Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What's in a name?

Reaction score
How do you refer to your aircraft when speaking to the general public? I've been using the term "aircraft" because that's what it is according to the FAA, although I also end up using the term "drone" fairly often. Mostly when people think I'm talking about a Piper Cub or a toy quad.

I'm trying to avoid using drone mostly because I think it has a somewhat negative association, at least in the media and much of the public. I'd say about 30% of the time people mention shotguns and/or spying when I mention flying drones, but if I use terms like aerial platform and aircraft they start to see things differently (granted all anecdotal). The press seems eager to report on any "drone" incident, no matter how minor. I remember when a hacker was just a good programmer who did things that didn't follow generally accepted programming practices, not someone who steals credit cards and sways elections. Once others started using the term in a negative fashion most hackers had to stop referring to themselves using that term.

Main reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking about doing some pro work to offset the expense of the equipment, although I'm still in the "just thinking" phase. I've been tossing around a few names for the business with a friend who does consulting and IT work for several businesses in the area. I generally don't think much of his opinion when it comes to marketing, but I'll also consider what he has to say too. He is of the opinion that if I don't specifically say the word drone when marketing an aerial photography business, potential customers won't know what I'm talking about. I'd like to give people a little more credit than that.

Besides, the original drones were targets for AA guns. My I1 Pro is most definitely NOT for target practice!

When I was trained we were told the proper term is "airframe." I agree that there is too much negative connotation to the term "drone." I find that I spend most of my time educating both clients and the public about our UAVs. A little good will and friendly banter diffuses most critics.

I like the term "Bird" during everyday operations. I definitely try to steer away from the drone reference with the public and use UAS. [emoji106][emoji213]

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

How do you refer to your aircraft when speaking to the general public? I've been using the term "aircraft" because that's what it is according to the FAA, although I also end up using the term "drone" fairly often. Mostly when people think I'm talking about a Piper Cub or a toy quad.

I'm trying to avoid using drone mostly because I think it has a somewhat negative association, at least in the media and much of the public. I'd say about 30% of the time people mention shotguns and/or spying when I mention flying drones, but if I use terms like aerial platform and aircraft they start to see things differently (granted all anecdotal). The press seems eager to report on any "drone" incident, no matter how minor. I remember when a hacker was just a good programmer who did things that didn't follow generally accepted programming practices, not someone who steals credit cards and sways elections. Once others started using the term in a negative fashion most hackers had to stop referring to themselves using that term.

Main reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking about doing some pro work to offset the expense of the equipment, although I'm still in the "just thinking" phase. I've been tossing around a few names for the business with a friend who does consulting and IT work for several businesses in the area. I generally don't think much of his opinion when it comes to marketing, but I'll also consider what he has to say too. He is of the opinion that if I don't specifically say the word drone when marketing an aerial photography business, potential customers won't know what I'm talking about. I'd like to give people a little more credit than that.

Besides, the original drones were targets for AA guns. My I1 Pro is most definitely NOT for target practice!
I'd call it what it is, an Inspire 1 Professional. Right off the bat most people will ask what is an "Inspire 1 Professional" which now let's you sell what it is. I've been in Aviation since the 1950s and the Aviation Term Aircraft means everything from a Glider to the Space Shuttle! The Term Airframe means the basic structure less the Engines (Power plants), Propellers, and other Systems. Assemble it all together and you have an Aircraft. As a Federal Designated Examiner for one of my titles I was a DME covering Airframe and Powerplants. As an Owner/Pilot of an "Inspire 1 Professional Quadcopter" you have something to sell, it's not a toy! Good Luck

Sent from my VS995 using InspirePilots mobile app

Last edited:
For all the reasons you mention I avoided drone and used "quadcopter" but no one understood me so I have given up and use drone. Yes, I get initial negative views, but then surprise when I politely mention all the things it can do, or offer to show them some video footage on my phone.

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
Multirotor or copter. And I usually point out that it is mistakenly called drone by the general public.
With my team mates I only refer to it as Inspire, because that's what it is, if it would be a Phantom I'd call it a Phantom.

I've given up and describe it as a drone as that is what the public precieve them as. Calling it ad nausea anything else is not going to change the general publics perception no matter what I or others personally think. On here I call it an aircraft or AC. No big deal what I call it really. It's a mapping tool for me and it's the results that count.

PfCO Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Here in Australia the official name now that CASA ( Civil Aviation Safety Authority ) uses is RPA ( Remotely Piloted Aircraft ), But I quite often call mine CCOS, ( Camera Crane On Steroids ).

I prefer drone, everyone knows what is when I say it. UAS, UAV, bird, Inpsire those all industry terms, half of the people have no idea what that is. But they know drone. It's fairly easy to see how people react to and perceive "Drones" when you mention them. I use that opportunity to explain, dispel perception and portray drones in a positive way. The only way people overcome the negative connotation is to be informed, and that is part of what I do to advance our industry. Just my $.02.

Reactions: IrishSights

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onaldUnino