Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Non 107 rules in US

Reaction score
Website
goaerial.media
Can someone point me to the rules covering non 107/333 regulations for the hobbyist? I know it is community based standards and I am guessing that in the US that is the AMA?

Reason I am asking is a couple of hobbyist flout the rules by flying at night and/or Class B controlled airspace (100' max for us) and when asked about it, they just say different rules for us. I'd love to be able to help them along in their education without being confrontational by pointing to, oh you mean these rules/guidelines.

Thanks

Someone jumped on me regarding flying at "blue hour". Seeing the above post got me to do two things - read the definition of "night" (which is different than the phases of twilight and dusk) and the operational guidelines linked above. Blue hour falls within the period known as twilight. Night officially begins when the sun has fallen 18 degrees below the horizon.
Hope this helps.

From Wikipedia:

Sunset or sundown is the daily disappearance of the Sun below the horizon as a result of Earth's rotation. The Sun will set exactly due west at the equator on the spring and fall equinoxes, each of which occurs only once a year.

Subcategories of twilight
The time of sunset is defined in astronomy as the moment when the trailing edge of the Sun's disk disappears below the horizon. Near to the horizon, atmospheric refractioncauses the ray path of light from the Sun to be distorted to such an extent that geometrically the Sun's disk is already about one diameter below the horizon when a sunset is observed.

Sunset is distinct from twilight, which has three phases, the first being civil twilight, which begins once the Sun has disappeared below the horizon, and continues until it descends to 6 degrees below the horizon; the second phase is nautical twilight, between 6 and 12 degrees below the horizon; and the third is astronomical twilight, which is the period when the Sun is between 12 and 18 degrees below the horizon.[1] Dusk is at the very end of astronomical twilight, and is the darkest moment of twilight just before night.[2] Night occurs when the Sun reaches 18 degrees below the horizon and no longer illuminates the sky.

Locations north of the Arctic Circle and south of the Antarctic Circle experience no sunset or sunrise on at least one day of the year, when the polar day or the polar night persists continuously for 24 hours.

Sunset creates unique atmospheric conditions such as the often intense orange and red colors of the Sun and the surrounding sky.

Keep in mind it's not how Wiki defines night...it's how the FAA defines night, but that rule only applies to Part 107 Pilots and not hobbists.

If the most recent revision of the guidelines are a few years old then that is what you go by. I also teach AHA programs and guidelines for CPR change about every 5 years. Until the guidelines are actually changed and put into practice, the older guidelines are taught for uniformity.

Reactions: Fly Gary
If the most recent revision of the guidelines are a few years old then that is what you go by. I also teach AHA programs and guidelines for CPR change about every 5 years. Until the guidelines are actually changed and put into practice, the older guidelines are taught for uniformity.
Thanks Jeff Just what I was looking for.

Been looking into this question for a friend who flys recreational and want to fly within the rules. The problem is the FAA does not recognize the AMA as a “Community based organization “ or any other organization for that matter so their is the dilemma. So according to the FAA policy as it is right now, every single rec pilot is flying illegally. It’s the FAA’s “vicinity” of the airport type regulation. They need to get this worked out ASAP.

Been looking into this question for a friend who flys recreational and want to fly within the rules. The problem is the FAA does not recognize the AMA as a “Community based organization “ or any other organization for that matter so their is the dilemma. So according to the FAA policy as it is right now, every single rec pilot is flying illegally. It’s the FAA’s “vicinity” of the airport type regulation. They need to get this worked out ASAP.

That may explain why the FAA doesn't link to the AMA or what they consider the nationwide community. Maybe one of those double secret probation clauses. BTW Greetings from a few miles west down the 60.

I actually did hear today that the FAA and the AMA are In talks to hopefully figure all of this out for flying under recreational rules. I would suggest everyone consider a 107 as you’ll probably need one in some not to distant future.

Clearly there is no question that "Part 107 Certification Rules" prevent the pilot from night flight. Nowhere however will one find any rule whatsoever that prevents the "Hobbyist "pilot from doing so. That is an academic challenge for anyone who thinks that they can prove the statement to be incorrect. Flight in Class B airspace is authorized only upon having ATC clearance and applies to all.

Clearly there is no question that "Part 107 Certification Rules" prevent the pilot from night flight. Nowhere however will one find any rule whatsoever that prevents the "Hobbyist "pilot from doing so. That is an academic challenge for anyone who thinks that they can prove the statement to be incorrect. Flight in Class B airspace is authorized only upon having ATC clearance and applies to all.
This is absolutely correct. I fly professionally (see most recent Subaru “ blind guy” ad) and I have been an AMA member for 50 years. In fact there are products MADE for night flying.

Well theirs no doubt recreational flyers have been flying at night as long as I can remember. I did also when I was flying recreationally for years. It’s just the FAA says rec pilots need to belong to a community based organization and unfortunately the FAA doesn’t recognize a single community based organization and never have. At least not yet. That could be an issue if they wanted to press it but they haven’t in the past and most likely will not. Good news is they are finally sorting all of this out as they should.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegetour