Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

nasty experience with prop clips

Reaction score
2 weeks ago I took out the I2 (which is amazing) only to find that one of the prop clips had cracked for no apparent reason. I had no idea what to do, scared that I would have to send it back to China. (BAD!) But wait!, they are readily available on Amazon for a very reasonable price. (GOOD!) So here they came in a few days with no warnings or instructions whatsoever. But no big deal, I thought, just take out the 4 little screws and replace them. No way. They were put in with locktight and were not about ready to come out. Apparently, you are supposed to heat them up to remove them, but I had no way of knowing this so I proceeded to strip them and then I got out the old dremmel tool to try to carve them out. What a mess! (BAD). By the time I was done, enough crud had fallen into the motor that I had to buy a new one, even though I had covered the openings with tape. Fortunately I found to my amazement there was a drone shop in Garden City, Mich, which had the motor in stock and wasnt too far away. (Good). I guess if I had to do it again, I would try the heat method although I dont like getting the motor hot. If you ever have to do this, beware of locktight. I can see why DJI uses it since it is a critical area, but it can be a bear to get free.

2 weeks ago I took out the I2 (which is amazing) only to find that one of the prop clips had cracked for no apparent reason. I had no idea what to do, scared that I would have to send it back to China. (BAD!) But wait!, they are readily available on Amazon for a very reasonable price. (GOOD!) So here they came in a few days with no warnings or instructions whatsoever. But no big deal, I thought, just take out the 4 little screws and replace them. No way. They were put in with locktight and were not about ready to come out. Apparently, you are supposed to heat them up to remove them, but I had no way of knowing this so I proceeded to strip them and then I got out the old dremmel tool to try to carve them out. What a mess! (BAD). By the time I was done, enough crud had fallen into the motor that I had to buy a new one, even though I had covered the openings with tape. Fortunately I found to my amazement there was a drone shop in Garden City, Mich, which had the motor in stock and wasnt too far away. (Good). I guess if I had to do it again, I would try the heat method although I dont like getting the motor hot. If you ever have to do this, beware of locktight. I can see why DJI uses it since it is a critical area, but it can be a bear to get free.
Yep, that's nasty experience indeed. Pardon my frivolous comment, but this is why pilots shouldn't perform maintenance jobs. Hangar mechanics are qualified to do it instead. On the other hand ... bush pilots have no choice quite often :) ... Again, begging for forgiveness ...

Sorry to hear about this...not sure what caused the crack, but in case you were not aware, DJI does supply some spares of the prop mounts with every Inspire 2. They are one of those things that comes in a little bag or box you think you will probably never need (along with extra vibration dampers) so many times they just get set aside and forgotten about. But I am glad to hear you found them at a good price. As for worrying about heating up a brushless motor, in general they are really designed to be able to tolerate a decent amount of heat.

Best of luck to you with everything and if we can ever help with anything, just give us a shout.

I had a VERY similar experience while changing out the stock props and mounts in favor of the folding winglet type props - right down to getting out my Dremel moto-tool and having to cut away. I did, however, tape up all the vents on the motor assembly with tape before I started cutting. It took forever and was rather unnerving but in the end I got the job done and both my I2's now fly wonderfully with the newer props. It was worth it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arhaansheikh07