Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Staking an Inspire 2 down.

Have you tried the GeoFence in GS Pro? I would go that route before tethering a drone that is not made to be tethered. The tethering plan has "bad idea" written all over it, IMO.

Agreed.
As I said in post #6 - if you do not understand what integral wind up is in a closed loop feedback system or how flight controllers work to stabilize a multi rotor airframe then don't tether your aircraft.

I need to fly near a place but people are present so I don't want to cross the invisible line in the sand near them. Only about 40-50 feet up for the entire battery run time in interval still photo mode with a 45mm lens for added distance.

I was thinking about tying a 50 pound pull nylon braided fish line to one arm and staking it down with a tent stake so it couldn't cross over them in case of some pilot or equipment error. Maybe tying to two arms which would keep it from going side-to-side too.

Don't know if it would tangle in the blades, but if it were a heavy enough line it might be blown underneath and not pose any flying issues? Also thought about a heavier brass wire maybe 3 feet long and tying the nylon braided line to that. Might keep it hanging down better and less likely to tangle than a braided fish line.

Ideas?
The Vertical Studio app has the ability to draw virtual walls. I use it when I want to avoid tree lines, etc.

The FAA rule making document noted that tethering a UAS does not change the operating category. So basically, from a legal standpoint, you can't tether a drone to get around the rules.

The FAA rule making document noted that tethering a UAS does not change the operating category. So basically, from a legal standpoint, you can't tether a drone to get around the rules.

CNN tethered to get their "Over people's heads" with the Fotokite Pro for their waiver. On set, director demands something be tethered for safety along with clearance stipulations, you do it or go home.

CNN's waiver for overhead flights and speeds, etc: https://www.faa.gov/uas/request_waiver/waivers_granted/media/107W-2016-00001A_CNN_CoW.pdf

My thoughts are that drones attract real birds and if a real bird flies under your Inspire to get a closer look and entangled itself, you'd have an issue beyond your control

Just my opinion

Why not set max distance to a value so it can't get to the people, that way you have some limits in place so you can't inadvertently go over the people.

I would also say if you aren't comfortable with your equipment /skills you are better off saving the project for when you have more experience.

Why not set max distance to a value so it can't get to the people, that way you have some limits in place so you can't inadvertently go over the people.

I would also say if you aren't comfortable with your equipment /skills you are better off saving the project for when you have more experience.

See #25 above. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but DJI gear is not that good nor dependable, imho, and seems to be getting worse with each update. Notice anyone having issues with their firmware or GO 4 lately? How about RC boxes that shut off partially like mine does? Ground Control Pro crashing out? Overheating tablets? Shaking or unstable while hovering? Litchi issues lately too? Forced landings anywhere due to NFZ occurring after takeoff? I can understand why the director says to "Stake it, or go home!" - regardless of one's skills. If this stuff was 100% reliable, I doubt if anyone would care, but it isn't reliable and likely why the FAA probably disallows a lot of stuff too unless staked by sundry means.

See #25 above. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but DJI gear is not that good nor dependable, imho, and seems to be getting worse with each update. Notice anyone having issues with their firmware or GO 4 lately? How about RC boxes that shut off partially like mine does? Ground Control Pro crashing out? Overheating tablets? Shaking or unstable while hovering? Litchi issues lately too? Forced landings anywhere due to NFZ occurring after takeoff? I can understand why the director says to "Stake it, or go home!" - regardless of one's skills. If this stuff was 100% reliable, I doubt if anyone would care, but it isn't reliable and likely why the FAA probably disallows a lot of stuff too unless staked by sundry means.

No such thing as 100% reliable. I would side on the go home. If you want to stake it there are lots of other options out there that would be better suited if you need that kind of assurances.

Reactions: Casey53
Would it be possible for you to post an image before so we can have an idea of what you need to photography/video? I could be wrong but I think you are maybe overthinking this just a bit. If you've been flying for a while and I will assume you have been, then putting the drone in tripod mode and walking in slowly would prevent large directional changes and you can plan an escape route out and way from people. Just a thought.

i have a technocrane 30 in my warehouse :)
Hungary :) - europe :D
also two stabilized heads to choose from :p

Lucky you! :)

They are going back to the reliable, safer, and 'much quieter' crane. Seems the drone is not appreciated by the audio foley heads union group (e.g. "Quiet on the set! What is that d*mn 'weeee' noise I'm hearing?"). Can't say I blame them, given the circumstances. Cranes in movies ain't dead yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu