Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What LUT for the X5S

Reaction score
Website
www.oyibo-vfx.com
Hey

Friday I will pick up my new top of the line MacBook Pro. As I just noticed, Color Grade Central published today their new update...... for an additional $50,00 for the most simple app. At an addition to the full license I already have
So, I like ColorFinalePro, but not that much.
So... I think I switch to Coremelt with their brand new Chromatic (I have their complete X pack)
But I was actually wondering... when filming in D-Log, what is the best available LUT for the X5S?
GroundStation has some nice ones for the Mavic but (for me) not good enough for a high end camera like the X5S

You could use DaVinci Resolve 14 as it has some DJI LUTs in it. However, since that program also has the x-rite ColorChecker and their Video Calibration targets within it, it might pay to use it (Freeware for both Mac and WIndows, or $299 paid Studio version with more features like NR and FX stuff.) and set up a LUT profile based on your camera, lens, and shooting conditions. I think that software is also what is shown with some of the DJI X7 camera ads as well. The PDF manual for it is long, some 1,300+ pages, so it takes some learning.

I've tried DaVinci but nothing that FCPX can't do. For me as a semi prof that is....
Chromatic is also fully compatible with X Rite Passport and Tangent. Better spend my money on that Tangent imho

Reactions: aldotdat
Finale is a free update if you've colorfinalepro. It's just the add-on colorist looks for the extra dosh, and then an extra extra amount for access to their tutorials. So you should be able to go into ColorFinalePro and check for and download their new update 1.8. At least that's how I read their e-mail.

Last edited:
Hahaha...
I've installed the update. Have the extra option with the color bar and it doesn't work.
I run MacOS 10.13 but no go.
I had that before and they said it's because of the beta but no beta this time.
I'll leave it on my Mac but will buy the Coremelt Chromatic anyhow

Paul Leeming has created a universal LUT for Panasonic cameras (he’s also working on one for the X5S) that works well on dlog. It’s not perfect but it does give you a fairly accurate Rec709 base to work from without creating too much noise.

Check it out at Leeming LUT One

Cheers,

Rory

The new CC works now good. But the Coremelt Chromatic works very well too. But need to play more with it. I bought the X-Rite Passport so we'll see

I'm interested in finding good working LUT's as well, but honestly I'm only just starting to get my head around their use as ive never actually needed them before.

does anyone have any good tutorials on how to use luts to their best effect?
ive done a lot of colour work on photos before, but never outside of the normal sliders and graduated filters and stuff. I know colour graduations like teal and orange exist, but I've never had much use for them. however ive been told theyre a lot more useful for video work.

especially when matching footage from different cameras pre full colour editing?

all help is appreciated.

Difficult questions. If you're happy with your results so far, be careful with D-Log and LUT's.
I have not found any good one for my X5S.
Better to use just "normal" and color grade to your needs. At least you have the results to your own needs. I used LUT's a lot but not so much no more. Specially if you just film for YouTube.

Last edited:
I'm relatively happy, But I'm always looking to improve!

I know you can use them to create stylised videos, I'd be more interested in using them to grade dlog footage!

Is it worth getting into?

Color grading is a serious task. A specialized job. So, if you want to get into this, trial and error lies ahead. Not really fixed rules that suits a specific task. There are some videos online with regards to this. Very informative are the ColorCentral and Coremelt Chromatic videos. Learn what colors are first

Yea, its serious work when you are using your judgment to say if the video looks right or not!

I know I'm not going producing anything that needs serious work anytime soon, but to be able to say I know how it works would be worth a lot to the right person, and could add a lot of value to the services I offer!

sorry I've derailed your thread now, I just saw you asking about Luts and had to butt in!

I think you've got me wrong. There is nothing wrong but it's complicated.
But there are a lot of free LUT's around. And with most new updates in Color grading apps, you can make (and share) your own LUT.

I know I can make them in photoshop, export the frame from premier, open it in photoshop, make your adjustments, export it as a look up table.
it'll just take even more eyeballing than I usually have to do.

plus I'm terrible at looking at something so much that when its wrong it doesn't seem like it is! :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lily212