Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Update OSMO firmware but not I1 - Will X3 still work

Reaction score
Short explanation:

Is somebody using his white Inspire 1 X3 camera with his Inspire 1 and has an older firmware on the I1 and at the same time is using the same white X3 camera with an OSMO handle that has the latest firmware?

Is that working fine? I would really appreciate an answer. Surely somebody must have this setup.
.....................................................................................................

I want to update the OSMO firmware to the latest one, but i don't want to update my I1 firmware which right now is on 1.5.
Will i still be able to use the X3 camera on my Inspire 1 after i have updated the OSMO with the X3 camera attached to it?

I asked DJI about this and they didn't give me an answer on that but they said that when i update the OSMO with the X3 attached to it the recording time will automatically be reduced to 30 minutes even on the Inspire 1 even though i use an older Inspire 1 firmware (1.5), can this really be correct, since i guess its not the X3 that gets updated but the OSMO handle, or am i wrong?

Firstly i wonder if i must have the latest 1.7 firmware on the Inspire 1 to use the X3 camera with the Inspire 1 after i have updated the OSMO with the X3 attached to it.

And secondly i wonder if the recording time is reduced to 30 minutes on the I1 as well even though i use an older I1 firmware (after the X3 been attached to the OSMO while the OSMO was upgraded with the latest firmware)?
I know the bird cannot fly 30 minutes anyway, but i was mostly just curious if what DJI stated is correct?

Last edited:
I have been moving my X3 between the OSMO and I1 without any problems. I have the latest firmware for both installed. DJI has brought the latest features from the most recent beta programmes into one common camera update.

Thanks, yes but you have the latest firmware for both installed, i have an older firmware on my Inspire 1 (1.5), so thats why i wonder if it will work?

I guess there must be some people on this forum having the latest firmware on their OSMO but an older firmware on their Inspire 1?
I would appreciate if someone with this setup wanted to answer my question so that i know if i can move forward with my update or not?

And does the latest OSMO firmware update the handle or the X3 camera?

Reactions: Hovershotz
Certainly both. The handle likely has some changes for things like being able to turn the WiFi off, but the rest like the time limit, zoom, fan control would likely be handled in the camera itself.

I would like most either stay on all current versions or update everything.

I would be very cautious about working with such diverse firmware loads. DJI has been working to ensure that all software (I1, P3, OSMO and now P4) move forward together on a common development line. If you have reasons not to be at the cutting edge you should 'freeze' all your firmware at that standard. From my personal perspective, I am at the latest standards (and beyond) for I1/X3/X5 and OSMO. I have no issues.

Reactions: slim.slamma
Well I'm pretty happy with the 1.5 Inspire 1 firmware, and in my opinion it feels like the firmware updates are bringing more bad stuff than good stuff to the I1, its also the risk of bricking the bird with all these new firmwares.
And DJI seems to have very unstable firmwares that seems to be Russian roulette to update the birds with.
It feels like in the firmware updates they are announcing new functions etc. that suppose to make the drones better. But that the real reason for the firmware updates is to implement limitations and functions that are not making the birds better, rather inferior.

So thats why i would like to stay on 1.5 if that is possible, but when it comes to the latest OSMO update i feel it is bringing more good than bad stuff to the table.

Still nobody that has updated to the latest OSMO firmware (1.7) with its white I1 camera / gimbal attached to the handle, and then using the same white X3 camera on its Inspire 1 that has an older firmware on the Inspire 1 (maybe 1.5)?

It would be nice to hear from somebody that has actually been able to use it that way.

I sent the question to DJI and according to them it should be possibly if i understood their email correct, but i´m not sure they know what they talk about many times, or maybe they didn't understood my question?

I try to bump this question again.

Is somebody using his white Inspire 1 X3 camera with his Inspire 1 and has an older firmware on the I1 and at the same time is using the same white X3 camera with an OSMO handle that has the latest firmware?

Is that working fine? I would really appreciate an answer. Surely somebody must have this setup.
You are answering your own question. DJI has been updating the OSMO, X3 and Inspire 1 firmwave together to ensure they are conpatible. It is pointless not to maintain a common standard across all your devices. The latest firmware for each do work well together and their is no need to hold back. I can not tell what the implications you will experience if you don't update all in line.

You are answering your own question. DJI has been updating the OSMO, X3 and Inspire 1 firmwave together to ensure they are conpatible. It is pointless not to maintain a common standard across all your devices. The latest firmware for each do work well together and their is no need to hold back. I can not tell what the implications you will experience if you don't update all in line.

Actually i don't think that i am answering my own question, not even a bit. I think there is as big chance that it would work as the chance of it not working.
And as i have explained earlier i do consider that there is a reason to hold back from certain I1 firmware updates, especially the later ones, since it seems DJI has implemented "functions" that makes the bird inferior in certain aspects, surely there are a few improvements as well, but the question is if it is worth it.
And like i also said..with DJI unstable firmware updates you will never know if your drone will be the one getting bricked, so you want to limit the firmware updates as much as possible, i can say that the failure rate on DJI firmware updates seems to be way way higher than any other product i have come across.
I´m hardly alone with staying on a lower firmware, and I'm doing it for the same reason as everybody else.

But what I'm thinking is that since i know there are several people staying on a lower firmware some of them must use their I1 X3 camera/gimbal with their OSMO handle?? Or maybe not?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc