Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

The new SLR Magic 8mm on the Inspire & Osmo! Shot all in Raw

can you provide a link on where on can buy this lens?
any recommondations?
(if the mods allow :) )
could you provide an external link if you do not mind, as i would like to show this a friend of mine but can not share it with my iphone.
nice shot btw
thx and cheers
m

Last edited:
I got mine direct from SLR Magic. However there numerous places online where you can purchase them now.

Very nice work, what did you add to balance the lens besides the filter? Is the lens fixed focus?? How did you get it so sharp throughout all the takes I understand it's manual non automated

Very nice work, what did you add to balance the lens besides the filter? Is the lens fixed focus?? How did you get it so sharp throughout all the takes I understand it's manual non automated
SLR Magic sent me the Image Enhancer Pro Filter which definitely helped in balancing the unit as the lens itself is pretty light. I also sometimes put my B+W ND filter on as well for even more pinpoint solid balancing.

Interesting lens. B&H Photo shows it for $299.

B&H also shows this in the overview section: "Front thread for 43mm accessories, such as an optional lens hood or the included 52mm filter adapter. Due to the design of the front element, this lens will not directly accept 43mm filters, and requires the use of the included 52mm filter adapter."

how would one use the lens when there is a sudden change of light? - clouds for eg?
i am guessing about focus set to infinty right?

how would one use the lens when there is a sudden change of light? - clouds for eg?
i am guessing about focus set to infinty right?

I'm guessing it would act just like a fixed lens with no aperture and preset hyperfocal distance for infinity as on a Phantom P4, etc. Just change ISO or shutter speed, or add a ND filter if out of range.

Reactions: Phatzo
A B&H reviews shows 2 issues with the X5/X5R.
- lens doesn't lock with the button, it just twists on & off
- get an error "can't detect lens"
Not sure how big these issues are in practice
Haven't noticed the non-locking problem, will have a check. On the "no lens detected" you just carefully hot-swap after having a standard lens in. It all seems to work OK.

Ok thanks, so you can set for example Aperture Priority and adjust aperture? and you can set ISO and the shutter speed of course is controlled in the camera.
And of course you can add ND filters if necessary to help control shutter speed. The aperture is completely stepless across its range.

Last edited:
May be flying tomorrow if the rain holds off, if I do I'll try to put it on and check it out between flights. Because there is no lens detected you may need to set everything with the "legitimate" lens before swapping. Hasn't been a problem when I've used it so far.

OK - it's still raining here but I've checked it on the bird indoors. Hot swap required - app will continue to show "no lens detected" but you will know better from the fact that you have a lovely picture in front of you! The shutter speed and ISO settings continue to function. The aperture will display the last setting you had on the previous electronic lens but again, this can be ignored since you now have digital control (in the true sense of the word - using your digits rather than software!). If you don't like shooting in manual or aperture priority modes then this probably isn't the lens for you!

I just received the lens from B&H and ordered it with a Hoya ND filter they recommended, however I still have not achieved balance, the lens is "looking up"at maybe 45 degrees. Is there a lens hood available for this lens that could possibly get it to the right weight or can I use it as is without damage to the gimbal??

I just received the lens from B&H and ordered it with a Hoya ND filter they recommended, however I still have not achieved balance, the lens is "looking up"at maybe 45 degrees. Is there a lens hood available for this lens that could possibly get it to the right weight or can I use it as is without damage to the gimbal??
Not as chance I'm afraid. Even an additional filter will cause vignettes with this lens. I always have a carefully calibrated piece of blu-tac with me which I carefully wrap around the front of the lens. Make sure it is well stuck on and work on the top of the lens to avoid gravity helping it come off.

Reactions: Mixchief
Not as chance I'm afraid. Even an additional filter will cause vignettes with this lens. I always have a carefully calibrated piece of blu-tac with me which I carefully wrap around the front of the lens. Make sure it is well stuck on and work on the top of the lens to avoid gravity helping it come off.
pics possible so I get a clear image? I was thinking of some solder or something of the sort on the outer rim of the ND filter, or lead crazy glued, thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalyst