's nothing listed for LFA 11/12/13 or LFA17 yesterday, but I had a jet go thru low when I was doing a bit of recreational flying. I was on the edge of LAF11 & he came from LFA11 (prob Leeming) heading into LFA17 (poss' aiming to route thru Dunmail/Lakes) and maybe onwards to Spade (LFA13) and home via Hexham Gap (LFA12).

Sorry - guess I'm used to LL traffic just turning up unannounced :eek:, I'm always keeping an eye and ear open for them as I usually have several over the house most days :cool::).

Hi Nick,

If a TTA is not active it can still be used for low flying training (ie, down to 250' for fixed wing and Heli's to ground level).

Haven't used it but the MOD have a number you can call for LFA info (or, I guess, to give them a heads up if you intend operating in one of their areas?)

MOD Low Level Advisory Service
Telephone: 0800 51 55 44
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm (November to March)
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (April to October)

Interesting what you say about low level traffic in your area. Does it get NOTAM'd?

Hi Dave,

Generally never, which is why I say the entire UK is an active LFA & you need to keep an eye and ear open for any traffic. Heli's and Prop's aren't too much issue as you can hear them coming a long way off (esp. Chinooks!), but jets are a bigger worry with their speed.

There are regular corridors that mil traffic use, some are official and marked as such, others are there simply because it's a popular/regular way in/out of an area. I live under one such corridor that feeds traffic between the Newcastle CTA and Spadeadam DA & RA's - general mil traffic routing North South can bypass Newcastle via the North Sea or go through what's known as the Hexham Gap - a narrow strip of class G airspace where they don't need to contact Newcatle tower or Spade Control. If exercises are under way in the north sea, then they'll often route via the gap to avoid the exercise area, if exercises are under way at Spade or Otterburn then the gap is often used by exercise aircraft to route in/out and by other non-exercise mil traffic at the same time.

The lakes is a popular low flying area for mil traffic (guess they enjoy the sceneray and the thrill :D ) - Traffic through the lakes often takes the routing I mentioned in a reply above - they go over the Dales to the north of Leeds CTA and can head for Kendal area and then via various Lake district valleys northwards. Sometimes they head on into Morecambe Bay, or to Galloway, or call in to Spadeadam for EW stuff. They then head back south to Yorks or Lincs either back thru the lakes, via the Durham dales, or via Hexam Gap. Dunmail Raise is a popular spot for aviation 'togs to photograph low flying traffic. It's a bit like the Mach Loop in N Wales.

The only times I've noticed where a specific notam regarding low flying is issued is when an exercise is taking place (eg Joint Warrior), or there's a forward control exercise in a localised area. Then, it's not about low flying, it's about AIAA's. Typically, the notams are really quiet this week, so I can't give you a specific link, but here's a link giving a general idea of what they're about... Forward Control Air Exercises - I've 3 such areas within 20-30 miles.

Basically, my experience is that the RAF (and friends) can and do fly low level anywhere and everywhere in the UK so the idea of specific low flying areas is a bit academic really.

If you know you've a job on and you're going to be malingering at 300-400ft in one area in the hills for a while, yes it'd probably be wise to call in and let the low level booking cell know a day or so before, then they can include you as a hazzard in the briefs - but they won't exclude your operating area and you can still have traffic through at low level, so you always need to keep that lookout. I've recently seen some amateur footage (think it was on youtube) from France or Belguim i think) that shows a mil jet passing underneath the drone - that's something I never want to happen to me :eek::oops::(

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor
As mentioned above, this kind of activity is usual in around the Lakes/North Wales and unannounced.
Take a look from 0:53 onwards and ask yourself.....
1. Would these guys even be able to see your Inspire at these speeds?
2. Even if they did could they really take evasive manoeuvres in time?

It's always your responsibility to stay out of the way to aircraft carrying souls.

As cool as the Inspire 1 and 2 are these guys take the 'cool' factor every time. :)

"250 ft" at 52secs in ;)

Roll on the day there's a fully functional and integrated ADS-B for the quads, then they might have a small chance of knowing we're around!
Ping is the only one that I know of but it is still a long way from integration into the NAS for all of us. :(
Ping

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on that, looks encouraging. shouldn't be too hard on ourselves for not having it yet tho' when you read the monthly airprox and see that even GA doesn't turn them on at times :( or is using an incompatible system (usually gliders for some reason)

Would be half a step forward if we could get an iPad with something like 360radar live out in field with our own geo-fence set around us at something like 15-20 miles out, then when they breach the fence we get a warning on screen or audible to beware. They still won't see us, but at least we'll have a brief warning they might be about to storm through, enough time to duck n cover.

Would still need some better mlat ground coverage in some areas though

Here's an example of the kind of low flying notification that might appear thru the notams, this is one for tomorrow and only appeared today - 1 days notice.

While I'm not in the actual area of the exercise, I'll be aware there may be more low level traffic in my general area - either going in/out of the exercise area itself, or stuff not taking part that's actively avoiding the exercise area!

H0705/17: Exercises will take place
Q) EGTT/QWELW/IV/BO/W/000/050/5437N00204W005
FORWARD AIR CONTROL EXER. 2 FAST JET ACFT WILL CONDUCT HIGH ENERGY
MANOEUVRES WI 5NM RADIUS 543706N 0020422W (NW OF BARNARD CASTLE,
COUNTY DURHAM). AIC Y078/2016 REFERS. ACFT MAY BE UNABLE TO COMPLY
WITH RAC. FOR INFO OSRAM 10 241.950MHZ OR 131.175MHZ AND TEL 01677
456161. 17-03-0124/OPS2
LOWER: Surface, UPPER: 5,000 Feet AMSL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads