Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Tutorial for using battery in extreme cold conditions

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Discussion' started by Aeoutsider, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Aeoutsider

Resource with professional pilots from DJI Studio talking about batteries usage in extreme cold conditions
    DJI Forum|Using batteries in the cold weather

All we know that batteries used in DJIaircraft are Li-Po batteries. Li-Po stands for Lithium-Polymer, which means it allows us to withdraw a lot of power out of small battery pack.
    Basic knowledge:
    1. Full charge your battery before each flight.
    2. Never overdischarge your battery
    3. Cycle the battery by discharging to 8% and full charging again every 20 flights
    4. Intelligent flight batteries can automatically discharge themselves to enter storage mode
    5. Discharge time depends on users settings and takes from 1 to 10 days
    Alright, let’s get back to our topic. Since Li-Po batteries are not made to fly below 0 degree C︒ battery performance can be not as good as in a normal temperature 5C︒ to 30C︒
    Low temperature flight negative consequences:
    1. Shorten flight time
    2. Fast voltage drop
    Ways to prevent the issues described up there:
    1. Never store packs in cold
    2. Start the motors but don’t fly up, let your bird to warm up for a minute.
    3. Please keep the aircraft hovering for 30 to 60 seconds before taking further action.
    4. Do not keep the aircraft fully accelerated for long time.
    5. Be gentle on a RC sticks
    6. Outdoors keep your batteries in thermal insulation box with bag of hot rice
    (Uncooked rice warmed up in a microwave keeps temperature very good)
    7. Inspire owners can use the battery insulation stickers
    [​IMG]
    8. Inspire owners also can use a battery heater to pre-heat their batteries before the flight.

[​IMG]

2. Joola

All good advice. I'm headed to the mountains for Thanksgiving so cold weather tips are welcome.

ted35 likes this.
  3. ovisopa

The original stikers didn't helped me too much in the past weeks as in the morning when I was flying at -4 I needed the protection but in the evening when filming the sunset it was too hot for them, I had them mounted for one day and then I made my self something that can be easily removed or applied when needed. I will make some photos soon.

But I have another problem in cold whether and I curious if you guys have it too, my iPad battery drops like crazy in cold (for example at -4 degree C it dropped from 80% to 5% in one flight, I believe the aluminium backside of the iPad doesn't help at all in cold weather )

4. Marketal

I have an iPad mini 4 in a beetle defense case. Cold doesn't seem to affect it much.

Marketal

5. ovisopa

I received a plastic back case with a front cover, if I flip the cover on the back it still can be mounted on th DJI stand, so far looks good, hope it will protect the iPad in cold.

Attached Files:

6. Airtech Inspect

Any progress on the removable pads? I was thinking maybe a wetsuit like material sleeve for the iPad might keep it a little better insulated

7. ovisopa

You're interested also on the battery pads ? :) This week I've been quite busy making some videos with the Osmo and Inspire and also, I finally got my drone registered, not that easy in Romania, I had to drive to the capital so they install a tiny chip inside it... but my brother told me he will finish the better looking model on monday :)