Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Question about editing software

Luke, as I mentioned above, ATI/AMD cards are not the best for video editing in premiere (and possibly other editors), because the GPU is not leveraged for playback. In order to take advantage of the Mercury Playback Engine in PP, you need an Nvidia card (with Cuda).

As I also said above though, I can still edit large high def files on an older Core 2 Quad with a Radeon, as long as I set the quality to at least 1/2. On my laptop with the Nvidia card, I can go higher.

umm ati video cards handle editing Just fine.. its Premiere that does not work with Ati well. FCPX, avid and others handle Ati just fine. also your other computer specs have to be decent not just crap computer with a video card u think is good.

at work we have 3 Mac pros with Dual d700 firepro Ati cards and they will run circles around Nvidia Cards anyday. Premiere is attempting to correct their ATI problem now.

Luke, as I mentioned above, ATI/AMD cards are not the best for video editing in premiere (and possibly other editors), because the GPU is not leveraged for playback. In order to take advantage of the Mercury Playback Engine in PP, you need an Nvidia card (with Cuda).

As I also said above though, I can still edit large high def files on an older Core 2 Quad with a Radeon, as long as I set the quality to at least 1/2. On my laptop with the Nvidia card, I can go higher.
What card would you recommend. with about $2-3 budget.
Thanks
Allan

umm ati video cards handle editing Just fine.. its Premiere that does not work with Ati well. FCPX, avid and others handle Ati just fine. also your other computer specs have to be decent not just crap computer with a video card u think is good.

at work we have 3 Mac pros with Dual d700 firepro Ati cards and they will run circles around Nvidia Cards anyday. Premiere is attempting to correct their ATI problem now.

Are you addressing me? If you are, then you completely mis-read my post.

What card would you recommend. with about $2-3 budget.
Thanks
Allan

I'm actually not up to date on the latest Nvidia cards, I've always been an ATI guy. Unless something changes with Premiere though, my next card would be Nvidia.

For that amount of cash, you should be able to get almost anything. But the big "pro" cards are probably overkill unless you're doing some serious CAD work or 3D rendering. A decent gaming card should be enough for most video editing, more RAM and faster Proc is better. Really depends on your editor too. My advice was based on Premiere. I'll never use FCPX.

Are you addressing me? If you are, then you completely mis-read my post.
i cant remember if i was commenting to you lol might have hit reply to wrong person. was just saying that ati is great for video editing, premiere on the other hand is the problem with ati for "them" fcpx and Avid run AMAZING on ati.

I was convinced I needed to upgrade my computer as I made a video in Premiere Pro CC with 30 clips and when I went to save it it just cranks using about 12 GB of RAM for a couple hours then stops with an unknown error. Tried it probably a dozen times deleting clips and trying various settings. Even 720p won't make it through. Then I put the same clips together in Windows Movie Maker with no lag in editing and it rendered no problem using only about 1 GB of RAM in the process.

Here are my computer specs: Dell Studio XPS 9100 (from 2011) i7 CPU 930 @2.8 GHZ, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB HD 7200 RPM, AMD Radeon HD 5670 1 GB. My question is: If I upgrade my video card to one on the Premiere Pro recommended list do you think things would work smoothly with this setup?

Oh, also tried a trial of Sony Vegas with similar results - made it through a few videos but results were bad. The output would only play in VLC without variable speeds, missing audio, and the editing was very slow - no previewing available to speak of.

Here's the video from Windows Movie Maker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oharac