Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Propulsion output is limited..., questions

Reaction score
I´m still on 1.5 firmware (i1, x3) so i don't get these "propulsion output is limited...." messages.

I would preferably like to stay on my current firmware, but at the same time i want to ensure the safety of the craft (and of course the people below the craft).

Could i instead monitor the battery voltages and if it goes below say 3.5 V then i start to land, or at least hoover and see if the voltage rises?
Would that suggested procedure have the same effect as the "propulsion is limited..." procedure?

And by the way, does the voltage reading in the GO app turn red on firmware 1.5 when the voltage drops to a certain point, i can't remember that i have seen it in red color, but i could be wrong.

Do this particular message occur a lot when out flying, I've read some people have been getting the message a lot?

From my understanding... the propulsion output is limited message is based on the voltage to the battery while flying. I find when I fly hard I get this message when the voltages drops low. If you gradually go full throttle, I don't seem to see this message often. The reason DJI introduced this in the software was because quads were being reported falling out of the sky due to voltage drops.

From my understanding... the propulsion output is limited message is based on the voltage to the battery while flying. I find when I fly hard I get this message when the voltages drops low. If you gradually go full throttle, I don't seem to see this message often. The reason DJI introduced this in the software was because quads were being reported falling out of the sky due to voltage drops.

So is this a common thing that the Inspire 1 falls out from the sky, or is it a very limited problem? If they implemented the "propulsion output limited" thing i guess it must have happened not too infrequently, but at the same time i haven't heard too much about i1´s falling out of the sky?

I don't know if i should update or go the route with the Aux battery mod?

So is this a common thing that the Inspire 1 falls out from the sky, or is it a very limited problem? If they implemented the "propulsion output limited" thing i guess it must have happened not too infrequently, but at the same time i haven't heard too much about i1´s falling out of the sky?

I don't know if i should update or go the route with the Aux battery mod?

Not sure how frequently the quads fell from the sky from voltage drops... However, it did happen I believe in the early Inspire 1 models especially in the cold weather. People were just very aggressive with the Inspire 1 at a low %, causing the battery to shut itself off. I notice when I fly hard and reach 3.4-3.5v, the message appears slowing down the motor's. Not allowing the battery to shut itself off. Sort of sucks because the quad does slow down a slight bit, but at least it won't come crashing down lol. Up to you really, do whatever is best :)

Not sure how frequently the quads fell from the sky from voltage drops... However, it did happen I believe in the early Inspire 1 models especially in the cold weather. People were just very aggressive with the Inspire 1 at a low %, causing the battery to shut itself off. I notice when I fly and reach 3.4-3.5v, the message appears slowing down the motor's. Not allowing the battery to shut itself off. Sort of sucks because the quad does slow down a slight bit, but at least it won't come crashing down lol. Up to you really, do whatever is best :)

Okay, how much would you say the craft slows down, is it a considerable power loss and does it stay that way for a long time?
Also, about how many times in a flight would you say you are getting this message?

You are definitely correct about the cold weather, i have understood it impacts the battery pretty severely when the temperature becomes low enough.
I usually nowadays monitor the battery voltage and at 3.5 i start to land or at least hover and check so that the voltage rises.

How many times the message appears? Depends on the weather, and how hard you fly. Also how low the % is already. If it's windy and you're flying hard, it does stress out the battery. The TB47 and TB48 batteries aren't the best quality batteries out there :p.

As for speed goes, it's hard to notice to be honest. From what I have seen, it just slows down the motors to the point it's not reaching such high RPM's. Overall, you won't notice a speed difference unless you're very picky lol. I never had a problem with the speed. I'm glad the software slowly down the motor's for me so I don't lose my quad.

How many times the message appears? Depends on the weather, and how hard you fly. Also how low the % is already. If it's windy and you're flying hard, it does stress out the battery. The TB47 and TB48 batteries aren't the best quality batteries out there :p.

As for speed goes, it's hard to notice to be honest. From what I have seen, it just slows down the motors to the point it's not reaching such high RPM's. Overall, you won't notice a speed difference unless you're very picky lol. I never had a problem with the speed. I'm glad the software slowly down the motor's for me so I don't lose my quad.

Thanks, yes i must admit its a very useful function if it stops the i1 from falling out of the sky.

Maybe i was under the wrong impression but i thought the message comes up in the GO app all the time driving the pilots crazy, and that it also "all the time" reduces the power pretty significantly so that people feel their flight is hindered by this function. And that these things happens constantly?
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it happens like that only to those people who are normally pushing their i1´s hard?

So is this function the "Improved battery reliability when using the aircraft in cold environments" that are mentioned in the release notes for the 1.6 firmware update?

Can one still update the firmware the good old way through the .BIN file on the SD card, or must it be done through the GO app?
Since i guess if i do it through the GO app it will automatically install the latest firmware, but i have the different firmware versions saved as .BIN files so in that case i could choose to update not to the latest firmware version but to a version of my liking?

Thanks, yes i must admit its a very useful function if it stops the i1 from falling out of the sky.

Maybe i was under the wrong impression but i thought the message comes up in the GO app all the time driving the pilots crazy, and that it also "all the time" reduces the power pretty significantly so that people feel their flight is hindered by this function. And that these things happens constantly?
Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it happens like that only to those people who are normally pushing their i1´s hard?

So is this function the "Improved battery reliability when using the aircraft in cold environments" that are mentioned in the release notes for the 1.6 firmware update?

Can one still update the firmware the good old way through the .BIN file on the SD card, or must it be done through the GO app?
Since i guess if i do it through the GO app it will automatically install the latest firmware, but i have the different firmware versions saved as .BIN files so in that case i could choose to update not to the latest firmware version but to a version of my liking?

Yes you update the quad the old fashion way. Put the bin in the SD card and insert it into the camera. In cold temperatures, the Inspire 1 will warn you to warm up the battery to optimal temperature before flight. Usually I just hover in place for a minute or two until I get to 23 degree's celcius, then start flying.

The Propulsion output is limited only appears when it detects low voltage when flying. I notice it when I'm flying full throttle mostly, never when I fly around slowly. It doesn't appear all the time, even flying hard. I assume it also depends on the weather if there is wind affecting the quad as well—like I mentioned above. It's a shame these batteries are so expensive, but yet the quality to them isn't that great to keep up with power damage.

Okay, so it would be the same thing if i slow down the craft and hover or fly slowly when the voltage goes down to 3.50 V?
That would have the same effect as the propulsion output limited thing?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu