Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Quick question: Props

Reaction score
Which are the good ones to get as replacements for the original I1 props? Isn't there some set that everyone tends to switch over to eventually? Could have sworn I read about them somewhere but can't find it.

Thanks!

DJI is recommending that Inspire 1 owners switch over to the Inspire 1 1345LS Propeller Mounting Plates that are compatible with the 1345T Quick Release Propellers.

These new mounting plates are very similar to the new Inspire 2 mounting plates. Before April 1, 2017 these Mounting Plates will be $7/pair, after that DJI will move them to $15/pair. The old mounting plates will then be discontinued.

Unfortunately we will not see these arriving in for about 2-3 weeks.

DJI is recommending that Inspire 1 owners switch over to the Inspire 1 1345LS Propeller Mounting Plates that are compatible with the 1345T Quick Release Propellers.

These new mounting plates are very similar to the new Inspire 2 mounting plates. Before April 1, 2017 these Mounting Plates will be $7/pair, after that DJI will move them to $15/pair. The old mounting plates will then be discontinued.

Unfortunately we will not see these arriving in for about 2-3 weeks.
I already ordered the 1345LS Mounting Plates from the DJI Store but I'll be also using the DJI 1360T High Altitude Quick Release Propeller Blades as I live and fly most of the year up at 8,000' and higher in the Rocky Mountains. According to DJI, if the X3 Gimbal and 3510H Motors such as are used on the Inspire 1 V2.0, Gain Adjustments are required.
The recommended Gain Values are: Pitch = 90*, Roll = 90* and Yaw = 90*

Sent from my VS995 using InspirePilots mobile app

I still have the old-school screw-on props and I just want to make sure I don't get the wrong stuff because I don't want to deal with all the hassle of buying the wrong bits for the thing.

So, what did I do?

Hit up DJI chat.

What an EPIC fail that was...

They basically just told me there's nothing that will work on mine, only stuff for the Inspire 1 V2, then sent me a link to that along with some goofy screenshot...then "hung up" on me.

Cool, huh?! lol

So...yea...you guys rock. Thanks for the help since God knows DJI is basically useless.

I like the old screw on props with a soft sticky back foam washer on the bottom of the prop that expands after securing the prop to the motor. This eliminates the need for the unsightly prop lock that DJI put out.
0a651fcb9c8ca3b6d756b2e03cc0c1c4.jpg

I will explain this so you can understand.
Once the soft foam is compressed after tightening, it expands as much as it can and expands into the screw holes on the base of the motor.
After tightening, it takes a little extra force to remove the prop because the rubbery foam sticks to the base of the motor, keeping the self tightening prop in place. I'll stand by this any day. You don't have to try it. Suit yourself. Just trying to help people understand why they come off in the first place. End of discussion.

Thank you. The reason the props come off is because the prop when tightened on the stud doesn't touch the base of the motor.
On all other quadcopters, the self tightening blades tighten up against the base which gives it something to tighten to. The blade needs that to remain tight.
If you look at the original design, there is a gap between the bottom of the prop and base of the motor. Even when tight, if the motor slows down quickly, the prop will loosen and come off. It's very simple really. The bottom of the prop with the sticky rubber foam fills the gap and won't let it come loose. I've tried and it won't loosen in normal flight.

Thank you. The reason the props come off is because the prop when tightened on the stud doesn't touch the base of the motor.
On all other quadcopters, the self tightening blades tighten up against the base which gives it something to tighten to. The blade needs that to remain tight.
If you look at the original design, there is a gap between the bottom of the prop and base of the motor. Even when tight, if the motor slows down quickly, the prop will loosen and come off. It's very simple really. The bottom of the prop with the sticky rubber foam fills the gap and won't let it come loose. I've tried and it won't loosen in normal flight.

I just can't see the benefit of adding/fitting a rubber washer every time, over simply snapping on the locks.
I like the look of them too. Even painted them bright orange so I can check they are (still) attached, even while flying, and they are easier to spot in the grass. The threaded props are actually safe enough without washers or locks, it's just that DJI doesn't trust their users (for good reason) in tightening them correctly. They don't spin off just like that when breaking quickly, if they are screwed on tightly like they should be.

The locks, combined with the metal threaded hubs, provide the best kind of security. They cost almost nothing and last a lifetime. Just don't lose them.

Reactions: The Editor
I do agree with you that when tightened properly they won't come off. As I have said, I have never had one come off ever. A lot of newbies out there just don't understand basic mechanics. The washer has adhesive on it so it stays on the prop. I just don't like the looks of the prop locks plus it should work the way it was designed to. I know I won't have any problems with it. But appreciate the input.

I'm not an engineer but this sounds hilariously wrong. The torque is applied onto the threads. I can't see the force of a foam washer doing anything significant in this context.

Combined with the the threads when you have the resistance of the base of the motor as well, the prop does not come loose. The prop in my opinion doesn't come loose as it is by tightening it. It's just an added safety measure is all. I've tested it repeatedly and never once came loose. Appreciate your input.

Think about it this way. If the motor were to stop cold turkey, the prop would naturally want to unwind from the threads with nothing between the base of the prop and the base of the motor. When you have a piece of rubber material between the base of the prop and the base of the motor, you will have resistance because the rubber will not let the prop unwind. Keep in mind that it is compressed as well.

Another way to look at it is take a piece of plastic and run it on a smooth piece of glass. It will slide easily. Now take a piece of rubber and do the same. The rubber sticks as you move it.

Anyway, with the prop locks the prop couldn't unwind even if it wouldn't be tightened.
It adds that extra security that the washer doesn't. With a washer the prop still needs to be securely wound on, which would at same time eliminate the need of the washer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris.thedude