Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Which video format to shoot in.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a PC and going to be using Davinci Resolve lite for my editing for the time being.

What format should I shoot in for editing on Davinci, MP4 or MOV?

Can you please clear this up for me, I've been reading conflicting info online.

Thanks!

I use MP4 as I also use clips from GOPROs and stuff. But MOV works exactly the same IMO.

You can use either one. Assuming you are shooting with h.264 compression and you have the option to pick the file type, they should essentially be the same compressed video in different "wrappers" that tell the editing system how to read the file. However, if you were shooting in ProRes, you would not have the option of .mp4 - its all .mov.

Resolve is a great program...and if you need any training on it, we routinely refer people to check out www.lynda.com as they have some pretty extensive online courses about it. It is a very complex program once you really dig in (and you very well may already know all this - just adding it in case it benefits anyone else reading the thread).

Have fun with it!

Either one should work just fine, but Florida Drone Supply is right. h.264 compression, no matter what format you save in, is definitely the way to go. It will save you a lot of headaches trying to balance disk space with quality.

If you choose to shoot in ProRes, keep in mind that will take up a lot more space. Depending on the storage space on your drone, you may have to empty it off as frequently as you change batteries. But if you're worried about which one Davinchi likes best, don't. It will handle them both just fine, even within the same project.

Good luck!

You can use either one. Assuming you are shooting with h.264 compression and you have the option to pick the file type, they should essentially be the same compressed video in different "wrappers" that tell the editing system how to read the file. However, if you were shooting in ProRes, you would not have the option of .mp4 - its all .mov.

Resolve is a great program...and if you need any training on it, we routinely refer people to check out www.lynda.com as they have some pretty extensive online courses about it. It is a very complex program once you really dig in (and you very well may already know all this - just adding it in case it benefits anyone else reading the thread).

Have fun with it!

I wonder how long it will take lynda.com to create the tutorials for the new version 14 of Resolve?

Depends on what you are using the video for. For broadcast you want to start with the best quality with the largest color space and highest data rate. You will need all that information to do a proper color correction.

if its for personal use or web only then consider H.264 or the Better quality H.265 Using .mov or .mp4 has no impact on the image because it's just a wrapper

Reactions: The Editor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamwalker4963