Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Why did the picture turn out like this?

Actually both sides are sloping down, it it because of the lens characteristics. It can be minimized by keeping the horizon level and not pointing the camera down or corrected with an editing program. Although when edited you will loose some of the image.

Run it through something like DXO Viewpoint.
you've pretty much had the right answer, but you can still do a lot with that image if you use the right tools.

This appears more like an optical illusion rather than lens distortion. The buildings on the left are parallel and even to the camera lens but the buildings on the right were constructed at an angle in relation to the buildings on the left. This makes it appear as though they are drooping down. I can't see how any software can easily correct this illusion.

I think you're right. I think it's also a bit of both. Also, the fact that the parking spaces are not perpendicular to any building is also odd and adds to the funky look. Pretty odd architecture and parking lot layout if you ask me.

Yeah, I should have pointed out how the parking spaces are angled as well. This all just needs to be explained to the client.

I have tried to edit with lens correction and everything else, but cannot get it looking right. I even sent the photo to a professional editor and it came back looking worse than the original. I found out what the editor can and cannot do. I just captured the picture at the wrong angle. Thanks for everyone's input, greatly appreciated.

Very strange distortion. I do architecture a lot and never seen that. I expect the only solution will be in Photoshop and use a combination of the Distort tool and the Warp tool. Warp can correct the verticals in just the RHS of the image.

Photo Jim is correct. I've even ran into a problem like this while shooting at ground level with our Sony A7s. There were multiple buildings in my shot but I was closer to some buildings that others when I set up my tripod. I leveled the tripod and it made the buildings I was closest to look straight but the others looked slightly tilted. Had a devil of a time explaining it to my boss. SanCap is not totally wrong though either. I've noticed when photographing buildings with out I1 and X3 camera, depending on how close we are to things and how tilted the camera is, there can be distortion of square or rectangular objects like buildings. My suggestion, even if viewing the video, as you shoot, through a small iPhone or Android, look carefully at where you are in relationship to the objects you want to shoot before you press the button. Also, shoot multiple shots, move the quad copter a little, shoot some more, do it again and again if you have the time and battery power. I'd rather have just one or two perfect shots out of dozens, than a few that look odd and that the client doesn't understand why they're "off."

Basically what Dave said. Always shoot wider than you need, especially when shooting raw. Makes it easier when shooting wide angle on lenses with known distortion. Then it gives you room to clean up in post and reframe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically what Dave said. Always shoot wider than you need, especially when shooting raw. Makes it easier when shooting wide angle on lenses with known distortion. Then it gives you room to clean up in post and reframe.

That's a great suggestion John...shoot wide. In video we have cropped the 4K images several times and it holds up well. I'm sure that would be true with the RAW DNG still image.

That's a great suggestion John...shoot wide. In video we have cropped the 4K images several times and it holds up well. I'm sure that would be true with the RAW DNG still image.

Definitely works, I do it all the time [emoji851]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu