Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Private estates and public footpaths

Reaction score
I have had a conversation about this with someone who was on my NQE Course about taking off and landing from public footpaths and dirt tracks, unfortunately it was at the end of the course and i didn't get a chance to follow it up with one of the lecturers.

What i would like to know is whether or not on a privately owned part of the countryside you can take off from a public footpath without any permission needed from the landowner in which the footpath passes through?

Thanks!

My understanding of footpaths is that they are a right of way (i.e. For travel purposes) so we can't go using them as TOLPs. In theory, you're not even supposed to stand around on a footpath for any length of time so don't expect any sympathy from an irate, anti-drone landowner whose land the path runs through.

From a PfCO perspective you do need permission from the landowner for all takeoff and landings, it is very clear. There is no provision in the Permission for exceptions. Sorry to burst your bubble but that's the law within your permit. Remember too that if you fly out side your PfCO your Aviation PL insurance will be invalid. At least it's a condition in mine that I fly within the CAA rules including my PFCO. My advice is keep yourself right and always get permission from the landowner. Trying to wiggle through the vagueness/precieved loopholes in the ANO does not do anything for your reputation as a responsible PfCO holder.

PfCO Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc