Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Poker Table For Landing Pad?

Reaction score
I've been using a 5' round poker table for a landing pad for my f550- pretty handy, as it folds in half and has a handle to carry.

But, I'm purchasing an Inspire and have been reading about compass calibration, and worried about the metal legs of the table messing with the GPS.

Bad idea using the table?

Get a landing pad. Don't have to worry about drifting off the table on windy days. Got a cheap one on eBay works great
b49b45c1dbf8556d97f9aa9d5aa964ae.jpg
4c1897381af023c2aea835128e80b553.jpg

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Don't have to worry about drifting off the table on windy days.
ViJet, thank you for your reply, but if I can't hit a 5' target :eek:- I'm not flying that day!
What keeps the pad in place from the prop wash? I've seen pads with their perimeters weighted, but they are selling for over $100.

My table works great in function, but was wondering the effects, if any, of its metal legs on the Inspire's GPS/compass?

Thanks for any replies

I did a few take off today with a foldable table. I don't see any issue.
Thanks, ViJet!
I guess the main thing to keep in mind would be not to perform a compass calibration close to the table. And maybe not use GPS to land or take off. But I do love not having to work on the ground:D

Thanks, ViJet!
I guess the main thing to keep in mind would be not to perform a compass calibration close to the table. And maybe not use GPS to land or take off. But I do love not having to work on the ground:D
Not enough metal in the legs to affect your calibration.

Not enough metal in the legs to affect your calibration.

Metal has no effect on GPS signal reception .. it's the onboard magnetic compass that is sensitive to ferrous (iron) metal .. and would interfere with calibration ... I suspect the legs are aluminum, which would have no effect .. also, if you do the calibration away from the landing pad it wouldn't matter ...

Another suggestion, put a bubble level on the pad, so you're sure it is level when you turn the drone on .. as I believe it calibrates 'level' every time.

Metal has no effect on GPS signal reception .. it's the onboard magnetic compass that is sensitive to ferrous (iron) metal .. and would interfere with calibration ... I suspect the legs are aluminum, which would have no effect .. also, if you do the calibration away from the landing pad it wouldn't matter ...

Another suggestion, put a bubble level on the pad, so you're sure it is level when you turn the drone on .. as I believe it calibrates 'level' every time.

I Didn't say anything about the metal affecting the gps Initialization. Only said that it wouldn't affect the compass calibration.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stonecentreaus