Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Map Pilot vs Drone Deploy vs ???

Reaction score
Hello all, we will be flying our Matrice 600 equipped with a magnetometer for surveying purposes. We fly over uneven terrain. The magnetometer gets its best data if we can maintain the same altitude over the terrain. Drone Deploy does not have an altitude awareness option however Map Pilot does. Does anyone have any experience with Map Pilot and their terrain awareness add-on? Is it accurate? Any other options for maintaining altitude would be appreciated.

Its accurate as long as your over 40-50m above ground level - apart from that - only UGCS has a terrain model which is better - however its is a different league

UGCS is a powerful pc / Mac / unix based ground control system we use for mapping - (not USGS!!) - but flying at 100m should give you excellent response - we bought map pilot business (I think $39) which gave us all options and ongoing free of charge which worked well.

The next problem we have is we don't have a camera on our drone and it appears Map Pilot will not work if it can't connect to a camera. I imagine drone deploy is the same? Does anyone know a workaround for this?

I doubt it - remember with Map Pilot a lot of the processing of image requirements, is interlinked with the flight control to get the correct images, locations, etc - you cannot substitute the camera / lens combination for a 3rd party equipment, that would require a complete SDK and development to do that. The best I would have thought would be to put an X4 or so on the UAV and run that as mission and tag on your sensor separately, but then your data wouldn't match - I think your currently on a loosing battle on this one currently.

We basically just want to use Map Pilot as an autopilot for the drone. We don't require any images or processing. Is there other software out there that doesn't require a camera?

The next problem we have is we don't have a camera on our drone and it appears Map Pilot will not work if it can't connect to a camera. I imagine drone deploy is the same? Does anyone know a workaround for this?
You can use DJI's Ground Station Pro to control your M600 along flight lines. We do this on a regular basis with our M600 and a 3rd party camera. We don't use it for triggering the camera, just to control flight line spacing. I don't care for it as much as Map Pilot, but it will control the M600 along flight lines or waypoints without a camera.

Hi, UgCS has special tool - AreaScan - for missions without camera. You specify area boundaries, distance between lines, altitude - UgCS will do rest.

We also did special feature for towed magnetometer - you can specify overshot with reduced speed to prevent pendulum motion of magnetometer in turns.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
channelSale