Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Raw and Davinci resolve 14

Reaction score
holy cow guys! Resolve 14 the public beta is out and is so much better! It handles the raw files so much better. Unprocessed color files straight from the drone playback on my MacBook Pro 2016 is basically at 29.97 (the same fps as it was recorded). After adding a few color nodes the fps is still hi, about 24. Can't wait till final version is out.

Thanks! Downloading it and the PDF manual now.

More interesting is the price has come down to $299 where it used to be $999 (Windows and Mac). They show two versions: The $299 one doesn't have 3D effects and Fusion which I guess is their special effects add-on. The SPX and 3D Resolve 14 is $999.

Seems they are targeting Adobe with this claim:

No Monthly Cloud Licencing
Own DaVinci Resolve Studio for almost half the cost of a cloud subscription!
Unlike cloud based software, DaVinci Resolve Studio does not require a connection to the internet and there are no monthly subscription fees. Now you can get DaVinci Resolve Studio for only $299, which is 50% less than the cost of popular cloud subscriptions. Plus, you get full nonlinear editing, advanced color correction and a massive suite of new Fairlight audio tools, all included in the one easy to buy solution. It’s like getting 3 high end professional applications for the cost of one!

I like their consoles too, just pricey but they have a 3 roller toggle mini for I think $299 at B&H Photo.

Added:
PDF manual is almost 1300 pages! Ugh!

Last edited:
Hi Casey,

It looks like the standard version will remain Free. The Full Studio version is now $299.00.

The Beta is still buggy on the Windows side and is crashing frequently for me. It is working very well on the Mac side. Typical Beta stuff but I would not suggest this if your goal is to use it for immediate production.

Last edited:
Hi Casey,

It looks like the standard version will remain Free. The Full Studio version is now $299.00.

The Beta is still buggy on the Windows side and is crashing frequently for me. It is working very well on the Mac side. Typical Beta stuff but I would not suggest this if your goal is to use it for immediate production.

I just installed it on Windows 10-64x with a 1TB SSD card. It did overwrite the free 12.5 version though so no going back there unless I uninstall and reinstall 12.5. So far 14 hasn't crashed..yet. I have no sound to play with the new audio addition called Fairlight (?). The rendering seems a lot faster though, maybe 2x? I did a MOV to MPEG4 in Deliver which is way down in the Custom codec setting. I'm still a novice at using it though as it is pretty complex.

I'm surprised they dropped the price $700 down to $299. Lots of competition maybe.

Can't figure out what is different with the Free vs. the $299 one though. I get the Fusion 3d SPX additional for the $999, but don't know what the limitations are on the free version.

I have been using the older version (12.5) and downloaded the 14. Beta version last night. It downloaded just fine but when I go to open it the program starts the process and then hangs up, never opening. Tried it several times and the same results. Operating system is Windows 10. Went back to the older version (12.5) and all is well again. Guess there are a few bugs in the Windows Beta still.

I have been using the older version (12.5) and downloaded the 14. Beta version last night. It downloaded just fine but when I go to open it the program starts the process and then hangs up, never opening. Tried it several times and the same results. Operating system is Windows 10. Went back to the older version (12.5) and all is well again. Guess there are a few bugs in the Windows Beta still.

Yea I was unable to get that far. I get an error when installing the program (can not install resolve****.msi file in current location). Not sure why. Tried installing to another location to no avail. Anyone have this error?

Yea I was unable to get that far. I get an error when installing the program (can not install resolve****.msi file in current location). Not sure why. Tried installing to another location to no avail. Anyone have this error?

I installed 12.5 on my D drive (D:\Program Files) as my C was filling up. When I installed 14 it automatically went onto the C drive and erased much of 12.5 on the D drive in the process. However, it seems to work okay for me and launches well. I did a couple of MOV files and it seemed a lot faster and smoother even during the conversion to MPEG4. The C drive I have now is a 1 TB SSD so I had room for 14 as it was replacing a smaller 256GB SSD C drive. They seem to be really proud of the new sound editing setup.

Could it be some anti-virus you have that keeps it from installing? I only use the Windows Defender and nothing else (Windows 10-64x here.).

It is possible that my anti virus is what is causing the problem. I haven't had a chance to turn it off and try again but I will. I also wrote the folks at DaVinci and got a response to try a few other things and also get some diagnostics for them so I'll be working on that as well. My system is relatively new with Windows 10-64x, over 4 TB of memory, 64 gigs of RAM and 64 gigs of video processing and 3.5 megs processor so it works well with Adobe Premier as well as the earlier version of DaVinci.

I couldn't even use 12.5 because of the Opencl issue. I can't **** around with my work pc just to get video software to work. Shame, resolve looks great.

Hi Casey,

On my surface book with performance base, it hasn't crashed yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen