Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Why do vendors hide?

Reaction score
There are many vendors who claim to have outstanding service etc. But try to find them! I live in Central Florida and know that there are a few Drone Vendors around, but only the guys in Miami have an address. I need work on my drone, but it will cost more than $200 to ship (including case) and wouldn't mind driving a little instead - but to where? Intra-state shipping is more expensive (according to the UPS Store) and add sales tax, it almost doesn't pay to do business locally, unless you can physically visit them. Do these hidden vendors really want local business?

@heygeorge – Sorry to hear about the situation and lack of local service in your area. A few things I can mention: 1) DJI Authorized Technicians can only be found at select Authorized Dealers who have been able to put their technicians through DJI's training. There really are not that many of these technicians in the US. I can't really speak for the Florida market specifically. 2) Walk-in repair service is difficult to staff when technicians are limited and often working repair service cases most of the day. In our case, our technicians work at a separate location from our front facing local operation and we do not accept walk-ins at our warehouse. 3) Also, a decreasing number of dealers solely work online operations and a lack of brick and mortar presence can play an important role in finding someone you can visit.

By no means are these excuses, but I definitely think they can be contributing factors. For our repairs, we offer inbound and shipping on our negotiated carrier rates which definitely saves quite a bit on retail rates that you would receive at a UPS Store. We'd be happy to see how we could help you but unfortunately I don't think you'd like to take a trip out to CA if you'd like to visit, maybe you do though! :)

Fwiw, you can't even walk into the DJI factory authorized repair facility in CA we hear about. Have to ship it from across the street for $45 which is absurd, along with its paperwork (RMA) that takes sometime to get too. Yuneec did accept walk-ins in the past prior to their layoffs though, but don't know where they are now. There slowness in adapting new hardware seems to have hurt them, imho.

Nikon and Canon still have walk-in centers which are great for pros, but DJI doesn't think like they do when it comes to service. A remote DJI online support person seems to have no clue as to what a drone is at times, or what is wrong other than "Send it in" and off to the next call....

Reactions: Advexure
@heygeorge – Sorry to hear about the situation and lack of local service in your area. A few things I can mention: 1) DJI Authorized Technicians can only be found at select Authorized Dealers who have been able to put their technicians through DJI's training. There really are not that many of these technicians in the US. I can't really speak for the Florida market specifically. 2) Walk-in repair service is difficult to staff when technicians are limited and often working repair service cases most of the day. In our case, our technicians work at a separate location from our front facing local operation and we do not accept walk-ins at our warehouse. 3) Also, a decreasing number of dealers solely work online operations and a lack of brick and mortar presence can play an important role in finding someone you can visit.

By no means are these excuses, but I definitely think they can be contributing factors. For our repairs, we offer inbound and shipping on our negotiated carrier rates which definitely saves quite a bit on retail rates that you would receive at a UPS Store. We'd be happy to see how we could help you but unfortunately I don't think you'd like to take a trip out to CA if you'd like to visit, maybe you do though! :)
I'm not expecting walk-in service, but a local place to drop it off. I'm a photographer, not a software engineer and these DJI firmware upgrades don't always go well. My gimbal wheel now moves side to side rather than up and down since the latest update. It's either send it to someone who understands this stuff, or deal with a DJI Chat

I'm not expecting walk-in service, but a local place to drop it off. I'm a photographer, not a software engineer and these DJI firmware upgrades don't always go well. My gimbal wheel now moves side to side rather than up and down since the latest update. It's either send it to someone who understands this stuff, or deal with a DJI Chat

Gotcha. We'd be happy to connect you with one of our Florida dealers who would be able to assist you with a FW update locally. Shoot us a PM or email and we can see who's closest to you and make an introduction with the respective dealer.

Fwiw, you can't even walk into the DJI factory authorized repair facility in CA we hear about. Have to ship it from across the street for $45 which is absurd, along with its paperwork (RMA) that takes sometime to get too.

Would be great to see DJI open up the Cerritos facility to accept drop-offs but I would say that the second it is opened to drop-offs they're going to have heaps of people at the door trying to inquire on cases inside the facility.

Easy for us to say but leveraging the dealer network to accommodate and facilitate in this service would be the easiest answer.

Gotcha. We'd be happy to connect you with one of our Florida dealers who would be able to assist you with a FW update locally. Shoot us a PM or email and we can see who's closest to you and make an introduction with the respective dealer.
PM sent. My son lives in Pasadena, so you never know when I might darken your doorway!

