Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK The dreaded "congested area"

The CAA graph is all well and good but the closer one is to building the less kinetic energy if things go wrong.
A inspire falling on a roof from 50m will do far more damage than one from 10m plus the one from 50m+ will have the potential of damage over a greater area rather than hitting the roof and falling near the building.

Right parachute isn't required ;)

A quad has less chance of getting past the OSC, you loose one prop / motor / esc your down. Off the shelf aircraft are not ideal for the OSC...

The OSC is not all about the aircraft, it's probably twice as much or more about how you will operate.

Tethers are an issue personnely I consider them bad but I can see why some like them. But if you can fly in manual or atti mode why tether it? You restrict yourself. If it try's to fly away to will hit line limit and then what ?

Last edited:
I know you were not taking a pop at my skill as a pilot.. My point is, part of the risk of a UAVs over congested area are flyaways etc. If one could create a case where our machines have parachutes, which would almost negate the kinetic energy if the fall, plus tether them to avoid flyaways the CAA should look into flying at close proximity in build up areas.

The annoying thing is, that having spoken directly to the CAA and told them exactly what I intended to do on numerous occasion and being in a class full of pupils at Eurousc, most of them needing to fly in congested areas, at no point has anyone say you have not got a cats chance in hell of flying at close proximity.
There seems to be no common sense or practical reasoning to the legislation.

My OSC is some way from being completed but I'll let you know how I get on. It will have a bunch of scenarios for volume 3 and I'll tailor my settings and flight profile accordingly. It'd be nice to hear from some of the guys who already have an enhanced permission (without giving too much away!).

Okay so parachutes are not a requirement but they add weight now I do know of someone with an OSC and they choose wether it's required. Now on the inspire / phantom you have no remote trigger for it and the extra weight / modification you need to document it. How will the extra weight effect the aircraft ?

Now the chute as your aware is just to slow the aircraft down not to save it.

Pilot skills... I can say this while we can all fly, my flying has not always been amazing nor can I say I've never crashed. Fact ;)

Now the CAA do take into account extra things

But OSC you'll have around 100 pages and that's not including the aircraft stuff!!

Does a phantom need an OSC, I know a few guys with PFAW using them in congested areas for surveying and when they contact ATC prior to the fights they have no problems.

Does a phantom need an OSC, I know a few guys with PFAW using them in congested areas for surveying and when they contact ATC prior to the fights they have no problems.

Yes if your within 50m of things NOT under your control

ATC means your being nice to let them know your in the area only

ATC does not give you permission to over fly over what you want at anytime that's not down to them.

So you can fly in a street for example if you let everyone within 50m know your operating there.

But the road how will you control it ?

Road closure / temp traffic control = council and money

I've actually flown in London on a TV shoot we had road closure but it was crazy racing down a road... With an inspire as well ;)

Reactions: Nigel Payton-miles
The annoying thing is, that having spoken directly to the CAA and told them exactly what I intended to do on numerous occasion and being in a class full of pupils at Eurousc, most of them needing to fly in congested areas, at no point has anyone say you have not got a cats chance in hell of flying at close proximity.
There seems to be no common sense or practical reasoning to the legislation.

There is someone with a 10m pfaw, but that's a big machine as well around 20kilos in the air.

So it can be done, with the right gear and manual ;)

Yea I've met Angus briefly

There are around 12 OSC holders maybe 20 max...

Most are at 30 meters though

There is someone with a 10m pfaw, but that's a big machine as well around 20kilos in the air.

So it can be done, with the right gear and manual ;)
Yup - the guys over in Covent Garden have blanket 10m. They are all ex RAF and it took them 18 months to get it. They mop up everything in central London though not surprisingly !

Yup - the guys over in Covent Garden have blanket 10m. They are all ex RAF and it took them 18 months to get it. They mop up everything in central London though not surprisingly !

No they don't get it all that means there's 2 out there with 10meters then. 18 months well that's got to of been interesting but their not the 1st then ;)

Yea I've met Angus briefly

There are around 12 OSC holders maybe 20 max...

Most are at 30 meters though
You also have to question whether 30m is worth the effort since standard permissions allow for 30m during take off and landing and...... a lot can be done when you're 'taking off and landing' ;)

Mostly straight up or down but getting 20m closer to what your filming makes a big difference with some nice lenses ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nylebrown77