Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Radio technology

Reaction score
Ok I have been wondering this... how is DJI getting such long distance out of their drones?
Let's say compared to a dx7 spectrum radio or any other "general" RC radio. They are using 2.4ghz/5.8ghz... so what makes them go so much farther?

Ok I have been wondering this... how is DJI getting such long distance out of their drones?
Let's say compared to a dx7 spectrum radio or any other "general" RC radio. They are using 2.4ghz/5.8ghz... so what makes them go so much farther?
5.8ghz is only used for the Master and Slave remotes to talk to each other so the range is at best 50 meters.
Possibly on the 2.4ghz they have rewritten some packet error ratio algorithms to be more efficient and improved the forward error correction coding.
We won't know for sure since it's locked down in proprietary encryption but obviously they have optimised the encoding/decoding and they would be regulated on how much rf power their equipment can radiate in any given country so that would be constant.

Much more bandwidth, most likely more efficient modulation, more sensitive receivers,...

RC radios are extremely basic from an RF point of view.

Ya that's what I was thinking Kilrah... radios are in a sense pretty "basic" freq and transmiting power etc are some of the key factors in radio distance, you only have so much bandwidth on any given freq... wavelength is a wavelength, transmitting power is transmitting power... you only have what you have... so I was just curious how they are getting these distances.... so I guess the points y'all made is how they are achieving these distances
and The editor I thought the inspire 2 would also transmit on the 5.8ghz freq to optizmize signal strength depending on the environment..? Is this not correct?

Ya that's what I was thinking Kilrah... radios are in a sense pretty "basic" freq and transmiting power etc are some of the key factors in radio distance, you only have so much bandwidth on any given freq... wavelength is a wavelength, transmitting power is transmitting power... you only have what you have... so I was just curious how they are getting these distances.... so I guess the points y'all made is how they are achieving these distances
and The editor I thought the inspire 2 would also transmit on the 5.8ghz freq to optizmize signal strength depending on the environment..? Is this not correct?
It does, it has spectrum hopping from 2.4 to 5.8ghz but I don't think you will never get 3 miles out of the 5.8 side (with stock omnidirectional dipoles). This is to give glitch free control/video within sensible (legal) distances which in the real world environments will be <500m.
It is a kind of 'fail safe' rf link.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen