Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Updating Z3 camera firmware

Reaction score
I got a z3 yesterday and made couple flights with no issues. Today it's telling me I need update required. Can't figure out how to do it. I have everything up to latest updates with latest firmware on the card. Can someone help me out here?

What do you think of the Z3?
I am considering getting one but am reading mixed reviews.
:):(

You must be a DJI Z3 VIP lol.................everyone has issues with this camera:) Returned
mines back today

The Z3 is a great camera to say the least. I've had mine about a month with approx. 20 flights and no problems. No upgrade needed etc.

Good to hear a positive report. Bad news sells papers was the credo of the press and bad news certainly makes the forums.
I keep reading about all of the posters having problems with their Inspires and I have had none. In the end, these most often are a pilot error issue.
Thanks for the positive report.

Reactions: dasko
got a z3 camera couple weeks ago. Had some issues. (Not issues everyone else has been having) Turns out it was a bad camera. Called Ralph at flyhighusa. he sent me a new camera the next day even before I sent back the other one. I thought that was great customer service.
Tried the new camera today. Updated the new go app. Everything seems to be working good, no issues with lag or anything like that but I record video at 1080. That's good enough for what I do.

Give Ralph a shout if you're looking for this camera. He treated me right.

One bad apple doesn't spoil the whole bushel. I'll continue to save up for one and keep my eyes open.

I just got my Z-3 camera today and have done three test flights with no issues. When first connecting the Z-3 to my inspire 1 I had to calibrate my controller, that took me every bit of about five minutes. I am very satisfied with the ease of installation and use. I might have to look for another carry case for the Inspire 1 to keep everything together. the storage case for the Z-3 camera won't fit in my original case. I was first turned off about the camera after reading a few comments from other owners who were in the the process of returning their Z-3 because of issues, I glad I made the purchase. I don't foresee any issues in the operation of my drone or Z-3 camera.

Well girls and guys this is day two of ownership with my new Zenmuse Z-3 camera on my DJI Inspire 1 drone. I've been looking for reasons why I shouldn't like this new camera and can't find a one. I have done three flights day alone with the two or three flights yesterday and my smile is bigger then ever. Image capture is very good along with video. I glad I didn't put off my purchase.

I don't know what to tell you other then I've had my Z-3 camera for two days now and am completely satisfied. I am using this camera with my DJI inspire 1 and the results are phenomenal. No issues with the install or how do use it. There was no firmware update required. Make sure you have the most recent firmware update on your aircraft and controller. Your DJI Go app will automatically recognize your drone with the new Z-3 camera. Everything I have mentioned is what I have experience with the use of the camera.

I don't know what to tell you other then I've had my Z-3 camera for two days now and am completely satisfied. I am using this camera with my DJI inspire 1 and the results are phenomenal. No issues with the install or how do use it. There was no firmware update required. Make sure you have the most recent firmware update on your aircraft and controller. Your DJI Go app will automatically recognize your drone with the new Z-3 camera. Everything I have mentioned is what I have experience with the use of the camera.
Also update the new go app. that came out this week Was suppose to take some bugs out of the camera. I'm not having any issues with my z3 either.

Also update the new go app. that came out this week Was suppose to take some bugs out of the camera. I'm not having any issues with my z3 either.
I did a second test flight this was the the first using the new go app 2.9.1 definitely didn't noticed any lag and transmission break up was at a minimum, which is better than before. The only real issue is when filming in 4K I can hardly make out what I'm looking at on my tablet.... It's really bad....

Reactions: BCF
Lmao..... So many bad pilots... Except you two..... You must be an astronaut :)
ive seen some real idiots out there , so i agree on the bad pilot thing. ive had mine a year this month no issues flying, just DJI firmware updates

the only think i can say they should have improved on was the MP size, 12mp is just crap for how capable this company is of making good things.
can any one comment on the actual picture taken at full zoom and then on your pc zoom in and see if the image is still very clear to pickup faults in things like bolts or cracking concrete walls ?

ive seen some real idiots out there , so i agree on the bad pilot thing. ive had mine a year this month no issues flying, just DJI firmware updates
How can you have had your z3 for a year and it only came on in July 2016?.... His bad piloting was in reference to his z3 working while everyone's isn't .... Read the pos before you reply kappa

How can you have had your z3 for a year and it only came on in July 2016?.... His bad piloting was in reference to his z3 working while everyone's isn't .... Read the pos before you reply kappa
take your own advice.. i commented on your comment about pilots you noob, then i said i had my INSPIRE for a year not a Z3 camera ...
(
Lmao..... So many bad pilots... Except you two..... You must be an astronaut :) YOU
ive seen some real idiots out there , so i agree on the bad pilot thing. ive had mine a year this month no issues flying, just DJI firmware updates ME) i should have put inspire

interesting comments about various skills etc being the cause of the camera problems.
Ive been an aircraft engineers for over 30 years and a Commercial pilot for close to 15 years. Ive been flying quadcopters for around 5 years and have over 500 hrs logged in my inspire. I also instruct the Cert 3 Aviation - Remote Pilot - Line of sight and deliver the course for drone operators to get their CASA Controllers Certificate. I dont consider myself a "noob" nor do i think it is my lack of skills causing my problems with the Z3 camera.
Yes the footage taken from the camera is fine and I am more than happy with this. I only shoot in 1080.
However,
1/ My gimbal often does not self centre without me giving it a nudge (a small issue i agree, but this thing costs around $1600 in Australia)
2/The video feed is inconsistent, laggy and will tend to drop out all together at a range of around 100m (i only shoot at 1080, and this poor signal is not while i am recording)
3/ When pointing the gimbal straight down, it becomes very shaky to the point of the gymbal gyros "toppling" and becoming unresponsive.

For the cost of this camera, I dont expect my experience to have been degraded and the capability of my inspire to be significantly degraded. The problems I have highlighted here are not uncommon and there are many many reported instances of the same problem. If DJI were to come forward and acknowledge these problems and say they are working on a solution, i would be patient. But nothing has come from DJI, and now I read of all these pro operators" that are having no problems with their Z3 and are completely happy. I am now wondering if maybe there has been a bad batch and some of us have bought lemons. This being the case, no amount of waiting is going to help us.

Im going to be contacting the brilliant team at Rise Above in Australia and returning my camera. It doesnt seem a fix is going to be in the near future. For those planning to buy this camera, best of luck with your roll of the dice and getting a camera that will add to your investment

Last edited:
We have had the z3 for about a month as well. When it works it's it pretty decent. As far as the zoom goes it's isn't very smooth so don't expect to zoom mid shot. It's more of a set the zoom and leave it alone.

The issue we have had is the video drop is really bad with the x3. Sometimes it is so inconsistent that we can't even use it. It happens with our x5 once in a while but not nearly as bad. It's extremely frusterating because we also fly a P4 mostly for fun or small jobs and have zero issue with video transmission. This isn't on long range flights either. We can't the more than a few hundred feet away with the x3, sometimes less and get black screen and tons of lag when it actually comes in. The inspire has been nothing but problems for the most part. I have been flying dji product for many years and our inspire frustrates the **** out of me. Such an amazing drone for so many reasons but doesn't perform like it should as far as video transmision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swast1930