Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Would you like to see Tripod mode on the Inspire

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

D-J

Reaction score
Watching footage of the Mavic flying under Tripod mode, I was wondering if this can be setup on the Inspire and saved as a 'custom' configuration for relatively easy switching over too.

The first part of the challenge is to limit the flight speed and the sensitivity of the input controls. Does anyone really understand these settings and mind sharing what is needed.

The second part is to find a way of spacing these settings so they can fairly easily be switched to and back again.

I guessing the easiest route would be if DJI added this feature to the DJI Go App, but I won't be holding my breadth on this one.

Would be great to hear your ideas.

Dominic

I have to agree, this is a brilliant feature to have. I frequently have times where I need absolute precision in flight at almost crawl speed, and on the inspire this would be fantastic. I would imagine its a feature that will be part of the inspire 2 though.

The Inspire has the ability to store several custom setting. Just set up those settings as one of the custom ones and switch between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When doing precision low-altitude close-in, dolly-shot type of precision maneuvers, I've had to jam the EXP sensitivity curves down to 0.2, jam all the stick sensitivity gain down as far as it will go, and extend the length of the sticks. Even so, it requires a LOT of pilot modulation and over-correcting, the Inspire is just a very powerful machine. What I wish they would do is just add a "max yaw-plane speed" to go alongside the "max ascent rate" in the DJI Go app. This would be a lot like a more "customizable" Tripod mode... say I was flying a shoot in a hotel lobby doing an orbit around a statue, maybe I want that speed really down to 0.5 MPH. Also, that would be a LOT safer because by running down the EXP and stick Gains all the way, if you're flying p-ATTI in windy conditions with those stick settings you could uncontrollably drift and not be able to recover without really oversteering the sticks, which is very hard to control, or immediate abut the shot and go into p-GPS (assuming you had good GPS coverage).

The most basic autopilots for real airplanes just try to keep heading, altitude, turn rate, vertical speed rate.

I always thought the rc controller should have small dials to control that, just like the decades old simple aircraft autopilots.

That way you don't need to try and hold small sticks with submilimiter precision to keep v/s and turn rates reasonably constant, etc.

Reactions: William Gaddy
The most basic autopilots for real airplanes just try to keep heading, altitude, turn rate, vertical speed rate.

I always thought the rc controller should have small dials to control that, just like the decades old simple aircraft autopilots.

That way you don't need to try and hold small sticks with submilimiter precision to keep v/s and turn rates reasonably constant, etc.
Yes... this. ^^^^^

DJI Controllers need "trim wheels" like a Cessna ...

Yes... this. ^^^^^

DJI Controllers need "trim wheels" like a Cessna ...

I've been flying highly aerobatic R/C planes and helis for over 20 years. All my controllers have trims for each axis just below or to the side of each stick for just that reason.

These Drones don't need trimming so they eliminate the controls I would think for simplicity and avoid new operator confusion. It would be nice to have the option though for experienced pilots to be able to purchase a controller with extra buttons and knows etc..

Because of my experience with R/C, I don't have any problems with micro contouring the bird. Personally I wouldn't want ANY setting that would restrict maneuverability in case you have to move the bird quickly in an emergency situation. Expo curves are your best way to go.

Reactions: The Editor
D-J, have u checked out Autoflight Logic Autopilot? Not quite sure what yr trying to do but Autopilot has a very powerful setup, flight planning and camera control and allows u to save and apply to a different location

D-J, have u checked out Autoflight Logic Autopilot? Not quite sure what yr trying to do but Autopilot has a very powerful setup, flight planning and camera control and allows u to save and apply to a different location

Presume for the moment I'm flying indoors (hotel lobby, as I posited above), so no GPS, strictly p-ATTI, and I want to do an orbit around a central feature. How does Autopilot work in such a circumstance? Does it rely on the DJI optical flow module and the microaltimeter for path control, or does it need GPS?

Presume for the moment I'm flying indoors (hotel lobby, as I posited above), so no GPS, strictly p-ATTI, and I want to do an orbit around a central feature. How does Autopilot work in such a circumstance? Does it rely on the DJI optical flow module and the microaltimeter for path control, or does it need GPS?

My second item on a wishlist (after trim wheels) would be dead reckoning capability, even for long range, as I don't like the reliance upon GPS.

While we don't have trim wheels on the controllers, what do you think about Lidar?

I've checked your website, very impressive resumé, congrats. In case you are in a position to hack the drone and develop some new ways to control it, there is this little Lidar sensor that could be useful for situations like the one you described.

The sensor takes 500 readings per second, scans at a range of up 40 meters, has a resolution of 1 cm, and +/- 2.5 cm accuracy.

Garmin Resurrects the Dirt-Cheap LiDAR: LiDAR-Lite V3 Will Cost $150 | SPAR 3D

@Eduardo --

Never even knew this existed. If I could hit the like button 10 times on your post I would :)

My mental gears are spinning fast -- Arduino payload, small LIDAR camera, I could imagine all *KINDS* of fun stuff you could do with this on an Inspire or Disco, or other platform...

*Awesome* find, thank you for sharing!

Cheers

Reactions: Eduardo
William, I haven't tried it indoors in fact I havent even flown my Inspire indoors. Autoflight support is very good, they would answer your question quite quickly. [email protected]. Im guessing its not a good a idea because indoors you really need to control the UAV very accurately to avoid hitting anything. Autopilot is good for a few feet but probably not good enough for inside. The accuracy depends on your Tablet (or phone) on the RC having exactly the same understanding of position as whatever the Inspire uses (either GPS or visual/ultra sonic sensor). Lots of interferences inside. I have tried using OSMO with Autoframe (an adaptation of Autopilot) inside and it does work.

@Eduardo --

Never even knew this existed. If I could hit the like button 10 times on your post I would :)

My mental gears are spinning fast -- Arduino payload, small LIDAR camera, I could imagine all *KINDS* of fun stuff you could do with this on an Inspire or Disco, or other platform...

*Awesome* find, thank you for sharing!

Cheers

Always had many ideas to mix things up, usually lacked the know-how to put into practice, glad to help someone who can make it happen.

I'm a former airline pilot and we used a lot of Doppler navigation (similar to the sonar sensor on the Inspire), it was very precise and no GPS required.

Anytime you feel some ideas could be useful, just be in touch (by the way, very interested about VR, AR and anything 3D).

Cheers

Always had many ideas to mix things up, usually lacked the know-how to put into practice, glad to help someone who can make it happen.

I'm a former airline pilot and we used a lot of Doppler navigation (similar to the sonar sensor on the Inspire), it was very precise and no GPS required.

Anytime you feel some ideas could be useful, just be in touch (by the way, very interested about VR, AR and anything 3D).

Cheers

PM me. Where are you located? We're putting together quite a package with backend software and the like. Would love to pick your brain :)

Cheers

-WG

This is the sole feature that I love about my Solo. You can slow the performance down to a crawl then raise it again - all with the slide of an option selection in the software. I assume TriPod mode is the same - it simply slows down all the controls of the quad.

So do people think that Tripod mode is a viable option that could be added to something like Litchi if its not added to Dji GO ap? I have to say, using it today on the Mavic is simply brilliant. such a simple idea, but so so good. This is actually a feature that would really make a huge difference for me on the Inspire. Especially when using the 45mm Lens for certain cinematic shots.

Reactions: andrew259

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamwalker4963