Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Reducing Jitter in Your Drone Footage

This is an article I wrote for photofocus. I hope this article gives you a starting place to reduce jitter/flicker, in your own footage.

Photofocus | Becoming a Better Drone Videographer: Reducing Jitter in Your Drone Footage
Your article is helpful but there is something else I am yet to discover that causes jitter. In all my video that shows moving vehicles they all jump/jitter with no smoothness at all. Yet on TV produced video fast or slow pans moving cars etc they are all smooth as silk. Don’t get it!

The article is good..but it brought out the math nerd in me. Shutter speed is HALF the frame rate...not twice. ;-)

Your article is helpful but there is something else I am yet to discover that causes jitter. In all my video that shows moving vehicles they all jump/jitter with no smoothness at all. Yet on TV produced video fast or slow pans moving cars etc they are all smooth as silk. Don’t get it!
Would you post and example with your camera settings and what lens you are using?

The article is good..but it brought out the math nerd in me. Shutter speed is HALF the frame rate...not twice. ;-)
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you or it is the way I am phasing it. In all the video work I have done and articles on it, if I am shooting at 30fps then my shutter speed will be 1/60 of a second, which is twice the frame rate. Maybe this quote says it better: As a rule of thumb, you want the denominator of your shutter speed to be approximately double the number of frames per second that you are recording. In other words, if you are recording at 30 frames per second, you want your shutter speed to be 1/60th of a second." from Sam Morrill in this article: Frame Rate Vs. Shutter Speed - Setting The Record Straight.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you or it is the way I am phasing it. In all the video work I have done and articles on it, if I am shooting at 30fps then my shutter speed will be 1/60 of a second, which is twice the frame rate. Maybe this quote says it better: As a rule of thumb, you want the denominator of your shutter speed to be approximately double the number of frames per second that you are recording. In other words, if you are recording at 30 frames per second, you want your shutter speed to be 1/60th of a second." from Sam Morrill in this article: Frame Rate Vs. Shutter Speed - Setting The Record Straight.
The number is 2x, but the actual time is 1/2. It all depends on what you're talking about. It's a silly distinction... we all know what you mean.

Reactions: CP Anson

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawsonlee