Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Security

Reaction score
I'm looking for advise on what I should do. And certainly what I should have done.

I was recently flying my i2 in town, at 11:00pm. In Angola Indiana there is a "round about" that was awesome getting 350' aerials of. All lit up nice.

Well I came in to land. I landed and was imediatly confronted by what I can only describe as a frantic "crack head" drug dealer.

So the i2 was on the ground idiling. (I think it is good for the motors to "cool down" correct me if I'm wrong) when this fool comes up on me. Good job for him on running this drone down. He was all sorts of out of breath.

Immediately he becomes hostile. Saying I was following him everywhere. I was just about to tell him what's up and he turns and kicks my i2 like he was punting one thru the uprights. I guess luckily, I always put the i2 facing away from me. So he punted the rear of the unit (thankfully he didn't kick the camera system) while the rotors are idiling.

The combination of staring at a bright screen going to looking at this fool in the dark had me not seeing the greatest. That combined with the shock and awe of getting my 4,000$ unit punted had me in a state of shock. No matter because that fool took off in the night like a cockroach in light.

One battery is destroyed. The hull has several scars now. Now when I put the front right (I think) prop on, you no longer need to slightly push down before caming it in. I'm real
Concerned with this. All props lock in well still. Just the one doesn't have any spring anymore.

So please. Let me know what I should do.
Let me know what I should have done.

I can't stop dreaming of blasting my fist thru his face and taring out his soul. Th only thing is I can think of is he was a crack head and a dealer. Everyone looks at him weird and it takes a drone flying over to flip him out.

One hand I guess I'm lucky I didn't do something stupid and kill the dude. Or vice versa. I'm a big guy. 6'23 brick layer. So I'm not exactly afraid I couldn't pound him.

I'm thinking about carrying some bear pepper spray. I don't wanna run the risk of really hurting the next fool. Or hurting myself. So a shot in the face with some bear grade mace may be the best option??

Not unlike drone flying in the Los Angeles Skidrow area at night. Anything at night there is asking for it. (Note: Not my footage or town.)

I don't know about bear spray. Might make them madder if you miss, turn combative, or if they are high it may have no effect at all. I wanted one of the collapsing police batons, but found they are illegal here. Dunno.

Last edited:
Sorry. Other than the hull damage, the lil air vents sitting right in front of the batteries has came "unglued" seems like it's glued in place (looks like a 2part item).

I just had it up for a test. It now will rotate very very slowly. And sometimes not stop rotating imediatly. All other flight seems just fine. Go4 throws up the error something to the effect of the vision system needs calibrated. When I get home from my 9-5 imma check again. I'll do more testing. I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

This happened the same day I got it back for a repair on replacing the camera sensor due to a soft landing. As of now I'm not 107 cert. so I also don't have insurance yet. So I'm totally beside myself now. My dji repair man isnt in till Tuesday if at all because of the 4th. Imma take it in and pay whatever to get it fixed.

Believe me. This is no LA. It's Angola. Indiana. If this happened to me, in Angola Indiana. Wow. I can't be that unlucky right? Am I just stupid for doing night flights in town? Wake me up!!

I have never let my motors cool down and do not see a need for it. I land and get it out of the road and back in my air-conditioned vehicle when possible ASAP. If you would have done that you might not be writing this post. As for your personal protection, that is probably not a topic that is appropriate for this forum. I am pretty sure you can get hull insurance without being 107 certified.

It's my understanding to get insurance on a drone you have to show your making money with it. Which means a part 107. Any other info?

It's my understanding to get insurance on a drone you have to show your making money with it. Which means a part 107. Any other info?

Just google 'state farm drone' and be amazed at all the people getting insurance without a 107 :)

... as long as they live outside CA...

Just google 'state farm drone' and be amazed at all the people getting insurance without a 107 :)

... as long as they live outside CA...

Thank you. I've looked into it and have been told by a few agencies I'd have to be 107 licensed. YOUR 2 cents helped me out greatly. Too bad sancap didnt want to help Me out. Not good for the "community"

1st You should file a police report. There are laws against property damage. It's really no difference than if someone were to come up to your car and kick the side in, except it would be cheaper to fix your car. :( and in some places it may be considered assault.

It may be time to start thinking about personal protection when doing night shots nowadays.. :(

This brings up an interesting question since it is considered a federal crime to shoot down a drone, is it still considered a federal offense to destroy one on the ground? If so, you can report it to the FBI as well as local. If the guy is homeless, of course it won't accomplish anything, but if taken seriously, the guy might be tracked down and forced to pay for the damage.

Last edited:
1st You should file a police report. There are laws against property damage. It's really no difference than if someone were to come up to your car and kick the side in, except it would be cheaper to fix your car. :( and in some places it may be considered assault.

It may be time to start thinking about personal protection when doing night shots nowadays.. :(

This brings up an interesting question since it is considered a federal crime to shoot down a drone, is it still considered a federal offense to destroy one on the ground? If so, you can report it to the FBI as well as local. If the guy is homeless, of course it won't accomplish anything, but if taken seriously, the guy might be tracked down and forced to pay for the damage.

Your input here is very much appreciated. Thank you for taking your time to reply. I should have reported it. No doubt that was not a smart thing to not do. Real foolish of me actually. Was in great shock. Twas like a movie really.

I've also wondered if it's a fed offense if it's on the ground. The props were still idling. I'm looking at a taser, police baton and bear spray. I'm not afraid of a physical confrontation. But I also can accept o could get bested and end up with everything stolen.

Best practice is just to be able to talk it out without physical violence. That was in no way possible in my case. Although he was exhausted from running down the i2, I fear of Gettin shanked with a rusty butter knife too. It was 11:30pm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irene