Hello, @heygeorge. @Advexure has given you sound advice. We are online dealers based out of the Ft Myers area and very active using DJI equipment. Please give us a call or send us a message as we would like to see if we can help you and get you back in the air ASAP.

Would be great to see DJI open up the Cerritos facility to accept drop-offs but I would say that the second it is opened to drop-offs they're going to have heaps of people at the door trying to inquire on cases inside the facility.

Easy for us to say but leveraging the dealer network to accommodate and facilitate in this service would be the easiest answer.

I don't see heaps of people in Nikon when I take stuff into them on Wilshire Blvd. Maybe 2-3 at the most. Best part is the counter people there almost know the issues when they first see whatever it is coming through their door. DJI seems to hide, but their products "have poor quality control issues" too, imho.

Personally, I'd like to see them hire a competent parts person where an owner could call and order some sundry part and get up and flying again rather than deal waiting for warranty, sending photos, dealing with tech analysis, waiting for an RMA, emails, high shipping and insurance costs, phones, etc. nonsense. Some model RC planes and helicopter makers can do it, and so could DJI, but they seem to think "Their way is the best" - albeit slow as ****, often inept, sub-out another defective refurb, and it's costly too. When mine blows chunks, I may opt out of the warranty part with DJI and find a reliable independent so I get my own mess back and not inherit someone else's mess. :(

Reactions: Advexure
Quick shout out to Micheal at Florida Drone supply. 5-minute conversation fixed my issues. Thanks a million!

BTW DJI told me there would be a firmware fix in a couple of months after they told me there was no way to fix the problem now!

Quick shout out to Micheal at Florida Drone supply. 5-minute conversation fixed my issues. Thanks a million!

BTW DJI told me there would be a firmware fix in a couple of months after they told me there was no way to fix the problem now!
So was your 'problem' simply that the gimbal control had switched and was controlling yaw rather than pitch after updating firmware?

Reactions: Scoobywrx05
So was your 'problem' simply that the gimbal control had switched and was controlling yaw rather than pitch after updating firmware?

If it was then that was pretty lame advice from DJI rep I.E. "DJI told me there would be a firmware fix in a couple of months after they told me there was no way to fix the problem now!"

lol

When you first buy an inspire 1, you go through all the settings. There is a number that are "one and done" for a photographer like myself. Because there are many levels in the software and little to no documentation to help an average user out. So yes, there was a setting that I set a number of months ago that got reset. The firmware reset "some" but not all of the earlier settings we had made.

If it was then that was pretty lame advice from DJI rep I.E. "DJI told me there would be a firmware fix in a couple of months after they told me there was no way to fix the problem now!"

lol
I requested a link to v1.1.10.1.40 software to downgrade and was told it was not available and would be dangerous to downgrade, even though the release notes said differently. Asked what I should do, I was told that the bugs would be fixed in the next couple of months and I should wait.

I don't think I will be purchasing any more DJI products.

When you first buy an inspire 1, you go through all the settings. There is a number that are "one and done" for a photographer like myself. Because there are many levels in the software and little to no documentation to help an average user out. So yes, there was a setting that I set a number of months ago that got reset. The firmware reset "some" but not all of the earlier settings we had made.
Then rather than berate dealers would it not have been better to simply post up a thread asking for help as to why your gimbal has switched from pitch to yaw which would have probably been answered in a matter of minutes?
Changed settings is unfortunately an idiosyncrasy of DJI's firmware updates and as has been mentioned on here many times. After every firmware update it is advisable to check EVERY setting that you commonly alter/use to ensure nothing critical has been altered or reset during the update procedure.
Accusing dealers of 'hiding' is misplaced in this instance and ironically a dealer has helped you solve your 'problem'

Reactions: cvanhoose
HeyGeorge,
Sorry you have had trouble in Florida. We are up the road a bit in Atlanta and have a full 12,000 Sq ft service shop complete DJI technical support and repairs. I was just down there last week picking up new motorcycle near Miami and am aware of the drive from there to Atlanta (audio books helped me). While we keep 60 to 80 jobs in house at any time, we are happy to take walk in work as long as you understand that it might not be able to be worked on while you are here. We can diagnose it and give you estimates on site and can ship to you anywhere in the world.

Hope this helps and I wish you good winds!
If you wish to advertise your services can you please contact a member of the admin team to become an approved vendor?
Thank you.

Then rather than berate dealers would it not have been better to simply post up a thread asking for help as to why your gimbal has switched from pitch to yaw which would have probably been answered in a matter of minutes?
Changed settings is unfortunately an idiosyncrasy of DJI's firmware updates and as has been mentioned on here many times. After every firmware update it is advisable to check EVERY setting that you commonly alter/use to ensure nothing critical has been altered or reset during the update procedure.
Accusing dealers of 'hiding' is misplaced in this instance and ironically a dealer has helped you solve your 'problem'

It was not my intent to "berate" dealers. I wanted to find a local dealer that I could work with. I contacted DJI support and became very frustrated with them and searched this forum without finding an answer.

So I apologize if I didn't word my request properly. I read this forum regularly, but rarely post for fear of being "scolded" for not doing a proper search or not asking the right question. So I will continue to refrain from posting!

HeyGeorge, I understand your frustration. between dji recently taking 7 months to send me a tb48 battery and many many hours of my life on the phone talking to them about the problem and my case being "escalated" nearly a dozen times I finally received a battery from them. now for the wasted hours on my end which have literally a monetary value I should have just bought a new battery myself and gave up.

Also I am one of the many people on this forum that can't manage to fly my Inspire 1 with x5r camera without my iPads dropping signal rending my 20K investment basically useless. Every update it has become progressively worse. though I don't agree with the way the moderator is short with many on this forum I do appreciate the difficulty of his or her job. as far as this thread goes could you imagine being a DJI vendor I mean I would say 80% of the techs or support people I speak to from DJI have no clue about there own product Im sure the support they get from DJI is painful at best and I'm sure they are scared to make promises or help people with little to no DJI support. I will say the Vendors at least know the Product that I have dealt with anyway and shown in this forum seem to be driven to help. This is rambling so I will end it with:

I don't agree with the way the Moderator communicates with people and its a shame that you feel you can't speak on this forum as I believe it is the reason it exists. saying that I know exactly how you feel and have been nervous about asking questions.

I am very grateful for this forum and everyone that has put the time into answering so many questions that DJI can't seem to, not to mention trouble shoot problems that DJI doesn't seem to be willing to. This new tech must be extremely difficult to make "kid proof" and I know pilot error is rampant but some things come down to simple customer service.

Thanks for your efforts "The Editor" regardless of my rant.

End Rant.

HeyGeorge, I understand your frustration. between dji recently taking 7 months to send me a tb48 battery and many many hours of my life on the phone talking to them about the problem and my case being "escalated" nearly a dozen times I finally received a battery from them. now for the wasted hours on my end which have literally a monetary value I should have just bought a new battery myself and gave up.

Also I am one of the many people on this forum that can't manage to fly my Inspire 1 with x5r camera without my iPads dropping signal rending my 20K investment basically useless. Every update it has become progressively worse. though I don't agree with the way the moderator is short with many on this forum I do appreciate the difficulty of his or her job. as far as this thread goes could you imagine being a DJI vendor I mean I would say 80% of the techs or support people I speak to from DJI have no clue about there own product Im sure the support they get from DJI is painful at best and I'm sure they are scared to make promises or help people with little to no DJI support. I will say the Vendors at least know the Product that I have dealt with anyway and shown in this forum seem to be driven to help. This is rambling so I will end it with:

I don't agree with the way the Moderator communicates with people and its a shame that you feel you can't speak on this forum as I believe it is the reason it exists. saying that I know exactly how you feel and have been nervous about asking questions.

I am very grateful for this forum and everyone that has put the time into answering so many questions that DJI can't seem to, not to mention trouble shoot problems that DJI doesn't seem to be willing to. This new tech must be extremely difficult to make "kid proof" and I know pilot error is rampant but some things come down to simple customer service.

Thanks for your efforts "The Editor" regardless of my rant.

End Rant.

Emrey, I agree with your comments about DJI which is exactly why I was looking for a local dealer. I actually found 3 that would help and one in particular is not too far away. These vendors will now be my go to for parts and service. I don't mind paying for their knowledge, although many are willing to advise you without charge.

I do dislike being bullied for asking dumb questions, because I am not as smart as "the dog". Or posting a question in the wrong forum, So I will continue to read, but will refrain from writing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegetour