Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Using DJI Focus with Inspire 2

Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience using the DJI Focus with an Inspire 1 or 2? I own it and use it with my Ronin and would like to use it with my Inspire 2. There seem to be two options for mounting:

1) Mount the complete unit (DJI Remote Controller Focus Mount | DJI Store)

or

2) Just mount the hand wheel (Buy Inspire 2 - DJI Focus Handwheel Remote Controller Stand | DJI Store)

Aside from the lower cost, I think just using the hand wheel would be preferable. Is there any significant advantage to using the complete unit?

Reactions: Inspire1vision
Does anyone here have experience using the DJI Focus with an Inspire 1 or 2? I own it and use it with my Ronin and would like to use it with my Inspire 2. There seem to be two options for mounting:

1) Mount the complete unit (DJI Remote Controller Focus Mount | DJI Store)

or

2) Just mount the hand wheel (Buy Inspire 2 - DJI Focus Handwheel Remote Controller Stand | DJI Store)

Aside from the lower cost, I think just using the hand wheel would be preferable. Is there any significant advantage to using the complete unit?
I have the Focus-wheel on order and have a big question myself, will this work to adjust focus in a single operator mode?
Have tried many ways to get a straight answer but so far nothing, have contacted store, technical support, dealers, forums etc but no clear answer.

Only reply I got so far was from a person that was using it in duel RC setup, Master and slave, and in his testing it would not adjust the focus on master RC, only worked on slave. He mentioned he could adjust aperture on the Master RC. Might be a fw needed to get it to work, or is it only going to work in 2 operator config, if so a dead horse for me since I would use it in single op most of the time.

I think it will probably need a firmware update somewhere to make it work properly. When the focus wheel was first released with the osmo pro, it didn't work properly (I seem to recall it operated the aperture rather than focus) and either the osmo & X5 needed a firmware update, or DJI go needed a new release - I can't remember which it was now.

So,it's probably something similar and will need a new firmware or DJI go version before it works properly.

I think the wheel must repurpose some of the canbus signals that the original DJI Focus sends - that has several buttons which can be used to switch the focus ring between operating the focus and the aperture. The smaller focus wheel doesn't have those buttons and so the switch needs to be done in software, so that's probably why it's operating the aperture in single operator mode - the option isn't yet in DJI go to switch it to focus mode.

I think it will probably need a firmware update somewhere to make it work properly. When the focus wheel was first released with the osmo pro, it didn't work properly (I seem to recall it operated the aperture rather than focus) and either the osmo & X5 needed a firmware update, or DJI go needed a new release - I can't remember which it was now.

So,it's probably something similar and will need a new firmware or DJI go version before it works properly.

I think the wheel must repurpose some of the canbus signals that the original DJI Focus sends - that has several buttons which can be used to switch the focus ring between operating the focus and the aperture. The smaller focus wheel doesn't have those buttons and so the switch needs to be done in software, so that's probably why it's operating the aperture in single operator mode - the option isn't yet in DJI go to switch it to focus mode.
Thank you for that, sounds plausible.

On further inspection I see the hand wheel cannot be separated from the complete unit as I had thought. I ordered the cable to connect it to the remote and will report back on how it works, but looks like my only option is to mount the complete unit.

If you're referring to the smaller handwheel, it can be separated by buying the longer cable - albeit, only by 1.2m instead of 0.3m.
Yeah I was aware of this. I was curious to hear differences between using and mounting the complete DJI Focus unit (Buy DJI Focus | DJI Store) vs. just the handwheel (Buy Osmo Pro/RAW - DJI Focus Handwheel | DJI Store). I mistakenly assumed the handwheel could be removed from the complete unit, but I see now that they are distinct products. I own the full unit but cannot remove the handwheel.

I can't give you any feedback on handwheel use with the I2 as I haven't a cable/mount yet, but can with the osmo.

The handwheel is a simplified version of the DJI focus - it's basically limited to either focus or aperture depending on your selection in djigo, it's small, simple and functional... does what it needs to do with no fluff. It probably is just like removing the wheel from the bigger unit, but with a couple of functional losses - mainly it doesn't have the programmable buttons.

You can set focus range using the hard stops, and racking speed by tensioning the central part of the wheel. On the osmo, it adds weight, but not too much (i.e. The unit isn't featherweight). It mounts easily & quickly with the single rear rosette screw. The white outer wheel is writable, and removeable.

I've found that, coupled with focus peaking, it works smoothly and well.

Reactions: daedalum
I can't give you any feedback on handwheel use with the I2 as I haven't a cable/mount yet, but can with the osmo.

The handwheel is a simplified version of the DJI focus - it's basically limited to either focus or aperture depending on your selection in djigo, it's small, simple and functional... does what it needs to do with no fluff. It probably is just like removing the wheel from the bigger unit, but with a couple of functional losses - mainly it doesn't have the programmable buttons.

You can set focus range using the hard stops, and racking speed by tensioning the central part of the wheel. On the osmo, it adds weight, but not too much (i.e. The unit isn't featherweight). It mounts easily & quickly with the single rear rosette screw. The white outer wheel is writable, and removeable.

I've found that, coupled with focus peaking, it works smoothly and well.

Thanks for that. Sounds like that's all I need. I would really just need to pull focus, otherwise I'm happy to adjust aperture in the app or through the remote. But since I only own the full unit and the handwheel isn't removable, that's what I'll go with. I did a test earlier today with the 1.2m cable and it works great (after updating the firmware).

I've just received both and still working out the kinks. The wireless ff system has focus, iris, and zoom. (I haven't tested the zoom yet). I tried to get it linked via the 5.8 wireless attachment and have had no luck. The sequence for pairing was crazy a sequence of buttons and beeps - never got it to work. Times short and the cable was long. Worked fine. Anyone know how to pair it?

The hand wheel seems to work fine but the attachement didn't come as a package (slightly grayed out on website) and wheel seems like it would add more weight to controller. We've been carry around wireless ff on a lanyard if not actively focusing using cable.

I have the focus wheel and while I have only used it a few times, it seems to work well with the I2. I received the connecter from DJI last week.

Reactions: Advexure
For those who use the focus wheel, can you tell me how much actual rotation of the wheel (roughly in degrees) affects the focus of the 15mm stock X5S DJI lens? There is a video online at Inspire 2 - Focus Hand Wheel (Do Not Buy Yet!) that shows the difference between infinity and close up as only perhaps 10-20 or so degrees on the wheel (usable motion), with the remainder of the wheel motion really not impacting the focus. If this is the case, and the wheel's sensitivity cannot be adjusted, I question the value of the focus wheel.

Is your experience similar?

Thanks in advance.

Barry

Reactions: SanCap
For those who use the focus wheel, can you tell me how much actual rotation of the wheel (roughly in degrees) affects the focus of the 15mm stock X5S DJI lens? There is a video online at Inspire 2 - Focus Hand Wheel (Do Not Buy Yet!) that shows the difference between infinity and close up as only perhaps 10-20 or so degrees on the wheel (usable motion), with the remainder of the wheel motion really not impacting the focus. If this is the case, and the wheel's sensitivity cannot be adjusted, I question the value of the focus wheel.

Is your experience similar?

Thanks in advance.

Barry

I have the focus wheel and find the video you referenced accurate. I have read that in the future there will be an update to be able to calibrate the wheel to different focal length lenses. I do find the wheel better for focusing than the tap method on the screen.

SanCap,

Thank you for your prompt response. In its present state, is the sensitivity acceptable to adjust the focus, and do you find it preferable to auto focus?

SanCap,

Thank you for your prompt response. In its present state, is the sensitivity acceptable to adjust the focus, and do you find it preferable to auto focus?

I do believe it is sensitive enough, with focus peaking it helps me fine tune the focus. Here in sunny Florida I am always using a full hoodman sunshade which makes it difficult to tap focus, the wheel solves that issue for me. Maybe you can borrow one from someone and give it a try before you buy.

I just measured it and got closer to 40 degrees from close up to infinity. It works beautifully, very nice smooth focus. Since it is tough enough to use
while flying (as a single operator) I am fine with the way it is set up now. That said, I doubt if I will use it much, 99% of what I shoot is at infinity.

Reactions: Advexure

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wild2Game